Question Virtual Calamity [a hardware repair question]

So, I've had my HP WMR headset for over two years now, and I've finally gotten my video card's hardware to a point where there's no nausea-inducing lag in 1440p, and I have accumulate a nice and varied library of VR titles, and I've cleared out sufficient room in my living room to play any and all games, not just sitting-down ones, and...

The headband broke.

Or rather, the tiny hinge connecting the headband to the goggle portion broke. I don't know how I managed it, but the plastic shattered and the little knobs that slip into the plastic don't stay in. It will stay on my face if I gently place it back together and never look down or move my head rapidly to either side, but this is not a tenable playstyle.

I've done a search for replacement headbands/hinges, looked for HP VR headset repair, but no such luck.

So my question is, has anyone else run into something similar to this? And if so, how did you resolve it? I am not interested in forking over $300 or more to replace it, as everything from the motion controllers to the head tracking and screens work just fine. I've considered super-gluing the headband into the hinge, which would probably mean the goggles could no longer "flip up", requiring that I remove the entire thing any time I need to see the monitor, which I suppose is a small price to pay.

Anyway, I'm open to both suggestions as well as recommendations for sites, or perhaps search keywords that I didn't think to try yet. Thanks in advance.

MaddMann

A nerd that found his place
Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Which Windows Mixed Reality headset is this (exact model)? There are a few models. I have a vast library of 3d printable items, or if I knew the exact one I could try and help. Any chance you can post an image of where it is broken?

I find that if it moves when it shouldn't use duct tape, if it doesn't move and it should use WD-40

Reactions: Krud
Which Windows Mixed Reality headset is this (exact model)? There are a few models.

That's a good question! I just know it's an HP Mixed Reality headset. It was also refurbished, and I don't recall whether it came with all the original packaging. The website says Model Number "4348331098" but that looks like gibberish to me.

I tried to link to a picture, but for some reason the link didn't work. Here's a picture of it on Amazon:

MaddMann

Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
I tried to link to a picture, but for some reason the link didn't work. Here's a picture of it on Amazon
Your best bet is to take some detailed pictures if you can and post them on imgur.com (public or private doesn't matter) then post the link to the pictures here. Here is an example using my cat

Looking through, it looks like you have the VR1000-??? the last 3 digits likely won't matter in this case because it looks like the version changes were minor hardware differences on the headset, but no change to the headband. I can see on their site they do offer repairs, so it may be worth it to speak with one of their representatives to see how much it would cost to repair it (seeing as the major components are intact, I would guess between $60-$100 when everything is said and done)

The headset itself isn't hugely popular (not an insult, just looking at units sold) so finding used parts will likely not be a very good option. So if you can post up detailed shots of how it is broken, I can really see if I or somebody in this community, can help you fix it.

Your best bet is to take some detailed pictures if you can and post them on imgur.com (public or private doesn't matter) then post the link to the pictures here. Here is an example using my cat

Looking through, it looks like you have the VR1000-??? the last 3 digits likely won't matter in this case because it looks like the version changes were minor hardware differences on the headset, but no change to the headband. I can see on their site they do offer repairs, so it may be worth it to speak with one of their representatives to see how much it would cost to repair it (seeing as the major components are intact, I would guess between $60-$100 when everything is said and done)

The headset itself isn't hugely popular (not an insult, just looking at units sold) so finding used parts will likely not be a very good option. So if you can post up detailed shots of how it is broken, I can really see if I or somebody in this community, can help you fix it.

Thanks for the info! I don't know why I didn't think to look up HP's site. And no offense taken on the not-popular front, I knew when I bought it there was likely a reason WMR was half the price of Oculus and Vive. (My biggest issue with WMR is the hand controls get wonky outside your visual range, which of course changes depending on which way you're looking.)

As for repair cost, I think for less than $60 I could probably come up with an at-home DIY jerry-rigged solution to fixing the headband, even if it ends up being an ugly duct-tape-and-coat-hanger monstrosity. I only paid $120 up front (after sales, gift card, and discount for getting an Amazon card account), so I don't want to put too much into it. I just want to get as much out of the unit as I can, as I'm hoping my next VR purchase will be one that has garnered wider acceptance by the time I have to buy it. (Right now it still seems like everything's mostly divvied up between Oculus, HTC and now Valve Index.)

Reactions: MaddMann

MaddMann

Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Agreed, I did like the new headset that HP is offering, the resolution is the only thing I don't really like about my Occulus rift (that and you need like 50 square feet for it to feel you have enough space). It might be worth checking ebay on a regular basis, I end up buying a lot of parts there, no doubts at least the headband will end up on there eventually.

I am currently just holding off on VR until next gen for the most part, but I still get some beat saber in and I really need to finish Half Life Alyx.

Reactions: Krud

TRENDING THREADS