Weekend Question: How many games have you finished this year?

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week's question is: How many games have you finished this year?

It's OK if you don't remember the exact number, that's mostly an excuse for Fraser to show off, since apparently he keeps a record in a spreadsheet. Give me a rough estimate, that's fine. It's not the number that matters, what I want to know is, did you spend this year playing more games than usual, or did you fall back on old favorite forever games to help you get through?

Feel free to count games you didn't finish on PC. A phone's just a computer you can play games on in the bathroom anyway.

Reactions: McStabStab
zero, same as last year... but I tend not to play games that have endings.

I used to play Journey, it only runs for 90 minutes. So I guess I completed it hundred of times in a year, but does it count if you keep playing?

I guess one month playing Diablo 2 Resurrected is more than normal. Some years I don't play anything, last year I got a new PC and had to play something to see if it was worth the effort. But for most part I played games I already owned and torchlight 2 only ends when you had enough.

I don't like games that end as then you have to find something else to do.

That's a brutal question, because usually I try to play a game from start to finish. This year has been a bit different though (no doubt influenced by the current pandemic), as I have drifted back to a lot of games that I love and have previously played; though I did boldly play a couple newer ones (new to me anyway).

Games Completed, Start to Credits Rolling:
Outer Worlds
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Games Played, Not Finished, But Still Installed :
Diablo 2 Resurrected (current)
Sacred 2
Grim Dawn
Skyrim SE
Fallout 4
Mass Effect Andromeda
Dragon Age Inquisition
Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny

McStabStab

Community Contributor
Five games:

Death Stranding
Little Nightmares
The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine Expansion
Resident Evil: Village
Cyberpunk 2077

But looking back I went on a game finishing TEAR last November. I'm real close to finishing DOOM Eternal and could see myself knocking out It Takes Two and House of Ashes with the wife, wrapping up Titanfall 2, and digging into Assassin's Creed: Odyssey to grind it through. That is if BF2042 doesn't eat up all my time.

Weird list for me, I've played and put down stuff a lot this year possibly because of Gamepass. Apparently almost 50 games started up according to GOG Galaxy.. I've done full campaigns or completed scenarios of:

Suzerain
Battletech
Portal
Halo: Master Chief Edition
Frost Punk
Deaths Door
Battle Brothers
Endless Space 2

Out of those only Suzerain, Deaths Door and Endless Space 2 are new to me this year.

With the last game you completed forum topic i can identify which games i completed. Coming close to 20(!) games on my PC, my retroarch, handheld consoles etc and that's not including the various Doom2 wads i finished.

With an ever growing gaming collection i have little choice but to keep playing the unplayed games. It has its benefits as I play something fresh and new each time. But that said, I did go back to my gaming crack of choice Path of exile whenever there was a new league trying to bag myself some rewards. Each time the league starts i have to play through the 10 act story.

So did i finish more games compared to previous years? Not sure, i haven't kept track of the games i completed previous years and i can skew most of the stats by blasting through my indie games.

2020-2021 has been a blur for me, so I forget which games were finished in which year. Though I don't think I've recently finished any games. I've been playing a lot of open-ended games, or skirmishes like in AoE2.

I *almost* finished Cyberpunk 2077, but I stopped just short of its Point of No Return quest/mission, which... I don't know how much game there is beyond that, but considering it was telling me to first do whatever else I needed to do in the game before starting the mission, I'm assuming it's just a lengthy finale, or a chain of unskippable quests in isolated locations or something. So I ran around doing piddly side missions, including the much-harder-than-I-expected Beat On The Brat missions.

One main game and two browser games: I finished a vortex campaign as Settra in Total War: Warhammer 2 and I completed the 12(?) levels of Creeper World: Abraxis and A Dark Room.

I think I also completed a single player adventure from Hearthstone somewhere at the beginning of the year.

I've had very little time to play this year. I'm hoping next year will be a bit better.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I have a slight problem with finishing games for some time, but managed to do it at least a few times this year. The most recent ones are Disco Elysium and Ghostrunner. Earlier this year there was Control and the whole Metro franchise. I also finished some shorter indie games like Amid Evil and Dusk as well. What more, I played and finished for the second time at least one older title - Pillars of Eternity 1. I'm sure there was something more. It's not a bad record given the fact that I had less time to play games this year. Basically I've focused on newer titles because in the end of the last year I changed my PC to a new one. I had to justify to myself the upgrade somehow... ;)

Zloth

Community Contributor
Good categories @ZedClampet!

Finished proper: Watch Dogs: Legion, Control, Yakuza 2, Trails of Cold Steel
Finished but then they added more content that I'll play later: Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children
Sandbox game that I'm mostly done with: X4: Foundations

So I'll say six games. Troubleshooter plus X4 amounted to roughly 1000 hours, so my completes are down this year.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
It feels like it hasn't been that long since I tried Pillars of Eternity. Is this what getting old feels like?

I still hardly believe it's 9 years since Obsidian announced the crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter for this game. It feels like it was, I don't know, yesterday? The campaign is still fresh in my mind. One of the most beautiful moments in history of PC gaming...

Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr
this year not playing games at all

No games at all? Mind if i ask what the reason behind this idea is?

I *almost* finished Cyberpunk 2077, but I stopped just short of its Point of No Return quest/mission, which... I don't know how much game there is beyond that, but considering it was telling me to first do whatever else I needed to do in the game before starting the mission, I'm assuming it's just a lengthy finale, or a chain of unskippable quests in isolated locations or something. So I ran around doing piddly side missions, including the much-harder-than-I-expected Beat On The Brat missions.

What i did was saved right before the mission, played it through (it is just a length finale if you want it to be, but you can just end it quickly too), then reloaded my save so i can do the rest of the "piddly" lol, sidequets too.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Nov 8, 2021
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week's question is: How many games have you finished this year?

It's OK if you don't remember the exact number, that's mostly an excuse for Fraser to show off, since apparently he keeps a record in a spreadsheet. Give me a rough estimate, that's fine. It's not the number that matters, what I want to know is, did you spend this year playing more games than usual, or did you fall back on old favorite forever games to help you get through?

Feel free to count games you didn't finish on PC. A phone's just a computer you can play games on in the bathroom anyway.
i think i played less games this year cause of so many tight schedules but hopefully i will bounce back next year.

TRENDING THREADS