Question What are my options regarding Gears of War (1) on pc?

May 10, 2020
Visit site
My current laptop is an i5-8250u with hd620 graphics and 8GB of ram.
I assume this makes GoW-1-enhanced (2015) incompatible...

So, I am looking for the original version of the first chapter from 2007. It should run fine (much newer games run fine).

My problem is that I am not sure where to buy it? Preferably a download delivery.

Also, will it run on Win-10?
Will co-op in campaign be available?

I heard some worrying stuff about this requiring a Windows Live account, which is a dead thing nowadays...

Thanks for your ideas!

You should be able to run the one from 2015 on that, your fps might not be all that high, but if you play on low settings it should be doable. Im not sure how hot itll get on you either.

You should be able to pick it up in the windows store.

Heres someone running the old version with the same graphics and ram as you but the newest one works as well, just isnt a video on it.

Feb 15, 2020
Visit site
Gears of War 1 (Ultimate Edition) is available on the Microsoft Store currently for $9.99. Just type in Gears of War in the search and browse through for a second. You can buy the full game or you can buy Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta) starting at $1.00 for your first month.

You will need a Microsoft Account to order and play however.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
yeah, I know about the MS Store. I think it was on sale, which has finished by now.

Anyway, it'll be a pity to pay $10 only to find out that I am playing in 480x320@15fps... :D

My question was more about how to get the 2007 version and will it run on win10 with coop?

I'll also chime in and recommend Gamepass. The ultimate edition is included on there. Its 1 dollar/Euro for the first month and 3.99 after that to play as much as you like.

If Gears doesnt work well you can play a ton of other games instead. If you for some reason hate all of the other games on there or they won't run you're out of pocket 1 Dollar.

Otherwise its quite likely that MS has made the old game unavailable, it's not on GOG or MS store so your only option would be an old disc copy from Ebay, and I'm not so sure that would even work.

Sorry if thats not the answer you are looking for.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Sorry if thats not the answer you are looking for.

LOL please don't apologize for trying to help! It's a great idea. $1 is nice enough.

Actually, it's for keeping my bored partner entertained, so has to be a coop shooter (and we gone through Borderlands already) that was made until 2015 (later games just don't run well on my laptop).

Since it's two of us and she's very picky about what is "fun", the cost of trying out something is doubled and the risk we don't like it (or it doesn't run) is higher... So, I hope my concerns about spending $10 don't look so silly now.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
No problem. :)

Just checking that you realize though, for example all the Halo and Gears of War games are on Gamepass, you would get to play them for a dollar, as well as a lot else besides.

You dont need to pay the 9.99 for the game if you dont want to. Gamepass is Netflix for games, not Stadia pay for the service and then again for the game.

Reactions: DraxDomax
May 10, 2020
Visit site
update for anyone who might get here from google: 10-20 fps, depending on area and characters. Needless to say, lowest settings. Not something I would play myself (and I wouldn't play this game myself anyway) but as a support and companion to my partner, it kinda works.

TRENDING THREADS