Question What is your favorite, "Oh you thought it was over" moment in a game?

Oh that's definitely in Far Cry 3, my first encounter with a tiger sneaking up on me and suddenly filling my large screen with his lunch-is-served face!

I hadn't met antagonistic wildlife before that in a game, and it was a real shock! Then FC3 had the horrible QuickTime mechanism of mashing a somewhat-random key to fight him off, and I didn't realize it was different from the melee/takedown key. By the time I switched keys, I was sure I was lunch!

However, the RNG god was on my side—but I immediately paused the game to recover my composure :D

Reactions: JunaeBenne

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Recent one would be the "monkey" fight in Sekiro. The first meeting. For me it was one of the most hard bosses in whole game and when I finally defeated it I was really happy. Then... you know what happens next if you played Sekiro. If not, I won't spoil it, but yeah, the "fun" was neverending :p

JunaeBenne

Jan 20, 2021
Visit site
Best thing about playing offline, pausing. I needed to pause quite a bit in Hollow Knight. And I tried Far Cry New Dawn, terrified of snakes & alligators. Couldn't finish.

JunaeBenne

Jan 20, 2021
Visit site
Recent one would be the "monkey" fight in Sekiro. The first meeting. For me it was one of the most hard bosses in whole game and when I finally defeated it I was really happy. Then... you know what happens next if you played Sekiro. If not, I won't spoil it, but yeah, the "fun" was neverending :p
I haven't play Sekiro. There's been so much going on I don't even want to add it to my backlog.

Zloth

Community Contributor
JRPG's love giving you two+ part boss fights. Can't say I would put any of them into a favorites list.

I think my favorite was Dragon's Dogma. (spoiler)You have a HUGE fight against the dragon that stole your heart. Beating it seemed like the logical end to the series - but it wasn't over at all. The dragon opened up a hole to even more terrors to fight. It wasn't expected and, in truth, seemed a little tacked on but I sure had a lot of fun playing in the hole and the eventual, real ending.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Biggest one I can think of is the Sister Friede and Father Ariandel fight from Dark Souls 3's Ashes of Ariandel DLC. Up to that point, Dark Souls bosses throughout the series came in two flavours: either the fight is one single phase, or emptying a boss's health bar triggers a cutscene and a second phase starts. This is the way.

Sister Friede doesn't exactly play by the rules, though. During her first phase, you kill her, she gets back up with some help from her father Ariandel. They proceed to kick your ass together, O&S-style. So you beat them, again. You get a victory notification on-screen and the game drops you a big piece of valuable loot. You set the controller down to catch your breath, relieved that it's finally over, and while you're not paying close attention the stupid wench gets back up AGAIN and basically goes super saiyan on you for a third phase of the fight! Also, did I mention she tends to be invisible a lot while you're fighting her?

The whole thing is ridiculously hard and insanely epic. Beating this boss was more cathartic than actually finishing the campaign or the final boss of the other DLC. He was hard, but Friede is something else. You get to wield her sweet-ass scythe for your troubles and it's just as well that it's cool as heck because getting it is going to take years off your life.

TRENDING THREADS