What GPU do you have? (4th Qtr 2023)

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
Asus Strix GTX1080.

It is an old fella now, with a limping fan just to drive its age home, but because of its oversized heat-sink, the fan in question still spinning up past 50% and FSR having given a second-lease. It is still holding.

Genuinely looking at having to upgrade in the coming year. need more processing power if i want to push my projects further without waiting forever.

Reactions: Brian Boru
RTX 3080. No real reason to upgrade when the card can run the latest games with path tracing. Will think about a new one if the super lineup turns out to be reasonably priced.
With Alan Wake 2 squishing the 3080 like a lemon when path tracing is enabled, I tried to see if I can get better draw at the silicon lottery.
Managed to get my UV from 950mv/1920mhz to 943mv/1980mhz actually, turns out I've been playing it too safe for months. It's a nice bump, when you consider the card actually runs at 1845-1860mhz stock. Sadly, I'm getting too close to what the card can do with its 320w power limit. Would love a 4070S/4070TiS just to tinker with a new architecture. Ampere doesn't actually scale that well with clocks, stock to oc netted +2-3fps only. vram oc does even less, with 320-bit bus already providing more than plenty bandwidth, even for memory bandwidth intensive uses like RT/PT.
yXcdqPr.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Alm and Brian Boru
Was able to make a pact. So my system (12700k/3070ti) has been swapped to a 4070. The 4070 is my wifes, but will be mine until the 4080 super drops. Going to try to grab it if i can. If i do, t hen ill get that, wife gets the 4070 back and my son gets the 3070ti and then im not buying a card for at least 2 gens since the wife and i game at 1440p and son games at 1080p

Just bought a 4070 Super for 600eur. RT perf/price is excellent, also, it draws over 100w less than my 3080 and has the actual DLSS FG (don't get me wrong,the fsr fg mod is great imo, but the constant UI stutter is just impossible to get used to over time. The more you play, the more you hate it. ) Thought about 7900xt for 740eur, good value cause it's 20% faster in rasterization, but it's 10% slower with rt on, uses a lot more power too. 20G vram won't matter at 1440p for a long time, my 3080 wasn't even using its 10G with PT+FG enabled. It just wasn't worth it paying 120eur more for 7900xt, dealing with extra power/heat/noise and not having dlss if I play with rt on exclusively.

DSpCwaC.jpeg

it's impressive how it can match a 400w card from amd consistently at 4K RT max using just half its power
F2NiVOj.jpeg

Last edited:
Can we just drop the time frame for this thread and state what GPU you are using lol

Well, since my last post here i went from a 3070ti to a 4080super, as some saw from the monthly gaming thread. Since then, its ran amazingly. I know its a pretty negligible difference of roughly 5 percent between a 4080 and a 4080s, still took a big upgrade in FPS and it was even cheaper than buying a 4080, even if i purchased the most expensive aib 4080s to my knowledge

Outside of its new silicon/gpu parts and whatever little difference that makes it very slightly better than a 4080, it has, imo, a sweet looking shround (the most impressive one ive had to date) and obviously crushes everything at max settings for 4k and under (3440x1440 being my main resolution) maybe not as high as a 4090, but the 15-30% different to pay roughly 800 less is a lot better deal than the 4080 which was only paying maybe 3-400 depending on what you bought for a 4080.

So 0 buyers remorse

tkkpN2t.jpg

i still have my 1070 and i'm looking to replace it with the 4070 super, but the more i think about it, it seems like i won't be needing it anytime soon as there's very few games i want/have that need that sort of power. plus my rig is getting on a bit, i have a 750w psu (and a 1500 as backup) and most say minimum require 750w although i think the 4070 runs on 650w so the 750w is advisory to make sure it has enough power.

Who knows, maybe i'll get it when it drops to the lower 400 range or if i feel like i want a treat i'll buy it. But need to pick the right brand/card of course...

Would probably be mostly a waste, assuming the rest of your PC is same vintage as 1070. You ideally want a balance between the main components—CPU, GPU, PSU, Mobo, RAM, storage, cooling—in a PC, to reduce the likelihood of bottlenecking.

I have a 1060 and it'll only get replaced when I build my next PC.

That was my other line of thinking as well. The pc was built/used since 2016 (at least that far back) and there has been zero upgrades to it (the PSU did blow but that was not an upgrade per se)

hardware wise i'm still using the skylake i7 6700k s1151g and 32gb of ram. Admittedly the processor is a bit dated, but it should be good for most games (ok maybe not recommended for alan wake 2, helldivers 2 or BG3) but that said, it should have enough life in it to keep going for a few more years. TBH i can't think of many games on the horizon that warrants play. But yeah, getting on a bit. Perhaps wait a few more years and then commit to a brand new pc.

Last edited:
not the worst silicon lottery ticket I drew here. 3GHz is a no go though, it's either unstable cause of low voltage or the card will exceed the 210w limit and downclock itself pretty quickly.

Ho7DE2n.jpeg

t0EJkyD.jpeg

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS