Question Turn based game

Oct 16, 2022
Visit site
So happy holidays!

I very much like turn based rpgs in the style of Tatics ogre reborn,Civilzation,Omerta rise of gangsters, persona seires, marvel midnight sun, smt, jagged aliiance 3 when it released, pokemon scarlet , divinity orginal sin 2 ( didnt like 1 maybe cause its too much of this and that so i prefer 2 just in case if people say oh you just ignored it didn you well i play it i just didnt like it ),roguetech (bascially a mod that changed battle tech into a whole roguelike turn based its incredible), FFT Tatics, 40k space wolf (bascillay marvel midnight sun but youre a space marine),Pathfinder wrath of righteous only the dungeon roguielike dlc cause thats what im playing pathfinder for tbh just like build your character then go mess around in dugneon roguelike,one piece odyssey when it released, disgaea,Inscription, xcom chimera squad, Fire emblem engage when it released i guess, silent storm.

Any ideas for ones that’ll suck me in and not let me go? thanks so much ! also im gonna wait for winter sale to hit but it doesnt have to be strictly steam i am not restricted thanks.

The first XCOM was better than Chimera Squad in my opinion (though it has its own downsides).

A fairly unknown turn-based game I really like is Conquest of Elysium. I've only played 3 and 4, but there is a 5 already. It's quite rough around the edges, but it also has a ton of content and a lot of interesting mechanics.

A smaller turn-based game I really enjoyed is The Guild of Dungeoneering.

There's also For the King, which I bounced off of because of the strict time restraints, though it provides plenty of settings to adjust it to your liking. I just moved on instead of fiddling with them.

Gloomhaven is the digital adaptation of the board game which has been ranked the #1 board game on boardgamegeek.com for years now.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Oh! Likes the BattleTech enough to do RogueTech? If you can get through the first couple of chapters, I expect you'll like Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children a lot. I went on about it at length here:

I just finished a game of Age of Wonders: Planetfall. It's somewhat similar to Endless Legends in the way you colonize sectors instead of specific spots and modify your own armies that fight it out in turn-based combat.

The Valkyria Chronicles games (1 and 4) play like 3D XCOM games. The first game's story was kinda weird (imagine if the old Leave it to Beaver show tried to cover World War 2) but the battles easily make up for it.

Wasteland 3 is good, solid turn-based RPG fun. Surprisingly, so are the old South Park games.

Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock might work for you. I liked it at first but got a bit bored (after 45 hours) with the way Cylons just kinda dropped in. There has been a TON of DLC since then, though. Hopefully, the bundle of the whole thing will be at a good price when the winter sale starts.

If you want to break out of the turn based for a change, you could play Mechwarrior 5. I normally wouldn't recommend a mod like YAML or MercTech for somebody new to the game - but knowing RogueTech will help a lot. Maybe just play for 10-20 hours without mods to get the hang of not-turn-based before turning it all up to 11. (P.S. There's a small DLC scheduled for late January that will likely break lots of mods.)

So happy holidays!

I very much like turn based rpgs in the style of Tatics ogre reborn,Civilzation,Omerta rise of gangsters, persona seires, marvel midnight sun, smt, jagged aliiance 3 when it released, pokemon scarlet , divinity orginal sin 2 ( didnt like 1 maybe cause its too much of this and that so i prefer 2 just in case if people say oh you just ignored it didn you well i play it i just didnt like it ),roguetech (bascially a mod that changed battle tech into a whole roguelike turn based its incredible), FFT Tatics, 40k space wolf (bascillay marvel midnight sun but youre a space marine),Pathfinder wrath of righteous only the dungeon roguielike dlc cause thats what im playing pathfinder for tbh just like build your character then go mess around in dugneon roguelike,one piece odyssey when it released, disgaea,Inscription, xcom chimera squad, Fire emblem engage when it released i guess, silent storm.

Any ideas for ones that’ll suck me in and not let me go? thanks so much ! also im gonna wait for winter sale to hit but it doesnt have to be strictly steam i am not restricted thanks.

I've played a few of the games you mentioned, but the turn based game I played most of over the last few years is Battle Brothers.

It has randomly generated map seeds which are always different or you can find lists of seed codes around on forums, because it can make a big difference to the game. You mostly start with 3 randomly generated bros who have stats in a certain range but have maximum 12 on the field at once. There are different types of origins that affect the campaign in different ways. Hex based, no magic as such, only armor, weapons and items which you buy/scavenge from fights.

Its challenging, I'd suggest to read a guide or three on the basics to help you get started. The mechanics are simple enough, but theres a few hidden modifiers the game doesnt explain well such as swords and spears giving a bonus chance to hit. I keep going back to it and obviously going on about it.

Last edited:
Fall From Heaven mod for Civ 4 … it's basically a whole new game
Yep, there are 3 Civ4 mods which are generally regarded as the pinnacle of an exceptional modding community:
Fall From Heaven 2
Rhye's and Fall of Civilization
The Road to War

The 2 mods I personally use are:
♣ BUG/BAT/BULL for a major interface overhaul with numerous QoL improvements—I would've dropped the game after a year or two if it wasn't for this mod;
♦ Full of Resources map pack—finnicky but great tweaker for most of the main Civ4 maps.

@TonyAvatarGaming anything grab your interest so far?

Reactions: Pifanjr
Oct 16, 2022
Visit site
Yep, there are 3 Civ4 mods which are generally regarded as the pinnacle of an exceptional modding community:
Fall From Heaven 2
Rhye's and Fall of Civilization
The Road to War

The 2 mods I personally use are:
♣ BUG/BAT/BULL for a major interface overhaul with numerous QoL improvements—I would've dropped the game after a year or two if it wasn't for this mod;
♦ Full of Resources map pack—finnicky but great tweaker for most of the main Civ4 maps.

@TonyAvatarGaming anything grab your interest so far?

not sure i am waiting for one peice odyssey

Reactions: Pifanjr
@TonyAvatarGaming Another option if you like 40k is Chaos Gate Daemon Hunters. Its got some depth around the skill trees of the four classes and how they interact. Lacks a bit of polish though, gear management is frustrating before battles, and some of the meta game interface isnt explained well. Just means you might need a restart or two before you get in the swing of it, but its a good game anyway.

TRENDING THREADS