upgrade gpu or make a new build

Apr 7, 2021
hello guys , like the title said , i dont know if i should swap the gpu only , do a SLI , or make a new rig?

My current rig :
MB: Asus V Formula LGA 1155
CPU : Intel i7 3770k (overclocked to 4.1ghz)
CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Seidon 120M & Corsair h100i rgb platinum
GPU : Asus strix gt970 4gb GDDR5
PSU : Rosewill 80+ bronze 1000watts
Storage : Samsung 250gb / kingston 1tb x2.
Case : thermaltake phanteks & Rosewill Riseglow (both compatible with e-atx).
Fans : alot.

before you ask , the corsair h100i was a gift for my bday and the riseglow from my wife.
why im asking in this topic , since i got those new items , and the riseglow support a vertical gpu (which is new for me and looks dope) , what you guys recommend me to do .
first option is buying a gtx 1080ti 11gb gddr5
second option just do a SLI, but is worth it?
the third option is giving this rig to my wife and buy a new rig.
the normal use i do to this rig is gaming mmorpg/games in high quality /graphic design , the only time i turn off the pc is when im out city more than 1 week or when i clean it every 4 or 5 months , the rest of the time is always on.

thanks alot for taking you time reading this ****. for help me out :)
and yes , the rig is kinda ooooooooold :)
have a nice day.

Reactions: JCgames
Sep 21, 2020
I have a very similar system, the main CPU is just not going to push a new vid card with out massive loss in performance. Sure it would work, and improve your over all playing but it would only be a Band-Aid till you can upgrade the rest. Sure popping in a 3060 would improve things, but it needs the rest to really work.

I'm doing the exact same thing now, Need cpu/ram/GPU i was waiting on the GPU anyway, but blasted ram shortage is pissing me off but i digress.

Give your comp to your wife and get a new system. Right now it seams like buying a prebuilt is the better way to go and i've seen some really solid ones even with good motherboards and PS's for very reasonable deals. Just do a little shopping and you might wanna do a bit of waiting for things to stabilize so you don't break the bank.

Reactions: Brian Boru

Kaamos_Llama

Jan 31, 2020
Definitely dont SLI, it doesnt work in games anymore and the GTX970 does not have enough VRAM to make it work well anyway when it did.

I actually think you'd be surprised how decent a 3770K is for its age (there's plenty of Youtube comparisons to choose from). You would certainly see more benefit in most situations from replacing the graphics card with a 1080Ti then you would from keeping the GTX 970 and replacing the CPU and related components. You also didnt mention your RAM, running 16GB of 2133/2400 DDR3 on Ivy Bridge is possible and helps performance too.

The best option is obviously to build a whole new system, but how much do you want to spend, then ?

Sep 21, 2020
The big Q is how much of an upgrade would be boosting the ram, or going to that 1080ti? How much do you have to spend to get to it? Does adding more ram help? If doing so would let you play your favorite game for the next 3+ years and that is all you care about it becomes far more worth doing.

On the flip side if you want to move on to the next gen with ray tracing and that sorta thing my money is on just waiting and going the new system route.

I'm with Kaamos on the idea that your chip is not a horrible option, I'm using a 3350 +1060 GB + 8GB and honestly it works great. I'm also not playing a ton of the latest games on ultra. 6 years this system has rocked and still is going strong. I just think it's time to move on as a few games like Flight sim and Gal Civ III with lots of AI have gotten me to slowly move on. It will also be nice to have a dedicated recording machine, if your wife doesn't need a full on gamer. just grab a cap card and your in business.

Kaamos_Llama

Jan 31, 2020
I had an I5 3570K until a few years ago and going to a 7700K made a difference in some games. If I'd have bought a 3770K back in 2012 I probably would have kept it much longer.

Buying a 1080Ti now, would be a very noticeable upgrade and it could easily be transfered to a new rig later on, is what I'm thinking.

Sep 21, 2020
Well seeing the next gen ray tracing stuff is where everything is going, i don't think it's worth spending the money on that card just to get a few extra frames. a 3060 is going to give you better performance and has the raytracing, those 1080 TI's are expensive too last i saw um was over 500, and the benchmarks on the 3060 were better unless I'm confusing something. They 3060 TI also pulled in nearly 50+ ray tracing at 1080p which for those of us still running 60 hrz monitors that is just about perfect. That is my thinking anyway.

I guess it all comes down to what you wanna spend, and what you wanna play as in specific games would help.

finding the card right now is another task. I just think even though the 1080 is a very good card and an upgrade for him. I don't think it's a big enough upgrade and especially the games coming down the pipe in the next 5 years. It all comes down to money and if he can find one, and what his normal upgrades are. If your the kinda person that just gets a new PC every 5 of so years, might do something different.

I suppose if he could find a 1080 reasonably, and then wait for the 4000 series cards and i12's that could be the way to do if he just needs a bit more umph right now and wait a couple and then build a full on new system. Like you said that chip is reasonable.

So many options, hope something helps. :)

Last edited:

Kaamos_Llama

Jan 31, 2020
@JCgames Fair enough, I'm still not that excited about RT it'll be closer next gen when every game is using it and performance has improved again.

I was assuming OP had a particular 1080Ti in mind like from a friend, that wasn't obscenely priced though.

Reactions: JCgames
Sep 21, 2020
Well if that's the case, then by all means go for it. :)

Basically my info is coming from a friend that has a 980+4000 something or so. He bought a new chip, a AMD which he is super happy with as he works on his comp too with multi-tasking, but he regrets getting the 2080, which ever version he got was a step up from the 1080 ti. He says if he had know he would of waited a tab bit longer.

the other side, when you run userbenchmark, with that chip the GPU will underperform. Those old processors while having decent clock is missing some of the newer architecture which make um run better. Over all clock isn't a direct step these days. Sorta like how the new I'11's despite not really clocking up are running 20% faster. For instance when i run mine, i get my vid card running at 50% performance, I really think the 1080 would need a better chip to really shine. But if it does get him the extra frames he needs to play what he is playing then that is another thing to think about.

I do agree, that another gen is needed as well, BUT.. it could be like 2-3 years for that to happen sorta like when the 10 series hit, then the Bit-coin boom and no cards and yada yada yada.. I'm just sticking with my 1060Gb for now and i will see. I personally don't own a single game that has raytracing, Maybe Mech 5 will add it in the future.

anywho, i think he has more than enough info from me. enjoy!

Kaamos_Llama

Jan 31, 2020
Sure the 3770k will hold back a fast GPU in some situations, but that's why I said 'in most situations' it would be better to get a new GPU.

The 1080TI is over twice as fast as a GTX 970 in an ideal situation.

@JCgames

The 11 series is, In games its still behind Ryzen , and in some cases actually slower sometimes then the previous gen. PCG thought it mediocre and gave it 67%.

IPC (instructions per clock) is the amount of work done per clock(MHZ). It increases in theory every generation. However Intel only managed a small increase in IPC per gen from the 2000 series up until the 7000 series (skipping the 5000 series Broadwell which was kind of a half step with a much improved IGPU and a DRAM cache which did actually improve gaming performance a little)

The same basic Skylake cores on a 14nm production node in the 6000 series have been used in every series up to the 10th without much changing apart from tweaks, improving the IMC (Integrated memory controller) and increasing the clock speeds a little while adding more cores, this is why they run so hot and power hungry.

11th gen actually used a new architecture, so people were hopeful, unfortunately it hasn't really worked out any better for gaming. I believe some games have begun to use AVX instructions which are handled better by newer Core processors, but not many as of yet.

So, from the 2000 series up until the 7000 series an I3 had 2 cores and 4 threads and I5 had four cores and a mainstream I7 (non E series) had 4 cores and 8 threads.

TLDR

I'm tired and this all from memory so sorry if I'm going on, but my point is that between a 3rd gen I7 and a 7th gen I7 there's not a huge difference for games, And I'd happily match a 1080Ti with a 7700K.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020
Heh, if i had a 1080+7700k i would not be upgrading.. but my old 3350 is starting to slack. As for intel verse AMD, i just have always used intel outside of a time when i went from a 700-3600 way back early 2k's. These days i just pick up something i think will be solid and last me 5+ years for a good price. :)

the 11700 is a really sweet spot for price/performance, but my board needs a 10, I'm starting to lean towards one of the 6 cores. It's around 180 or so atm, i think that could be my best bet. 24 AI in Gal civ sounds fun!

That said, i have a bunch of games that just go buy a single core High clock, i think some of the 11's are pretty solid at that. I really don't multitask at all, and will have a second comp incase i need to encode ect.

but after this long talk, i wonder what the OP is thinking :)

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts