upgrade to 1660 super (or ti)

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
Morning,
This week I'd like to upgrade my old but full of great gpu with at least a 1660 super or ti.

Motherboard: MSIZ87 Gaming (MS-7866)
GPU: EVGA Gefroce gtx970 acx 2.0 4096mb GDDR5
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k 3,5Ghz Soket 1150
2x8 gb 1600
Power Supply: Corsair RM Series 650 Full Modular - 650watt (orange)

monitor MSI Optix MAG241C 144HZ
Well I know that is not the newest and best gaming rig on the world, but i need to upgrade it without spending too much.

(i'd appriciate the gpu direct link to buy it)
(ps: does my motherboard can use gddr6?)

Last edited:
You literally posted a few hours ago. Patience :)

(ps: does my motherboard can use gddr6?)
Your motherboard doesn't care what memory is on the GPU. Obviously it can't use GDDR6 itself, but it can use a GPU that has it no problem.

(i'd appriciate the gpu direct link to buy it)
What country and currency are you shopping in?

Any specific criteria for the card?

Reactions: Frindis
Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
You literally posted a few hours ago. Patience

Your motherboard doesn't care what memory is on the GPU. Obviously it can't use GDDR6 itself, but it can use a GPU that has it no problem.

What country and currency are you shopping in?

Any specific criteria for the card?

Thanks and sorry.

Italy - Shipping

Well i'd like to buy a 1660 super, but the problem is my Intel i5 3.5 Devil's canyon.
Do u think it could works?

Reactions: Frindis
It will work fine.

Some games may be CPU-limited some of the time. i.e.in some areas of the game the CPU might limit performance, but not in others. e.g. Assassin's Creed Odyssey perhaps.

But even in those titles, most of the time you would get a huge improvement in performance from the new GPU.

Any particular games you really want to boost performance on?

As for where and what to buy, check out:

Note that the site is only showing a small number of online retailers (Amazon italy, Alternate Italy) but there may be stores in other countries like Germany and France that ship to Italy. So you can always check other EU retailers.

But to be honest, any 1660 Super will perform much like any other 1660 Super. So you can probably just buy the cheapest one you like the look of.

The 1660 Super is almost identical in performance to the 1660 ti, but is usually much cheaper.

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
It will work fine.

Some games may be CPU-limited some of the time. i.e.in some areas of the game the CPU might limit performance, but not in others. e.g. Assassin's Creed Odyssey perhaps.

But even in those titles, most of the time you would get a huge improvement in performance from the new GPU.

Any particular games you really want to boost performance on?

As for where and what to buy, check out:

Note that the site is only showing a small number of online retailers (Amazon italy, Alternate Italy) but there may be stores in other countries like Germany and France that ship to Italy. So you can always check other EU retailers.

But to be honest, any 1660 Super will perform much like any other 1660 Super. So you can probably just buy the cheapest one you like the look of.

The 1660 Super is almost identical in performance to the 1660 ti, but is usually much cheaper.

Actually i'm not playin heavy games now (i.e valorant) but i'd like to turn on some high setting on world of warcraft / cod etc.
I'm scare about the cpu bottleneck effect.

I don't know what WoW is like for CPU performance these days as there have been a lot of changes since I played. Presumably it's better with DX12? Also quite a lot of WoW's effects are GPU heavy - WoD could max out my 970 back in the day.

As for COD Warzone you should see better settings and framerates (you can check the GPU and CPU performance pages on this article)
A CPU like yours seems basically fine, maybe not ideal, but fine, and a 1660 Super does give an improvement even over a 1060 which is better than your 970. If you upgrade you should see benefits, is my assessment.

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
I don't know what WoW is like for CPU performance these days as there have been a lot of changes since I played. Presumably it's better with DX12? Also quite a lot of WoW's effects are GPU heavy - WoD could max out my 970 back in the day.

As for COD Warzone you should see better settings and framerates (you can check the GPU and CPU performance pages on this article)
A CPU like yours seems basically fine, maybe not ideal, but fine, and a 1660 Super does give an improvement even over a 1060 which is better than your 970. If you upgrade you should see benefits, is my assessment.

Perfect, i'll order it.
Another problem that i got those days is that the cpu usage is pretty high (90% and more) on games like valorant with all graph max out to keep 144 fps, and cannot figure what cause it. (Not thermal problem)

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
So if the CPU is at ~90% usage and Valorant is using 70%, what is using the other 20%? If it's stuff you can reasonably turn off, then turn it off I guess
Those are like little process: i.e chrome, discord and other things that use less then 0.7%.
But the % do not match the total usage read by task manager

TRENDING THREADS