Question What is my PC worth now?

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I'd like to preface this by saying I'm very much a beginner when it comes to understanding hardware, but I bought a 'mid-range' machine back in July 2017 and I'm planning on selling it now simply because it doesn't get enough use anymore.

I just wanted some advice as to what it's actually worth now. I've copied the specs below so people can have a look (it's got twice as much RAM now). It cost around £1300.

Case: CORSAIR SPEC-03 COMPACT GAMING CASE - RED LED
Processor: (CPU) Intel® CoreTMi7 Quad Core Processor i7-7700 (3.6GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard: ASUS® ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM): 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card: 8GB AMD RADEON RX 580 - HDMI, 3 x DP - DX® 12
1st Hard Disk: 500GB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 16MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive: 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply: CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable: 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling: Corsair H55 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste: ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Extra Case Fans: 2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card: ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking: 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)

What I would do is check Ebay for similar specs. My guess is that it's worth somewhere in the $400 - $600 price range, but I'm not sure what the GPU crisis may be doing to prices. You might be able to make more money by selling the parts individually if the GPU is selling high right now.

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
What I would do is check Ebay for similar specs. My guess is that it's worth somewhere in the $400 - $600 price range, but I'm not sure what the GPU crisis may be doing to prices. You might be able to make more money by selling the parts individually if the GPU is selling high right now.
Thanks for the reply. As you can probably tell by the specs, even for a mid-range (or low?) machine from four years ago I cut back on things like the sound and the hard drive so I could get better RAM and GPU since I had to stick very strictly to a budget.

Do you think someone would want to pay less for it if they wanted to cannibalise it for parts and do the work themselves?

Are there any other parts that look like they might be worth something?

Do you think someone would want to pay less for it if they wanted to cannibalise it for parts and do the work themselves?

Are there any other parts that look like they might be worth something?

Well, I imagine that's what most people would be looking to do with it. I don't buy/sell used parts, so I'm not an expert at this, but I would think someone would give a couple hundred for the i7-7700 and maybe 500 to 600 for the 580 (just because of how tight the market is). You probably can't give away most of the rest except for the RAM. Or maybe someone wants the case and fans, but they won't give much for them.

Maybe list it for sale as a system, and if you can't get what you want, try selling the components individually.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS