Upgrade CPU or nah?

Oct 2, 2023
Visit site
Hi, so I have a 5600x with a 3060 ti, I want to change the gpu to a 7800xt or 6950xt, but should I change the 5600x to a 5800x3d? Playing warzone and other games.

Also I do this upgrade for 1440p, currently playing on 1080p.

And should I change the psu? I have a 750w gigabyte pgm psu, I heard that had some problems.

Thanks!

Unless you know for sure that your PSU was made after around November 2021 then you should replace it, there was a recall on those. If its made after that, eh its not great still but its much less likely to catch fire.

Based on this testing, a 5800X3d will get you about 30% higher minimum frame rates in Warzone. Thats the best case scenario, because some of that will depend on your graphics card and the cards youre looking at wont quite be as fast as the 3090TI used in the review I linked. If getting 100 FPS minimums isnt enough for you then it might be worth it.

I'd be very nervous about putting an RX6950XT on that PSU in particular. They do suck down a lot of power although you should be OK technically if you just add up the power numbers.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Oct 2, 2023
Visit site
Unless you know for sure that your PSU was made after around November 2021 then you should replace it, there was a recall on those. If its made after that, eh its not great still but its much less likely to catch fire.

Based on this testing, a 5800X3d will get you about 30% higher minimum frame rates in Warzone. Thats the best case scenario, because some of that will depend on your graphics card and the cards youre looking at wont quite be as fast as the 3090TI used in the review I linked. If getting 100 FPS minimums isnt enough for you then it might be worth it.

I'd be very nervous about putting an RX6950XT on that PSU in particular. They do suck down a lot of power although you should be OK technically if you just add up the power numbers.
I was thinking to buy a 850w, but what model?

Tough one, from what I can find on average the 6950 is around 10-15% faster in normal raster but about equal in Ray Tracing. The thing is the 6950 uses a lot more power to do that, and that means more heat in the room and potentially a louder card depending on the quality of the heatsinks and coolers involved.

If you must have that 10% average extra performance then the 6950XT. If you value your power bills, heat in the room in the summer, possibly noise levels, and keeping an extra $80 in your pocket the 7800XT.

• Love
i have looked at 4070 in the first place but then for the almost same price is the 7800xt sooo idk
You get a bit more VRAM with the 7800XT, but they perform around the same with the 4070. I've just had AMD for the last 3 years so thinking about switching for a change. I'd love it if the 4070Ti came down to a level I was happy to pay, I can't see it but I'll be watching around black Friday if I dont cave in before and order something :)

Also for the psu, is this one ok?

It’s 130$ here in my country

Its a pretty good one, I'd be happy using it based on reviews.

Oct 2, 2023
Visit site
You get a bit more VRAM with the 7800XT, but they perform around the same with the 4070. I've just had AMD for the last 3 years so thinking about switching for a change. I'd love it if the 4070Ti came down to a level I was happy to pay, I can't see it but I'll be watching around black Friday if I dont cave in before and order something :)

Its a pretty good one, I'd be happy using it based on reviews.
That’s what I was thinking rn, just upgrade the cpu and psu, and then wait for 4070 ti to drop in price

That’s what I was thinking rn, just upgrade the cpu and psu, and then wait for 4070 ti to drop in price
Its not like the GPU you have is really weak so not much harm in waiting. I'm not too hopeful for big price drops on the 4070Ti soon though. They may have changed the name from the 4080 12GB because of the backlash, but Nvidia still wants it to be an upper tier product price wise. Have to wait and see.

TRENDING THREADS