Weekend Question: What's an old game you've come back to years later?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently playing Angband again, that's probably the game with the earliest release date I have come back to. However, I first played it in my late teens I think. As far as games I played as a kid that I still come back to, there's Age of Empires 2, Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth 2, Pokémon and Black and White (I recently tried to get my wife to play it, but the tutorial sucks pretty bad, so we haven't gotten very far).

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Quake 1. It's a nice experience even after all these years, especially if you decide to pick a sourceport that meets your expectations (QuakeSpasm and DarkPlaces are one of the best). You can even mod the game to the extent that it almost resembles a modern FPS. The level design and character movement are of top notch even today. I regularly replay the game using different mods and it still brings me a lot of fun! It's one of the best FPSs in history of gaming.

Sep 26, 2020
Visit site
So many! I've been on a bit of a retro crusade lately ...

Homeworld Remastered
Age of Empires 2
Galactic Civilizations 3
Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion
Currently playing: Imperium Galactica 2 (a hidden gem!)

You can tell what kind of games I enjoy :p

Sep 27, 2020
Visit site
I had Heroes of Might & Magic III HD on the backlog for some time now, so I suddenly had the urge to replay it. Then I realized that it doesn't have the expansions, so I went to GoG and picked the full edition for close to nothing, installed the HD+ mod and I am replaying all of them. Needless to say, the game still holds up against any of its sequels and would be successors. You just can't beat HoMM III.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Every few years i go back to "The Ur-Quan Masters" (I first played it when it was starcontrol 2) this game is a masterpiece.
Did you ever play SC: Origins?

Freedom force, I play that from time to time still its aged very well due to the cartoon graphics and the gameplay is pretty solid.
What do you do with the custom hero system? I remember back when I played FF, that custom hero got so strong that the rest of the team wasn't needed at all.
My tip for DAI and ME:A is don't try to do everything, the game feels much more natural if you skip half the side quests and do them on a second playthrough, it cuts the time down to around 50 or so hours and makes the game feel less tedious. Though i find that helps in tons of RPGs anyway, but these open world ones it really helps.
Not a chance! But I've got time to do all that stuff - good advice for those people that don't seem to be able to finish games anymore.

Sep 25, 2020
Visit site
What's one that you've returned to, perhaps because of an update, and how did it compare to your memories?

I recently came back to Empire. A wargame from 1987 - simple but addictive.
https://www.old-games.com/download/325/empire

Many modern games get lost in their extra features - sometimes simple ideas well executed stand the test of time. I wish someone would port it to mobile.

Reactions: Irays and Krud
Sep 27, 2020
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week the question is: What's an old game you've come back to years later?

Left 4 Dead 2 has just added a new campaign. RuneScape is coming to Steam. Old games refuse to die. What's one that you've returned to, perhaps because of an update, and how did it compare to your memories?
I still go back to Freelancer every now and then just to scratch an itch!

Reactions: Krud
I recently came back to Empire. A wargame from 1987 - simple but addictive.
https://www.old-games.com/download/325/empire

Many modern games get lost in their extra features - sometimes simple ideas well executed stand the test of time. I wish someone would port it to mobile.

The description reminds me of Advance Wars, which I have returned to several times as well exactly because it's simple but well executed.

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
Jade Empire and Knights of the Old Republic. Bioware used to be the undisputed champion of creating engrossing rpg worlds, I revisit these from time to time to relive the "good" days of Bioware.

Sep 3, 2020
Visit site
Actually it is left 4 dead. I remember always playing it with my best friend. I haven’t talked to her in years, so I found her up on Facebook and sent the link to the update. And turns out she saw it took. So we finally talked in years, and I missed her and had a bunch of great memories with her and this games. So yea I’m kinda happy that the game gave me something to talk about with her cause you know how life be happening. Well yea.

Reactions: Krud and Pifanjr
I knew in advance some of these were going to make me think, "Wait, you call THAT an old game?" But most of these I'd agree with.

The most recent old game I revisited was Daggerfall, though it was the Unity engine remaster. I'd forgotten not only just how much I enjoyed that one, but also how much The Elder Scrolls has changed over the past couple of decades. It used to be a hardcore "classic/standard" CRPG. Whereas by the time we reached Skyrim it feels more like an Action/RPG sandbox. (Which is great too, but not the same by any stretch.)

Reactions: Oussebon
Sep 29, 2020
Visit site
Gods Bitmap Brothers (Amiga emulator)

Reactions: badman
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS