Ultra Wide 1440p Vs 144hz 1080p

Feb 7, 2021
Visit site
So, i got them both, expansive top quality screens, both are fueled by 3070
but i just dont know which one to use (cant use both in the same time).
I play both indie games and old games and new AAA titles
problem is, old games and many indie games dont play well with ultra wide or high rez
while AAA titles look like poop on a 1080p (and overall image quality is really bad, as soon as you tried 1440p you cant really go back)

im torn :p

Feb 7, 2021
Visit site
Cant you just use the ultra wide, and in games that dont support it use 2560x1440 and put up with the black bars?
Its a solid solution but some indie games and old games are designed in their core for 1080p square monitors.
The result is broken UI, some UI info goes off screen, some is just too tiny to read (due to higher resolution), and some just plain blur. That is why i bought the 1080p screen in the first place, but when im playing more modern games, and new AAA titles, the 1080p looks blurry and ugly.

thats why im kinda stuck in between, and the only solution i found for now is to simply switch the monitors when im devoting myself to a specific title

Many people use retro set ups for old games for the same reason!

For old games you're either stuck looking for community mods or I believe sometimes the GOG versions of games have those kinds of QOL improvements. To play them originally as intended though I think you'd need a 16:10 or 4:3 set up for the real oldies.

Feb 7, 2021
Visit site
Many people use retro set ups for old games for the same reason!

For old games you're either stuck looking for community mods or I believe sometimes the GOG versions of games have those kinds of QOL improvements. To play them originally as intended though I think you'd need a 16:10 or 4:3 set up for the real oldies.
yeah, i kinda figured that one out, problem is its not just oldies.
Take Stellaris as example, new modern game, 100% designed for 1080p
now it does support 1440p and ultra wide, but the UI is so tiny your eyes will bleed
and its even got a UI scaling option, but its doesnt scale, it just starches, and you can guess the result

Since I got my 1440p ultrawide there are just some games I don't play anymore, which is a shame. I'm a little surprised how many do support it so well, and the ones that don't kinda surprise me, too (looking at you, Bethesda). Having two monitors though, I would just deal with switching primary monitor depending on the game. Ultrawide is too damn nice for the games it plays well with.

Yea you are going to have to just play some games in windowed mode or whatever works, a lot of games were made before ultrawide was a thing lol. Its not worth not having an ultrawide though since ultrawide is so great with the games that do work both new and old like drunkpunk said. Just a first world problem with that expensive set up not working with older games lol.

TRENDING THREADS