Upgrade thread. (RTX 3080 hopefully? And power supply) budget is 1500.

Sep 10, 2020
Visit site
Hello all!

I am completely new to this. I bought a lower tier pre-built impulsively, and quickly realized I am a much better player on PC. I am now addicted. I’m trying to get great frame rates on games like fortnight, ark, And over watch. I bought this pre built, but added an additional 8g RAM and a 8TB SDD. I am willing to throw money at whatever, and learn whatever I need to learn to be properly equipped to have a base knowledge of PC

Product dimensions are 6.12 x 12.09 x 13.28 inches

Memory and Internal Storage: 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM memory; 256 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive *(I have added an additional 8gb of RAM on this)

I believe the power supply is low, probably 310 or 400 watts.

HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i5-10400F, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Windows 10 Home (TG01-1020, Shadow Black)

Monitor is a 144Hz HP 25 inch gamin monitor. 1080p freesync Nvidia G sync.

if I need to temper expectations of move towards buying a new PC in order to upgrade properly, that’s fine as well. Any help would be great. I have no one to ask, so brutal honest

thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
You are gaming at 1080p so an RTX 3080 is really a bit pointless and a waste of cash tbh.

Moreover, your PSU wouldn't support it anyway.

Did you really add an 8TB SSD already? Very few exist and some of the ones that do cost 2-3 times what your PC does.

To upgrade a GPU you need:
- space in the case
- a PSU with enough power and the right connectors (i.e. sufficient 8 pin / 6+2 pin connectors)
- enough airflow in the case that your new GPU doesn't roast
- ideally no other bottlenecks (e.g. CPU, monitor)

In your situation I'd measure the clearance inside your case i.e.
How long is your current GPU from the PCIe bracket at the rear of the case to the far end of the card?
How much more space to the front of the case is there?
How wide is the card (from the motherboard to the edge closest to you with the case open)?
Make sure the drive cage wouldn't interfere with PCIe connectors that need to be plugged into the side of the GPU to power it.

I'd also check the PSU to see how many 8 pin / 6 +2 pin/ 6 pin PCIe connectors it has.
PSUConnectorsBig.jpg

Could you also post a photo of the PSU's label? (it probably has one visible when you take the side panel off) Might help look it up and see what it is.

The major limitation to upgrading systems like these is proprietary connections or form factors used on any/all of the PSU, motherboard, and case. For instance if you want a GPU that doesn't fit in your case, you might decide to move the system to a new case. But the motherboard might not be regular ATX / mATX / ITX and so not fit the mounting holes in other cases. Or you might need a bigger PSU, but find that the PSU has a proprietary connection for the motherboard that a normal PSU doesn't have.

So sometimes you are limited to working within the confines of what you already have and it can make sense to do so for as long as reasonably possible to avoid replacing a recently bought computer.

If you bought it within the last 4 weeks or so you might be able to return it for a refund, if that's an option...

Reactions: Mazer and Zoid

TRENDING THREADS