Upgrading my PC

Sep 22, 2024
Visit site
Hello all,

I'd like to upgrade my pc to smoothly run pretty much any game at a good 120 fps in ultra 1440p (don't care for RTX though). I thought I had a pretty solid build but I've been playing the last Star Wars game and I won't go above 50 fps in crowded areas such as towns and all.

Here are my specs :

CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU : Nvidia Geforce RTX3070Ti Gamerock
Motherboard : Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B450 AORUS ELITE
RAM 32,0 Go 3600MHz
SSD : Crucial BX500 SATA SSD 1To - CT1000BX500SSD101
HDD : Seagate BarraCuda 1 To - ST1000DM010

I run my PC with a slight undervolting as I've heard it might help it run smoother and cooler, without it my GPU fans are going full speed all the time and I reach temperatures above 80°C (176°F) and don't get any performance loss with the undervolting. With the undervolting my fans are running less fast and the temperature barely ever goes above 70°C (156°F). I'll join a screenshot so that you can see my settings.

Would upgrading my motherboard and CPU make a big difference ? Have I f*cked up my settings ? Should I get an NVME SSD ?

Thank you very much for you time and answers, sorry if I've made any spelling mistakes I am but a simple french man.

Cordially,
Samwise the brave.
2gHyf1726997047.png

May 13, 2024
Visit site
I think you can get away with a couple of drop-in upgrades if you don't want to spend the coin on a full upgrade. Perhaps a newer Ryzen AM4 (aka the sockket that won't die lol) chip as a drop-in and at least an RTX 4070 S. But of course, check what CPUs are supported by your MB with latest BiOS.

Case in point, I'm running an RTX 4070 Super that I recently upgraded to, and still running an aging Socket AM4 MSI B450 Bazooka board and AMD Ryzen 5 5600x, 32 GB RAM (old DDR4 RAM, PC3200 I think lol). Games are on a Samsung 970 Evo+ 2 TB NVMe, and OS (WIN 11) on a Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB SSD.

This was the result of incremental upgrades and not a straight-up build. As you can see, nothing special. I have RT at the lowest settings (can't disable) and graphics on High, and I'm easily getting 120 fps/Hz locked + GSync in SW Outlaws at 1440 res. I haven't tried it on Ultra, but all my other games run 120 on Ultra with RT off.

The 4070S replaced an RTX 3070, which was starting to struggle staying above 100 fps at 1440 with newer games (Starfield for one).

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Sep 22, 2024
Visit site
I think you can get away with a couple of drop-in upgrades if you don't want to spend the coin on a full upgrade. Perhaps a newer Ryzen AM4 (aka the sockket that won't die lol) chip as a drop-in and at least an RTX 4070 S. But of course, check what CPUs are supported by your MB with latest BiOS.

Case in point, I'm running an RTX 4070 Super that I recently upgraded to, and still running an aging Socket AM4 MSI B450 Bazooka board and AMD Ryzen 5 5600x, 32 GB RAM (old DDR4 RAM, PC3200 I think lol). Games are on a Samsung 970 Evo+ 2 TB NVMe, and OS (WIN 11) on a Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB SSD.

This was the result of incremental upgrades and not a straight-up build. As you can see, nothing special. I have RT at the lowest settings (can't disable) and graphics on High, and I'm easily getting 120 fps/Hz locked + GSync in SW Outlaws at 1440 res. I haven't tried it on Ultra, but all my other games run 120 on Ultra with RT off.

The 4070S replaced an RTX 3070, which was starting to struggle staying above 100 fps at 1440 with newer games (Starfield for one).
Ok thanks for the answer! Also I realised that my SSD has got the OS (Win10 for me didn't do the upgrade, maybe that would help?) and my games in it. It's almost full too could that influence my performances?

Welcome to the forum :)

SSD has got the OS (Win10 for me didn't do the upgrade, maybe that would help?) and my games in it. It's almost full too could that influence my performances?

Definitely, Windows needs some spare room to breathe while doing background updates and maintenance. I assume that's a 1TB SSD, how much is free?

Win10 v 11 should make little or no difference—keep whichever you have, Win10 doesn't lose full support for another year and might get an extension then due to large install base being unable to move to Win11.

Reactions: red_5ive and Why_Me
Sep 22, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

Definitely, Windows needs some spare room to breathe while doing background updates and maintenance. I assume that's a 1TB SSD, how much is free?

Win10 v 11 should make little or no difference—keep whichever you have, Win10 doesn't lost full support for another year and might get an extension then due to large install base being unable to move to Win11.
Hello and thank you!

I have a little less than a 100gb of free storage. Should I start with getting an NVME SSD transfer my games there and keep my Sata one almost entirely empty just for the OS?

Thanks again!

Reactions: Brian Boru
a little less than a 100gb of free storage

I'm not a hardware guy, so wait for someone more knowledgeable. But I'm fairly sure ~90GB free should be fine. 1TB for OS alone would be a waste of a lot of good space.

I have 256GB for OS and all software—and I have a lot of software—and still have 85GB free, ie only using 170GB. I have a separate internal 1TB SSD for my games. See what the experts say, but a small NVME for OS and software should work.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts