What age are you?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

What's your age range?

• Gamer in training

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-19

• 20-29

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • 30-39

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • 40-49

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • 50-59

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • 60-69

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • 70-79

• 80-89

• Dirt is younger

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is that the true statistics?
USA figures:

"average age of gamers is now 35 to 44 years old"
"61% of adult gamers play on smartphones, while 52% play on consoles and 49% on PCs "

Can't find worldwide offhand, but been seeing the same number in recent years.

Reactions: WoodenSaucer
I'm getting older, but I can still hold my own in fps games. When the time comes when I can't win a single battle royale match (not even in Super Animal Royale), then I know I am really REALLY old. Though I have a sneaking suspicion that if I still play games when I am 80-90 years old, I'm probably just going to win by using my accumulated wisdom over centuries and camp in some bush until the last circle. Then I'll crawl my way into the last circle, all bruised up on my knees, lobbing a stun nade, and finish the guy off with a tactical well-placed shot in his back with my RPG.

I'm getting older, but I can still hold my own in fps games. When the time comes when I can't win a single battle royale match (not even in Super Animal Royale), then I know I am really REALLY old. Though I have a sneaking suspicion that if I still play games when I am 80-90 years old, I'm probably just going to win by using my accumulated wisdom over centuries and camp in some bush until the last circle. Then I'll crawl my way into the last circle, all bruised up on my knees, lobbing a stun nade, and finish the guy off with a tactical well-placed shot in his back with my RPG.
I'm on another forum that has a guy who is something like 80 years old. Don't ask me how, but he has something like 20,000 hours in Dragon's Dogma, and I'm not exaggerating. I think he may be beyond that now.

I'm getting older
Huh, me too. I wonder is it contagious—anyone else? Is there a vaccine to guard v forum bugs?

Meanwhile, please stand 6 feet from your keyboard and wear a mask while typing.

something like 20,000 hours in Dragon's Dogma
10-15 years ago when I was hooked on Civ4 and hung out at the wonderful CivFanatics forums, there was a small group there for whom Civ was the only game they played. Many of them had been at it since Civ1 in 1990!

Malcolm Gladwell claimed it took 10,000 hours to master something. Not everyone agreed:

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Hmm yes, a leader emerging halfway thru the first lap :)

No surprise, given average of gamers is ~35.

I presume the average will constantly grow in the future as gamers will get older and older. We're still long before the times when the first generation of dedicated gamers reaches retirement age. Not all of them will play games till they get old, but some of them will for sure.

Is that the true statistics?

It looks pretty much the same in Poland. There's a regular research being done on this topic here.

10-15 years ago when I was hooked on Civ4 and hung out at the wonderful CivFanatics forums, there was a small group there for whom Civ was the only game they played. Many of them had been at it since Civ1 in 1990!

Malcolm Gladwell claimed it took 10,000 hours to master something. Not everyone agreed:

Was Civ 5 the ugly stepchild and easier than the rest? Because I have 232 hours and never lost a game even on Diety. In fact, I quit because it wasn't challenging. Been meaning to fire up VI and give it a try, though.

One thing that might have messed up the difficulty was that I played everything on the most accelerated settings. Played a lot of complete games in that 232 hours. Well, not every game. I think I played the first 2 or 3 on normal speed. I also like the biggest map settings.

Reactions: Pifanjr
I presume the average will constantly grow in the future as gamers will get older and older. We're still long before the times when the first generation of dedicated gamers reaches retirement age. Not all of them will play games till they get old, but some of them will for sure.

It looks pretty much the same in Poland. There's a regular research being done on this topic here.

I'm in the first generation of dedicated gamers--by my standards--and I'm about 15 years from retirement age (although I'm seriously considering just not showing up anymore).

Was Civ 5 the ugly stepchild and easier
Definitely not ugly, my fav art style from 4-5-6 by a long way.

Stepchild—yeah, the hexagon was a change from previous Civs, I liked it but took some getting used to. 1UPT [unit per tile] change made a mess for a while, the AI found it difficult to maneuver so combat became a lot easier for the player.

I played everything on the most accelerated settings
Civ is always balanced for Normal everything, so deviating on speed would have an effect. However, it should have made combat more difficult since it's easiest on slower settings.

My main issue with 5 was that it nerfed the wide game, the optimal was if I recall correctly about 4 cities built to the max. In 4 I'd always have at least 20 cities which gave much more a feeling of building an empire, and also far more strategic and tactical choices—a couple outlying to capture important resources, some heavily garrisoned for border control, some production-heavy for military output, and of course the central core of economic and scientific powerhouses.

I also like the biggest map settings
I got tired of lots of civs in the game—every turn would be 2-3 guys popping up with some offer or demand. A big map is also a real drag for later game warfare—the logistics of moving 3-4 large armies around, plus the nerf on capturing cities, didn't do it for me after the first few dozen.

Reactions: Pifanjr
A big map is also a real drag for later game warfare—the logistics of moving 3-4 large armies around, plus the nerf on capturing cities, didn't do it for me after the first few dozen.
Ah, I never really attacked people unless they attacked me first. There was one game I remember when I started nuking Spain to slow them down, but I always went for tech or culture wins and didn't really need much in the way of a military. Alexander the Great and some others constantly mocked me for my weak military haha, but I was always in a position to be able to build out a military in short order if it looked like someone was massing to attack.

My worst game was when I went for a religious victory. I converted every city on the map, and thought, "Why did I not just win the game?" and then realized there were no religious victories in 5. I still managed a tech victory with about 2 turns to spare.

4 sounds pretty fun. I usually only had 3 or 4 cities. May look at 4 during the holiday sale. I tried 6, but, just being honest, it was too ugly for me after playing so much 5. But now that I haven't played in awhile maybe I could do it, but I hate how you build roads in 6.

Last edited:
66 and made comments about my gaming history in another posting.
Age is only a number but some numbers are bigger than others lol

Brian Boru .... I read your link about clever people , its a well known fact that very clever people are so into what they are good at they have little knowledge about everyday life. If you asked a rocket scientist where milk comes from ( a cow ) he would probably say a supermarket.

Last edited:
I'm in the first generation of dedicated gamers--by my standards--and I'm about 15 years from retirement age (although I'm seriously considering just not showing up anymore).
I'm 49 years old, and I'm probably like 50 years away from retirement age.

66 and made comments about my gaming history in another posting.
Age is only a number but some numbers are bigger than others lol

Brian Boru .... I read your link about clever people , its a well known fact that very clever people are so into what they are good at they have little knowledge about everyday life. If you asked a rocket scientist where milk comes from ( a cow ) he would probably say a supermarket.
I just watched an episode of Fringe where Walter was trying to create some kind of chemical concoction to make his cow produce chocolate milk.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts