Weekend Question: Do you remember the first thing you searched the web for?

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week's question is: Do you remember the first thing you searched the web for?

Doesn't matter if it wasn't videogame-related, though the odds of it being a walkthrough or cheat code are probably pretty high. Were you searching for song lyrics, music videos, or RuneScape? Free games, god mode, or Pokémon? Or was it something far too embarrassing to own up to?

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Not so sure to be honest, but two things come to my mind. First thing was a patch for Starcraft 1 which added new features to the map editor. Without them there was no option to force units to use a certain special ability. I tackled with the editor back then making new maps and I missed this feature a lot, because it was a core thing when it comes to creating custom cut-scenes.

Second thing was probably CD Projekt's website. Not everyone knows, but in the early 2000s CD Projekt was a local distribution company which introduced and localized many games on the Polish market. Their website was a good source of news on the newly released games in my country. Besides that you could find tons of additional files there that were related to the games they distributed. These were the reasons why I searched for this website during one of my first contacts with the Internet.

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Oh, jeez. This is oddly specific, but when I got my hands on the internet in the early 90s, my first search queries were Sonic the Hedgehog related, as I imagine were most 10 year olds' at the time. When America Online was introduced to me by a friend, it became framed to me more as this social tool (Public chat rooms, instant messaging) than a search database (I already have that almanac on CD why do I need google?). Most of the websites you would find information on simply didn't exist yet anyway.

I think the first time I really used a search engine was for my work experience placement in 1999 or 2000. It was before Google, and the engine was really bad at giving you results. I think it was called robo-something. Can't quite remember what I was searching for though.

Edit: I think it was HotBot. I found this link of old 90s search engines which brought back memories:

TRENDING THREADS