What Anti-Virus Anti-Malware do you use/recommend?

PCG's recent article…
…recommends the following, in order of preference:
1. Bitdefender Total Security 2021
2. Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2021
3. McAfee Gamer Security
4. Webroot SecureAnywhere
5. Avira Free Antivirus

Of those, I used Kaspersky and McAfee in the 00s. Kaspersky was very good, McAfee not.

I think Norton was my first, because I loved Norton Utilities in the 90s. But the Norton brand gradually degraded after Symantec bought it, so I moved on.

After the previous 2, I used Eset's Nod32 for years, it was excellent and unobtrusive, and would be my 2nd choice today if it's stayed on track.
For the past 5+ years I've used MalwareBytes Premium—I forget why I switched, probably added some extra layer I wanted. It's been excellent.

I haven't stayed current on the industry, so I can't recommend beyond what I said above. I can say that if you're careful online, then Windows Defender—free with Windows—is probably good enough for you. I'm careful but I run an online business, so the extra layer is good insurance as a hit would be potentially much worse for me than if gaming was my only PC activity.

How about you?

I have a subscription to Bitdefender but it wouldn't install on Win 11 for some reason. So I'm currently using Windows Defender, which I had heard was probably good enough these days. I'm surprised at McAfee being on the list, although maybe convenience is a high factor for a lot of people.

CParsons

Staff member
Given I don't really do anything on my Windows box other than play games, I just stick with Windows Defender. Back in the day though, like yourself, I was a fan of Nod32 because it ran great and didn't feel like a virus itself like some of the others tend to. Norton and McAfee for me were the worst viruses ever. :LOL:

I use Avast Free Antivirus. Free, does not take up many resources, and it does the job. Yes, you get some annoying messages from time to time, saying that you need to pay for better security, but that is just their type of marketing, which obviously sucks. I also use Malwarebytes from time to time, just to add an extra layer of protection. I play games as @CParsons mentioned, so I don't really see the point in getting anything more than the free stuff. Nowadays most people have separate PC for work anyways, which got tons of layers of protection already installed, with prompts to change passwords and info on how to use programs in a safe manner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alm and Brian Boru
two is excessive, they may see each other as a threat

I have a subscription to Bitdefender but it wouldn't install on Win 11 for some reason.

I use bitdefender on win 11, but I didn't clean install win 11, I updated from 10, so could be why it works. Have you checked with Bitdefender forums to see if there is a fix?

I used to use Avast but their constantly wanting me to buy things (when I had a subscription already) drove me away.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Since 2002 when i got my first pc i had always used different versions of norton , i stopped using it 6 years ago and changed to kaspersky paid for because norton suddenly became resource hungry.

I also use malwarebytes and defender but dont have them running in the background i run them once a week.

Several years ago i tried Macafee but i got rid of it because it was missing things that malware bytes was finding.

I really hate AV software, as it sometimes feels they're so intrusive that they're almost a virus themselves. But, they're just a fact of life if you play games on a PC. And to be honest, I really haven't spent much time investigating the pluses & minuses of each different program.

I'm currently using Trend Micro. It's a paid yearly subscription, which I don't really like, but I consider it an annual expense much like car insurance; it's there if I need it. I've been using it for about 3 years now, and don't really have any complaints. It does it's job (so far) and doesn't interfere with any games of when I mod games.

McAfee to Be Acquired by an Investor Group for over $14 Billion

It's rarely good news when an investor group buys a company, as it then becomes ALL about the money—those guys are looking for RoI, nothing else. Things like product quality and customer service are only relevant in as much as they increase profit.

If you use McAfee, I wouldn't ditch it just yet tho. The likely thinking is that they can capitalize on the growing work-from-home market, which should be a good cash cow for a few years. So they should be buffing the service for a while, rather than the more usual stripping it down which investment groups do—the more you can reduce costs, the better short-term profit should be.

Dec 6, 2021
Visit site
PCG's recent article…
…recommends the following, in order of preference:
1. Bitdefender Total Security 2021
2. Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2021
3. McAfee Gamer Security
4. Webroot SecureAnywhere
5. Avira Free Antivirus

Of those, I used Kaspersky and McAfee in the 00s. Kaspersky was very good, McAfee not.

I think Norton was my first, because I loved Norton Utilities in the 90s. But the Norton brand gradually degraded after Symantec bought it, so I moved on.

After the previous 2, I used Eset's Nod32 for years, it was excellent and unobtrusive, and would be my 2nd choice today if it's stayed on track.
For the past 5+ years I've used MalwareBytes Premium—I forget why I switched, probably added some extra layer I wanted. It's been excellent.

I haven't stayed current on the industry, so I can't recommend beyond what I said above. I can say that if you're careful online, then Windows Defender—free with Windows—is probably good enough for you. I'm careful but I run an online business, so the extra layer is good insurance as a hit would be potentially much worse for me than if gaming was my only PC activity.

How about you?
have you ever tried eset nod32 antivirus?? I use it until now, because this antivirus is very light and can be updated every month with a full trial version at no extra cost.