What genres / albums / artists do you listen to while gaming?

Jan 28, 2020
Visit site
The title says it all.

Sometimes the in-game soundtrack doesn't do it for me, so I'll put on another game's soundtrack, to keep my attenion focused on the game I'm playing, whenever it gets a little boring.

So what do you listen to other than the game's built-in soundtrack?

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Usually I just listen to soundtrack, even in "ambient mostly" games like Dark Souls.

There are few exceptions through. I remember while playing Kohan games I put on the Summoning or Caladan Brood. Atmospheric epic black metal works really well with them.

When laddering in StarCraft II I usually put my Foobar2000 on "random", just lowering the volume so I can hear in-game alerts. What music? Metal in most of it's forms, mostly death/black.

I generally don't listen to any outside audio (music, TV, whatever) while gaming. However, just a handful of days ago I did just that with Skyrim. I was making a hardcore effort to level my smithing to max so I could, for my first time ever, make dragon armor and weapons. I got sick of the banter in towns while grinding so I muted the game and went to my default background music for when I read stuff on the net and that's a YouTube channel called MixHound.

I prefer their continuous streaming station called Chillstep which they describe as Chill, ambient, study music. Basically just easy listening electronica. Unintrusive music for the background.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trestkon
Feb 12, 2020
Visit site
Usually in games that do not require listening carefully to the environment, I put a list of power metal bands, instruments of metal bands.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zoid

Community Contributor
If I'm doing something mindless like doing a long endurance race in Forza, working on my settlements in Fallout 4, or digging out the interior of a mountain in Minecraft, then I will sometimes put on a podcast just to pass the time in a more interesting way.

The one time I've actually listen to other music in place of a game's soundtrack was back in the original Halo Wars. The game had fine music, don't get me wrong, but whenever I played online I would listen to '50s big band music. Don't know why, it just felt right.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Ah yes, that reminded me of something.

Football Manager. Yes, I am guilty of playing this even tho I am horrified to even start thinking how many hours I've put into this series. But yeah, when doing some "managing" I would usually.... listen to/watch some let's plays of the very few people I enjoy. Actually whenever I am active in FM again is the time my YT watch hours are rising. I am sure I am not alone in this ;P

Reactions: Slasken
Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
I feel a bit wrong playing music over a game which has it's own soundtrack, unless it's a racing game or something that doesn't really need ambient/songs for immersion. I don't know why, but I can't bring my self to do it. Between lobbies of multiplayer games I crank whatever I am listening to on Spotify at the moment, which lately has been Boards of Canada, Tame Impala, Tool (you wouldn't have guessed from my avatar I know!).

Reactions: Zoid

TRENDING THREADS