Watcha playing this weekend? Oct 30-31

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's as far away from a weekend as can be, but I just tried to play a little bit of Warhammer 2 while my wife is cooking only to discover a new patch was released just an hour ago. And for some reason, Creative Assembly has decided that the best way to patch their game, no matter the actual size of the patch, is to copy every single game file and then removing the old files. Since the game is almost 60GB, this not only takes quite a while, it also forces me to uninstall a bunch of stuff to make room for it, as I cannot afford a bigger drive right now.

Wait, are you talking about the very first lamp puzzle? You're doing it right. Just don't kill them. Set them on fire and let them go. They'll eventually stagger into the brazier you need to light and light it for you. Or maybe you need to shoot the brazier to get it closer to them once they are on fire and go to that room. I don't remember. But the first step is to set the guy on fire and let him keep walking. Sorry, I have problems remember game details after awhile. Don't know why.
Very first? Hardly, you have to have the crank just to get access to the boat, so you'd have to at least completed the water bridge puzzle where the big water creature is. Then you go left off the dock where you first get the boat, and take a path up to big double doors, then down a long stairway, and you end up in a room with two pedestal lamps, and two wall lamps, with a lamp in the center on a LONG chain.

I thought I needed a video guide on it, but before even clicking on any to view, the title of one merely said "How to light a Moroaic on fire", which I'd already done numerous times, but somehow that made me realize I could lure the burning enemy toward the unlit lamp merely by standing on the other side of it. The room I was trying to get into has a gold statue of a woman in a dress, and 1 explosive round for the grenade launcher, which I was hoping for.

I also discovered I'd missed some good looting trying to rush past the Lycans in the first part of the stronghold, so I now have access to even more explosive rounds and health. Also managed to find the finest fish and a cave nearby with lots of good loot, including a stabilizer grip for the W870 TAC. I was also mistaken about the one I was dying trying to kill being the 4th boss Heisenberg. Apparently it's just another huge Lycans that wields a hammer like his.

Very first?

I meant the first lamp puzzle. There are more of them. Most of these things aren't really puzzles, though. It's just finding stuff to use on other stuff. It's more like finding keys. They just don't look like keys. Most RE fans were disappointed there weren't more actual puzzles like in the early RE games. In fact, the PCG review claimed that Capcom had given up entirely on puzzles for RE8.

Reactions: Pifanjr
I meant the first lamp puzzle. There are more of them. Most of these things aren't really puzzles, though. It's just finding stuff to use on other stuff. It's more like finding keys. They just don't look like keys. Most RE fans were disappointed there weren't more actual puzzles like in the early RE games. In fact, the PCG review claimed that Capcom had given up entirely on puzzles for RE8.
No I meant it's not the first one. Pretty sure for most the first one is the simple one in the circular Hall of War room. You can't even progress very far until you've done that one. Like I said, you have to at least get the water bridges puzzle done first just to get the crank to get access to the boat, to do the one that has the lamp with the long chain you can use to light up Moroaics.

I'm really liking the game more now, in fact I'd say the stuff at the Heisenberg Factory turned it around for me, lots of cool stuff there. That said, there were some noticeable disappointments. At the time I got the Necklace with Two Holes, I didn't have the Blood Pigeon Rubies. That and the fact that the stone that was already in the Necklace when I found it yielded more net cash with it removed, lead me to believe that was the way to sell it. So I got like 12,500 vs 50,000 for it. Then there was the damned Beneviento Treasure that I missed out on because I didn't find the key to open it in time. I was so ticked off I looked for a command or trainer to noclip into the crypt to get it, but no luck.

I don't think it's going to matter much this playthrough, as I'm pretty well stocked with supplies now. I would have loved to be able to afford that SYG-12 Shotgun though, and with those treasures cashed in, I probably could have.

As far as whether RE8 has puzzles though, I don't get why anyone would say it doesn't. Puzzles come in lots of forms, anytime you have to search for something to fit something, and especially the Labyrinth mini games, those are puzzles. You obviously also have to spend a fair chunk of time on them too, so it's not like the game is void of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZedClampet
I don't think it's going to matter much this playthrough, as I'm pretty well stocked with supplies now.

Your doing well to interrupt the flow and go back and grab the treasures and stock up. Needless to say, if you haven't already done it, I don't recommend triggering the optional boss this playthrough. As mentioned by Guido above, that's what caused me problems because I had 3 boss fights in a row.

If you've grabbed all the treasure, the second playthrough is really fun. That's when you get to start upgrading things to max and maybe even unlocking unlimited ammo on a weapon or two.

Your doing well to interrupt the flow and go back and grab the treasures and stock up. Needless to say, if you haven't already done it, I don't recommend triggering the optional boss this playthrough. As mentioned by Guido above, that's what caused me problems because I had 3 boss fights in a row.

If you've grabbed all the treasure, the second playthrough is really fun. That's when you get to start upgrading things to max and maybe even unlocking unlimited ammo on a weapon or two.
Yeah it was inevitable that I needed to backtrack, retrieve and cash in more treasures, and upgrade. I've beaten only two of the 5 optional bosses, the one that appears in front of you as soon as you go through the gate that requires the unborn 4 winged key, and the big axe wielding giant at the mill. I couldn't even try beating the one that guards the Beneviento treasure, as I discovered the location of the key to unlock it too late. The last one I messed with a bit as I was exploring for more game to shoot and any undiscovered items was the Vorolac Alpha. Little did I know it was WAY harder to kill than the regular Vorolac (guess I should have known with all the spears stuck in it), but I soon gave up in favor of not wasting a ton of resources. I've read the loot it leaves is worth 80,000 though, and if I'd known that before heading to the factory, I may have experimented more with an efficient as possible way to kill it. You can usually only buy limited amounts of ammo from The Duke though, and even if I'd had say 50,000 left over after selling the corpse loot and restocking ammo, I wouldn't have had enough for the SYG-12. My W870 TAC is now upgraded to a little over the base power of the STG-12 though, and that SYG is VERY expensive to upgrade.

I figure it just takes a full knowledge of the game, and getting all the animals, valuables, and loot possible to really have any chance of decking out your arsenal and personal stats really well. Right now I wish I could find more fish, as I just need 4 more of them, which along with the 1 quality meat I have would get me the faster movement upgrade. I DID however manage to get 3 of the cooking upgrades so far, and the last one increases your health greatly.

I'm now about to go through the door to fight the big mechanical beast, which I guess is considered to be Heisenberg's boss. Earlier I kept thinking Urias was Heisenberg transformed into a werewolf, but apparently not. The cutscenes and trailers for this game are a bit confusing regarding character and boss identity. Any who, I have a short clip to show you of my last combat encounters in the Factory after getting the Heisenberg key. It involves what was a bit of a revelation for me in how to get by a Soldat Panzer with just a flashbang and a running back approach. :p

Note after the Soldat Elris pokes it's drill through the door, I demonstrate that it cannot
harm you when he's in the door busting animation. These guys are adorably clumsy I think.

Last edited:
Yeah it was inevitable that I needed to backtrack, retrieve and cash in more treasures, and upgrade. I've beaten only two of the 5 optional bosses, the one that appears in front of you as soon as you go through the gate that requires the unborn 4 winged key, and the big axe wielding giant at the mill.

To be honest, I only paid attention to the guy at the mill because that was the last thing I hadn't done before the Heis-a-watzit guy. The others didn't make any difference to me because of where they were in the game flow. But I wanted to 100 percent it on the first playthrough, so I fought him.

I don't really know if I did 100 percent, but I think I did. I had the max health and max speed upgrades. Got all the treasures. Fought all the things. But I spent a hell of a long time in my first playthrough, and it didn't really pay off for me at the end, and I died a few times to the final boss because my health was low and I tried to get off too many shots before dodging. If I had only known The Duke was there...

By the way, my son showed up at the final boss low on good ammo and beat her with his pistol, so it's not all doom and gloom if you don't have tons of the best stuff left over. Course, he's better than I am, but you probably are too :)

Reactions: Brian Boru
To be honest, I only paid attention to the guy at the mill because that was the last thing I hadn't done before the Heis-a-watzit guy. The others didn't make any difference to me because of where they were in the game flow. But I wanted to 100 percent it on the first playthrough, so I fought him.

I don't really know if I did 100 percent, but I think I did. I had the max health and max speed upgrades. Got all the treasures. Fought all the things. But I spent a hell of a long time in my first playthrough, and it didn't really pay off for me at the end, and I died a few times to the final boss because my health was low and I tried to get off too many shots before dodging. If I had only known The Duke was there...

By the way, my son showed up at the final boss low on good ammo and beat her with his pistol, so it's not all doom and gloom if you don't have tons of the best stuff left over. Course, he's better than I am, but you probably are too :)
When one says "just a pistol", in this game, it matters a lot what pistol. Technically even the Magnum is a pistol, yet one of the most powerful weapons. Then you have the non upgradeable silenced Samurai, which I got sucked into, then the Lemi, fully upgradeable, and the Machine Pistol that I've read is in the game somewhere, though not entirely sure it's in the campaign.

At any rate, he must indeed be good to beat the final boss with just a pistol. What difficulty was your son playing on btw?

When one says "just a pistol", in this game, it matters a lot what pistol. Technically even the Magnum is a pistol, yet one of the most powerful weapons. Then you have the non upgradeable silenced Samurai, which I got sucked into, then the Lemi, fully upgradeable, and the Machine Pistol that I've read is in the game somewhere, though not entirely sure it's in the campaign.

At any rate, he must indeed be good to beat the final boss with just a pistol. What difficulty was your son playing on btw?

Lol I don't need an explanation of what pistol means. I've probably been shooting them irl for longer than you've been alive. And, no, technically the Magnum is a revolver, which is not a pistol.

His difficulty was normal, standard, whatever. I just asked him which pistol, and he said it was the lemi, fully upgraded, which is what I thought. By the way, you buy the machine pistol from Duke. Should be available to you now, but it wouldn't be good for your final boss fights. You need precision shooting for those.

Last edited:
Lol I don't need an explanation of what pistol means. I've probably been shooting them irl for longer than you've been alive. And, no, technically the Magnum is a revolver, which is not a pistol.

His difficulty was normal, standard, whatever. I just asked him which pistol, and he said it was the lemi, fully upgraded, which is what I thought. By the way, you buy the machine pistol from Duke. Should be available to you now, but it wouldn't be good for your final boss fights. You need precision shooting for those.
No, I wasn't implying you did, which is why I clarified, "in this game". I was just saying that there is quite a range of power within the pistols in this game.

BTW, after your just a pistol comment, I decided to try beating the Sturm with just my M1911 pistol. It took quite a few rounds, and I had to use 3 health vials, 2 of them due to not seeing him in time as I rushed around the structure in the corner when he was in his rage running mode post flame throw, but I did it.

Now I guess I can finally fight Heisenberg.

No, I wasn't implying you did, which is why I clarified, "in this game". I was just saying that there is quite a range of power within the pistols in this game.

BTW, after your just a pistol comment, I decided to try beating the Sturm with just my M1911 pistol. It took quite a few rounds, and I had to use 3 health vials, 2 of them due to not seeing him in time as I rushed around the structure in the corner when he was in his rage running mode post flame throw, but I did it.

Now I guess I can finally fight Heisenberg.

The final boss is easier than he is. She may be the easiest boss in the game. I just went there unprepared.

The final boss is easier than he is. She may be the easiest boss in the game. I just went there unprepared.
Just beat the game last night. I would say Heisenberg for me was easier than Miranda. However that could have a lot to do with my age, eyesight, reflexes, and the fact that I've never been good at situations that are dark, with low contrast. I beat her first try like I did Heisenberg, but I was caught off guard a lot by her fire attacks. Really though, if I'd just noticed the signs earlier of when she's about to go into that attack, and realized to begin with the easy way to deal with it is rush behind the tree trunks, I'd have gotten through it a lot easier. I have to say though as well, part of what was bothersome in that fight is the lack of smoothness with panning and turning, and I feel it may very well be due to poor mouse control optimization. It was evident in the Sturm fight as well, especially when he's in his rage running mode and you have to turn and look quickly a lot to see where he is. I know the game has a quick 180 turn option, but I don't like using that because it doesn't account for 3/4 angles, and therefore can actually be disorienting. About all it's good for is the few times you're running straight down a hallway toward a door, and a tough enemy like the Sturm comes busting through. I don't even use it in those situations though, as it feels like one of those times in a game where the camera forces you to look a certain direction. I like to have hands on control of my look and aim at all times. It also seems common that games with such a feature don't have great optimization for mouse look/aim. I spent mostly W870 TAC rounds on her, and 10 magnum rounds. I used 4 health vials, and crafted and used two more, and I was still near death when I landed the final shot.

The Chris Redfield segment went pretty well for me, and I'd have easily done it with no deaths had it not been for my stupidly hanging back where you start the laser targeting segment when the armored Lycans came. Once I saw the two other paths and the ammo caches at the end of them, it was a breeze. Urias Strajer went pretty quick with no deaths though. I really liked the Chris Redfield stuff, as well as the vehicle you get to use against Heisenberg. Both were totally unexpected, and really helped give the game more dimension and depth.

Right now I'm on my 2nd playthrough on New Game + with all my gear carried over, but I decided to set it to Hardcore this time. I like that you still get to use as many saves as you want, which was unexpected, but things are VERY expensive to buy. 10,000 just for one health vial. I've also still yet to figure out the best way to play the part at the village early on where lots of Lycans attack, then Urias comes in to end it. I'm not sure if his arrival is based on time, number of Lycans killed, or what, but I wasted a ton of explosive rounds there.

What difficulty mode did you play your 2nd run on? I ask because it sounded like you did a New Game + run when you were talking about all the gear carrying over. I won't really feel like I've beaten it on Hardcore unless I can do it with a fresh start though, and at this point, it seems like I have a TON more to learn if I have any hope of managing that.

BTW, I captured not just the Sturm fight, but also the Heisenberg, Redfield, and Miranda stuff. It could take some time to upload them though, and I may have to cut out the lengthy cutscenes to help speed things up.

Last edited:
What difficulty mode did you play your 2nd run on? I ask because it sounded like you did a New Game + run when you were talking about all the gear carrying over. I won't really feel like I've beaten it on Hardcore unless I can do it with a fresh start though, and at this point, it seems like I have a TON more to learn if I have any hope of managing that.

Yeah, did New Game + on hardcore, and then a third playthrough the same. Wasn't really worried about an honest hardcore win. I just wanted to unlock unlimited ammo on the Magnum and a couple other guns and become over-powered. That's the fun thing about replaying the RE games to me. In 7 I did my second playthrough on easy because I was doing the time challenge for an unlock and then never got around to playing it on hardcore.

I just realized after looking at my Miranda Fight capture clip that I had 6 health vials in my inventory that I used, plus the 2 I crafted. A rather embarrassing result, and I would have likely been better off retrying it a few times like you did until I got it down to just 3 used or so. That would have made this Hardcore run a lot easier, but I wasn't thinking ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS