What do you guys think of Intel dropping the "i" in their line-up?

Jan 21, 2020
Visit site
So I'm sure many of you saw the Article on the main page, I was quite surprised to see how intel is going to handle their labeling now.

I'm just going to quote some lines from the original article found on PCGamer.com

Article by: Jacob Ridley

Intel is making big branding changes to its CPUs from its next-gen Meteor Lake chips onwards. From that generation onward, there'll no longer be an 'i' in 'Core i5' or 'Core i7', etc, and instead there'll also be a new 'Ultra' brand to signify the most advanced chips of the generation.

Might be a little confusing at first but the "14th Gen" will not have that included in the product name, so it's something I find kinda weird to get used to, it doesn't "roll" off the tongue as easy as "Intel Core i7-15700K" .

The new 'Ultra' branding will also apply to any chips that are deemed worthy, and Intel says it'll be used to differentiate its "leadership" products from its mainstream ones. Thus, I imagine, meaning the priciest chips will always sit as its Ultra offerings. The difficulty here is how easy it'll be to determine which is better, a non-Ultra Core 7 or an Ultra Core 5, and I look forward to getting that squared away in my brain closer to Meteor Lake's launch.

So I'm assuming that the Ultra will be something like an i9-9900Kx2 or something like that, making the "Ultra" line-up more powerful than just the Intel Core 9 15900K the :"Intel Core 9 15900K Ultra" (Not entirely sure if it will be structured that way or not.) being the ultimate choice.

What do you guys think? is this more confusing or less confusing? I honestly might have been confused myself.

Edit: I found this from another Article not on PCGamer.

Intel's CPU model numbers will continue to include generational numbering to help distinguish them from one another, and the company will continue to use suffix letters to distinguish different product segments. So what would have been an "Intel Core i7-14700K Processor" might now be an "Intel Core Ultra 7 processor 14700K" (Intel says it prefers the word "processor" to sit in between the "Core Ultra 7" part and the CPU's model number).

Reactions: Alm and Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS