upgrade gpu cooling

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
okay i have a visionteck Radeon 7770 2gb gpu
its lasted me 7 yrs and plays everything i want it to, but i do panic when the temp goes up to 99-105C in certain heavey games....

can i replace the ugly cooler with something else ?im not opposed to using zipties either....

1037581189__05154.1521159636.jpg

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
You might want to retire the GPU and pick one up as a replacement. A replacement cooler won't overcome the fact that a card as old as that is being pushed beyond it's useful lifespan with those sort of temps.

with current gpu prices thats simply not an option
why replace something that isnt broken ?

why replace something that isnt broken ?
+
99-105C in certain heavey games....

Part of our task of troubleshooting/problem solving is to understand when something that doesn't look broken is going to croak sooner than later. The card that you've linked in the picture, if it is at all what you're working with, was designed for small form factor builds, akin to Dell OptiPlex uSFF/SFF units meant for day traders or CNC milling machines or CAD environments or in environments where display output is needed with minimal fuss on maintenance(power, cooling and limited chassis space), which explains why the cooler on that card is pretty much non existent, not to mention that the card is a half height design.

A card meant for gaming would have a larger/beefier heatsink and supplemental power delivery. Your card's support also expired on the drivers front in spite of tech moving forward and pretty much all apps/games demanding more resources. With that, your GPU hasn't seen any change in the last 7 years.

If anything, place a band aid on the GPU, coax it home until you can save up the funds and then invest in a GPU as opposed to strapping a bigger heatsink and offsetting the fact that the GPU chip is being stressed beyond its intended usage scenario. Speaking of, GPU prices on AMD's camp are pretty much (very close to)MSRP now.

Final thoughts?
You forgot to mention the specs to your build + it's very likely that your case is devoid of optimal airflow or the innards need a deep cleaning session + a reapplication of thermal paste.

If you wish to add specs to your build, please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

FYI, back in the day, you would know a GPU is geared towards a workstation only environment when you noticed DP (or miniDP)connectors on the rear I/O as the only source of display output. That was a time when DP was available on premium pedigree monitors and/or GPU's.

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site

im looking for this

my cpu is this
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz 29 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
14.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0D28YY (CPU 1)
Graphics
DELL P1913 (1440x900@60Hz)
DELL P1913 (1440x900@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (VISIONTEK) 43 °C
Storage
238GB OSSD256GBTSS2 (SATA (SSD)) 44 °C
232GB Western Digital WDC WDS250G2B0A-00SM50 (SATA (SSD)) 29 °C
232GB Western Digital WDC WDS250G2B0A-00SM50 (SATA (SSD)) 28 °C
Optical Drives
WinCDEmu drive
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
What's the general room temp where the PC is?

Until you can get a new system—that one's too old to invest anything in, waste of money—avoid playing the heavy games that stress the GPU. That way it'll last longer than it otherwise would.
well this is Canada so... 15-20C

ps: i was looking for a ghetto fix.. like a cpu cooler that can cover the gpu dye and the vram chips something like that

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
Are you working with a Dell OptiPlex 790 SFF? If so, any money you're going to drop into that prebuilt is going to run your return on investments towards negative. Save the money, build a system the right way.

yes 790... it runs fine... i just want thee gpu to run cooler
a new prebuilt isnt in my budget for at least another 2 yrs

No, I didn't miss it.

You might want to do the calculations of the cooler you've linked and see if that (Accelero Mono Plus)cooler will fit in your case. If you're indeed on the SSF, my calc's say you can't wedge that cooler in your case for the GPU. If your case is operating with a side panel off and yet see those temps, the issue is your platform, not the cooler.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
No, I didn't miss it.

You might want to do the calculations of the cooler you've linked and see if that (Accelero Mono Plus)cooler will fit in your case. If you're indeed on the SSF, my calc's say you can't wedge that cooler in your case for the GPU. If your case is operating with a side panel off and yet see those temps, the issue is your platform, not the cooler.
thx, although it looks perfect... its no longer available...
would it cover the vram ?

TRENDING THREADS