Thoughts on this gaming pc deal?

Found what looks to be a pretty good deal for a second hand gaming pc. Pretty new to this and wondering others opinions. He wants $1800CAD thanks! Here are the specs he's posted:

CPU - Ryzen 1700x
GPU - MSI GTX 1070ti
HDD - 1TB 7200RPM
SSD - 120GB
Motherboard - MSI X370 gaming PRO Carbon
RAM - T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 (2x8gb 3200mhz)

Accessories
Headset - Razer Kraken Tournament
Keyboard- Razer Cyrosa RGB
Mousepad - Razer Firefly RGB
Mouse - Razer Mamba Tournament
Monitor - Samsung 27' Curved WQHD (1440p curved)

Reactions: ZedClampet
Found what looks to be a pretty good deal for a second hand gaming pc. Pretty new to this and wondering others opinions. He wants $1800CAD thanks! Here are the specs he's posted:

CPU - Ryzen 1700x
GPU - MSI GTX 1070ti
HDD - 1TB 7200RPM
SSD - 120GB
Motherboard - MSI X370 gaming PRO Carbon
RAM - T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 (2x8gb 3200mhz)

Accessories
Headset - Razer Kraken Tournament
Keyboard- Razer Cyrosa RGB
Mousepad - Razer Firefly RGB
Mouse - Razer Mamba Tournament
Monitor - Samsung 27' Curved WQHD (1440p curved)

Disclosure: I don't buy used things. I don't like them. I think they are overpriced and unreliable. It's likely an unreasonable way to be, but I am what I am.

It's an okay deal. The thing is, right now I can find a far superior brand new desktop for the about same amount of money, but not with all the extras. You'd have to buy the monitor (the one you are looking at is very good) and the peripherals you wanted.

HOWEVER, as soon as the world is pure as wind driven snow again, Nvidea is planning to announce their new graphics cards, which would drive down the cost of the computer I just looked up, and you might be able to pick it up and have enough money left over to get most of the peripherals.

But that plan involves waiting, uncertainty and unknowns. Your plan is more reliable. Just don't shop computers for awhile after you make your purchase and you won't regret it.

My philosophy is that the best time to buy a computer is now. If you start getting lured into waiting for new tech, you'll never buy one.

Zloth

Community Contributor
My philosophy is that the best time to buy a computer is now. If you start getting lured into waiting for new tech, you'll never buy one.
That's starting to get less and less true. That sentiment was born back in the days where every part of a computer was increasing at a heck of a pace. CPUs, video cards, sound cards, memory, Windows... wait 3 years and that 80n86 processor becomes an 80(n+1)86 that leaves the last version in the dust.

But sound cards flatlined over a decade ago. A decade-old CPU like an i7-970 would (at least speed-wise) be decent enough in today's games, I think. Even video cards seem to be levelling out - NVIDIA's 2000 series came out 20 months back and it really didn't seem all that much better than the 1000 series. Heck, I'm still using my four year old 1080 and having no problem playing games with high settings and even 3D Vision!

Waiting for "the new tech" in the 80's, 90's, and even early 2000's was a bit pointless because, whenever a new video card showed up, there was a new CPU and a big memory leap showing up real soon now. You wait for those two things to come out and, oh, the new version of Windows is just 6 months out, better to just start out with that instead of messing with an upgrade. Ooops, now there's yet another new video card coming out in 8 months... and on and on and on. But these days you can get a top of the line system and nothing will even show up on the horizon for months!

Reactions: Frindis and Sarafan

Sarafan

Community Contributor

I don't agree with this statement as well. We're at the end of current generation of consoles. Once the next gens are out, system requirements for new games will go up significantly. We don't know how much they will rise, but it's pretty certain that the mid-range current gen hardware will have a hard time. The best thing to do right now is try to wait for the release of PS5 and Xbox Series X and see what the new games require. Buying PC hardware now is a risk, especially if the performance of new Nvidia cards will be as high as rumored.

Reactions: Frindis

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I don't get what "mid-range" means anymore. Some people say that my setup (Ryzen 3600 / RTX2060) is midrange, but it's better than 85% of the other PC's out there according to benchmarks.
I also feel like this 'midrange' won't get into that much trouble for the upcoming year or 2. Sure, my videocard might slow down enough that I can't play on Ultra, but I don't think my PC will fall down below minimumspecs anytime soon.

And even if the performance of the new nvidea cards is as good as rumored, that doesn't make the current and previous gens of cards bad.

I find it interesting that both @Zloth and @Sarafan disagree with the same statement because of the exact opposite reason :D
Personally it would depend if I wait or not. Since new CPU's come out every year, but only about every 2 years have a significant increase I think (Ryzen 2x was only slightly faster than Ryzen 1x), not sure about Ryzen 4x vs Ryzen 3x though. Also, nvidea cards come out every 2 or 3 years now. Now they're within a rumored 6 months it might be worth waiting for it a little bit. When they're out, reviewed and benchmarked I wouldn't wait much longer or you'd be waiting for another 2 years.

Were the rumors not true and the cards are not as good as expected, there should still be previous gen cards arround that you (by then) should be able to purchase for a lower price.

Long story short (I know it makes the story even longer): I only wait when new hardware is expected within a reasonable range of time. When I want to upgrade and hardware has just been released, I'm not going to wait for the next generation.

That's a very expensive purchase to make with no warranty.

I'd suggest not touching it with a ten foot pole. If you do buy, well, it's your call and it could all turn out okay. Ultimately it's a gamble.

TRENDING THREADS