What are you playing, thinking, etc thread (for Dec-12 to Dec-18)

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually really dark?? I've only seen one game do that: World War 2 Online. When it got dark, you flat out couldn't play because all you had was a black screen! A few folks would crank the gamma correction and brightness up to max on their monitors so they could at least move around, but I don't think they were really able to play, either. +1 for realism, but I hope they changed it so there was at least a full moon out every night. (Even that wouldn't help much indoors.)

Yes, really dark. I didn't fiddle with my gamma, but I did have the brightness turned all the way up and it was still just a black screen. Dawn and dusk you can kind of see the outline of the sky, but nothing on the ground. At night you can't see anything at all. So I built a campfire, and with that you can see a little bit in about a 7 meter radius. I then learned the torch (not flashlight) blueprint, but you can only really do one thing while carrying a torch, which is carry the torch. You can't hold any tools or weapons while you are holding it. So basically you just stand around until daylight returns.

Tonight I should reach level 5 and will be able to build myself a shelter, put my bedroll down (a bedroll has to be in a shelter next to a fire to be used) and sleep through the night. That will be a huge relief, not just to skip the darkness, but also because I got attacked by a wolf during the last night and only managed to kill it by blindly flailing around with my knife.

Getting really dark isn't that unusual in survival games, unfortunately. In Ark, for instance, you have to change the gamma in game to do anything at night. In most survival games that I play, though, there are options to make night very short. Icarus doesn't have any options at all because it thinks it's too hardcore.

A lot of Last Epoch. LE is a breath of fresh air in the ARPG genre and sit's somewhere between PoE and Diablo 3 when it comes to depth. What I like the most so far is the way you can easily swap skills, respec and make some interesting choices based on the fact that you can spec into two different class specializations. A lot of the skills I have tried so far feel pretty cool, with a lot of nice visual effects. The crafting system is easy to get into and you can craft stuff on the fly, which is something I really like a lot. It's still in beta, so it is not perfect though and right now I'm hoping to see more unique/legendary items that have a deeper impact on your different class skills. Like if you have a spear skill, and a unique/legendary could complement this with something fancy like "Every third spear throw procs a fireball that deals x amount of damage".
I've had this game on my Steam Wishlist for awhile now as I really love a good ARPG, but I've also been a bit hesitant to purchase an Early Access game; but from your description it sounds really encouraging. I'm intrigued by the time travel element they've used. For those who haven't seen it yet:

For myself, I'm still playing Solasta, though I think I'm nearing the end. I really love what Tactical Adventures has done, I hope they were successful enough to continue.

I started up Fallout 4 again, but I'm not sure whether I'll stick with that or not.
Several posts have mentioned Fallout 4 recently, and I've got an itch to go back there myself. I have a modded game state from earlier this year that I was having some technical difficulties with, but I'm leaning in the direction of going back and just starting a new run.

Several posts have mentioned Fallout 4 recently, and I've got an itch to go back there myself. I have a modded game state from earlier this year that I was having some technical difficulties with, but I'm leaning in the direction of going back and just starting a new run.
The first time I played it a few years ago, I got to Diamond City and did a few things, but then quit. I didn't really get that far. I loved it, but I think I just got interested in something else. I'm not sure how far I'll get this time. I really don't have nearly as much time to game as I used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts