Question Underrated Divinity game(RPG)?

Hi dear gamers and RPG players. I have question. Have you played ever Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga(Developer's Cut)? If you played what do you think about this game? I want to write my thoughts about game. This game one and only Divinity game by Larian Studios which is not isometric. I think this game is best Dragon Themed RPG ever for me and my favourite #1 game. This game have good gameplay,combat system and story. But..... D2: DKS have one uniqual thing;become the dragon,battle with dragons..
When I ask about this game in RPG groups or to any RPG fans they don't know about this game and one thing which always make me sad, whenever I talk about "Divinity" even about Divinity 2: Developer's Cut, most rpg players thinks of "Original Sin".it is strange.. I think this game don' deserve treatment like this.What do you think about that why this game such underrated?
And one recommandation.. if you have not played this game ever I recommend to play now.. trust me you will not regret..

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I played and finished the game, but I don't think it's one of the best in the genre. A quite solid TPP RPG with a quite unique dragon shapeshifting ability. Nothing exceptional though. Larian is best in the isometric RPGs and it should stick to them. I enjoyed Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga and Divinity: Dragon Commander, but these aren't the games that made the studio great. Everyone has his favorites though. :)

I played up until the dragon transformation part, but those platforming-style dragon battles just completely turned me off to the game. I'm not saying they were bad, just that I didn't enjoy them. My favorite Divinity game to this day (I never played Divinity: Dragon Commander), is still the 1st game, Divine Divinity. Absolutely massive in scope & gameplay, buggy as hell on release, but still my favorite, even more than the Divinity Original Sin games.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Damn game. I blush every time I see a treasure chest in an RPG now because of THIS:
View: https://youtu.be/fFDxRada0FI

No, I'm not putting the magic key in your keyhole! For pity's sake, chest, I only just met you! Have you no shame!?

I liked Divinity 2 a lot. I wouldn't call it a favorite, but it was definitely fun. There were a lot of platforming things in the game, but I had fun with them. Belegar really came into his own. (Everything he says rhymes. How did they even do that character in languages other than English!?)

I played it a few years ago. I found it was ok but it was a big mechanically basic or a bit wishy washy/half baked in areas. Such as the combat. When you turned into the dragon only dragon based enemies appeared so you couldn't torch the infantry as they would vanish. Additionally combat was half house action/MMo style . I did discover that the game did have bugs as well. namely after a couple of quick saves or moving back and forth certain areas repeatedly enemies get amplified damage. For example when they fired explosive arrows they suddenly become instakill shots (especially annoying as magic/special abilities aren't avoidable and projectiles have a way of going around corners).

The story and scripting weren't bad and its kinda a shame we never saw a conclusion for the story.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Damn game. I blush every time I see a treasure chest in an RPG now because of THIS:

No, I'm not putting the magic key in your keyhole! For pity's sake, chest, I only just met you! Have you no shame!?

I liked Divinity 2 a lot. I wouldn't call it a favorite, but it was definitely fun. There were a lot of platforming things in the game, but I had fun with them. Belegar really came into his own. (Everything he says rhymes. How did they even do that character in languages other than English!?)

Imagine someone walking in on you just as you're going through this part of the game...

😀😀 Although I have been playing this game for many years, it is still one of the most difficult parts of the game for me.

Reactions: Zloth
I played it a few years ago. I found it was ok but it was a big mechanically basic or a bit wishy washy/half baked in areas. Such as the combat. When you turned into the dragon only dragon based enemies appeared so you couldn't torch the infantry as they would vanish. Additionally combat was half house action/MMo style . I did discover that the game did have bugs as well. namely after a couple of quick saves or moving back and forth certain areas repeatedly enemies get amplified damage. For example when they fired explosive arrows they suddenly become instakill shots (especially annoying as magic/special abilities aren't avoidable and projectiles have a way of going around corners).

The story and scripting weren't bad and its kinda a shame we never saw a conclusion for the story.
Probably you haven't played Flames of Vengeance(Second part of the game).. because the story concludes and ends well.

I played up until the dragon transformation part, but those platforming-style dragon battles just completely turned me off to the game. I'm not saying they were bad, just that I didn't enjoy them. My favorite Divinity game to this day (I never played Divinity: Dragon Commander), is still the 1st game, Divine Divinity. Absolutely massive in scope & gameplay, buggy as hell on release, but still my favorite, even more than the Divinity Original Sin games.
You didn't play best parts of the game. But if you didn't enjoy, I cannot say anything

yeah i played that as well. i saw the twist ending how the female voice in your head was in cahoots with the damian. But it seemed inconclusive / unresolved as damian was still advancing with his invading armies so there was probably scope for a 3rd.
Yes. Actually I'm waiting for Divinity 3 like this game(I don't want this game as isometric). As far as I can see Larian Studios focused on isometric games but still I hope.

Oct 19, 2022
Visit site
Very good game, and different to the Divine Divinity and DOS games. It was some time ago I played it and didn't finish it because it went off into a flying dragon battle game IIRC which was different gameplay to the main game and I didn't enjoy it.
Keep meaning to replay but I imagine it is looking quite old now.

Very good game, and different to the Divine Divinity and DOS games. It was some time ago I played it and didn't finish it because it went off into a flying dragon battle game IIRC which was different gameplay to the main game and I didn't enjoy it.
Keep meaning to replay but I imagine it is looking quite old now.
So you didn't like dragon transformation but you like human form/combat/story? Right? very interesting.. I wondering why didn't you like dragon parts?

Reactions: Pifanjr
Oct 19, 2022
Visit site
So you didn't like dragon transformation but you like human form/combat/story? Right? very interesting.. I wondering why didn't you like dragon parts?
No, I was referring specifically to the end game (I think) where you ride a dragon and take out some castles or some type of structure? It just didn't seem to fit to me.
It was many years ago that I played to be fair but I certainly enjoyed the in game transformations, I do recall that they added an extra element to the gameplay.

Does that make sense? As I say it was many years ago I played the game and enjoyed the experience overall.

No, I was referring specifically to the end game (I think) where you ride a dragon and take out some castles or some type of structure? It just didn't seem to fit to me.
It was many years ago that I played to be fair but I certainly enjoyed the in game transformations, I do recall that they added an extra element to the gameplay.

Does that make sense? As I say it was many years ago I played the game and enjoyed the experience overall.
Okay I understand.. still I recommend to play again.. of course if you want))

Oct 19, 2022
Visit site
So it's gone past next week and I'm 50 hours into another playthrough :)

Enjoyed the initial Broken Valley section, played like a typical open world RPG and felt very underpowered, graphically poor but it is 14/15 years old.
Story wise it's good and the second part was a cool way to introduce dragons with more quests. The map only has the MQ noted so with another 6 or 7 it was confusing where I should go and ended up with loads of quest items.
The third part solved that by removing all the side quests and quest items! I then proceeded to gather another 12+ side quests as I worked through the city and am getting thoroughly confused.

I am enjoying it, well OP now though so the only challenge is working out how to finish quests.

So it's gone past next week and I'm 50 hours into another playthrough :)

Enjoyed the initial Broken Valley section, played like a typical open world RPG and felt very underpowered, graphically poor but it is 14/15 years old.
Story wise it's good and the second part was a cool way to introduce dragons with more quests. The map only has the MQ noted so with another 6 or 7 it was confusing where I should go and ended up with loads of quest items.
The third part solved that by removing all the side quests and quest items! I then proceeded to gather another 12+ side quests as I worked through the city and am getting thoroughly confused.

I am enjoying it, well OP now though so the only challenge is working out how to finish quests.

Cool👍.. if you have any questions you can ask. I will be glad to help.. by the way which class did you choose? Or you're mixing skills?

TRENDING THREADS