PCG Article Thoughts on PCG article about EA looking to get purchased

Prolific Studio-buyer EA is reportedly looking to be bought in turn | PC Gamer

I have no interest in sports games, or most games that EA produces (not that they're bad games by any means, just that they don't interest me). The only part of EA that does interest me is Bioware and the Mass Effect and Dragonage series, the last purchased game being Mass Effect Andromeda which was roughly around 2017.

I don't follow corporations or their subsidiaries in the gaming world unless it affects the acquisition of a company whose games I enjoy, so I'm fairly naive in that respect. But it seems like the focus thus far for possible acquisition is the sports game franchises that EA owns. Of the companies listed: NBCUniversal/Comcast, Disney, Apple, & Amazon, I don't think any of those corporations really care about Bioware that creates primarily RPG games.

That's concerning to me. Not that EA has done Bioware any favors since it's acquisition, with it's protracted and troubled development cycles as well as employee turnover, but I can't help but think that matters will get even worse from EA's acquisition by any of those listed corporations. Those are just my initial feelings on the possibilities of a possible EA acquisition. What are your thoughts?

Note: Is Apple considered to be Microsoft (I told you I was naive about corporate structure)? It that's the case, there might be hope there, having Bethesda, Obsidian, and Bioware under one roof (from an RPG perspective that is).

Is Apple considered to be Microsoft
No, definitely not. MS needs Apple as a separate and independent entity to keep MS safe from anti-trust and monopoly investigations—they once went so far over 20 years ago to save Apple so they'd stay in the game.

Also, Apple isn't a gaming company, other than as a retailer of mobile games thru the app store.

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
They'll be whatever they need to be if it makes money for them. Or they can sell off parts, like Square is doing.

Like I have said before (though maybe not here?) - it doesn't matter as much as you might think. Even if EA gets bought by a company that's even worse for BioWare than EA, it's not like the chain the developers up in the company basement. They might tempt them to do other projects, but I expect many of them will simply quit and join another company. The talent will still be out there, it will just show up under different company names.

I replied to this thread without paying attention to what the thread is about. EA wants to get purchased? That's insane. MS already has a deal with EA Access on their Game Pass service. Wouldn't surprise me to see something happen there, if this is true. If that happens, Microsoft is going to be a behemoth. Now if only they'll buy Nintendo and put Zelda on PC and Xbox. :LOL:

WARNING: Crazy speculation ahead.

I honestly just thought they were waiting for the Microsoft purchase of Act/Bliz to be finished and then Microsoft would buy them.

I sort of doubt any of those companies buy EA. None of them are gaming companies, and most companies are trying to become more focused right now. Now that the story is out, the EA stock price could potentially go up, with investors anticipating a purchase, which would make deals even more difficult.

Just as a side note, if any of those companies except for Amazon actually buy EA, I would expect non-sports developers like Respawn and Bioware to be split off and sold to...whoever has the money. Sports games are almost a completely different thing than other video games, and have an almost entirely different audience. They are easier for non-gaming companies to understand. Amazon, on the other hand, would likely keep all the developers and destroy them one at a time much the way EA has done.

But I think the most likely result of all this is going to be some new players stepping up if EA continues to look for suitors. The next round will probably be bigger gaming companies like Sony, Microsoft, or Tencent.

Tencent is struggling right now because of Chinese regulation, so they may well not be able to afford EA.

Microsoft is being screamed at by irrational lawmakers accusing them of antitrust issues related to their purchase of Activision/Blizzard. Some are even blaming Microsoft for enabling ethical issues at Act/Bliz. They aren't likely to want more attention right now.

Sony is actively looking to buy people and seems like the obvious choice.

I suspect what will really happen is that we won't hear anything else about this for a year or so and then Microsoft will buy them.

And lastly, told to follow their hearts, Bioware would return to being a great company.

Last edited:
Sports games are almost a completely different thing than other video games, and have an almost entirely different audience. They are easier for non-gaming companies to understand.
Yes, that's a good point. The only one of the non-gaming companies that might interest is Disney, if they see marketing synergy possibilities with their ESPN unit—which is a major sports broadcaster in USA. They already broadcast the grass versions, why not the digital versions too?

However, Disney has been in the gaming and online sector for over 25 years, without ever making a breakthru, so it's unlikely they have the culture to do well with EA. The bits that did work for a while were aimed at young kids and moms/families.

I don't see EA being bought as a bad thing, I'm oddly optismtic that whatever company gets hold of them will capitalise on the franchise that it is.

It's not like EA published terrible games, they were quite well polished in terms of the aesthetics and the sports industry is massive, especially within the gaming sector. It's just that their games lack a soul.

If someone came in and bought them out, then injected that "soul like feeling" to their games (similar to how the Witcher 3 felt it was made), the they are on to huge things.

It seems like a logical choice for how Microsoft is moving at the moment to secure EA after the Activision/Blizzard deal has been settled. They're also clearly on the verge of introducing Ubisoft games on the pass as well. It seems like they're systemically killing Sony Playstation off with these approaches.

Yes, that's a good point. The only one of the non-gaming companies that might interest is Disney, if they see marketing synergy possibilities with their ESPN unit—which is a major sports broadcaster in USA. They already broadcast the grass versions, why not the digital versions too?

However, Disney has been in the gaming and online sector for over 25 years, without ever making a breakthru, so it's unlikely they have the culture to do well with EA. The bits that did work for a while were aimed at young kids and moms/families.
That's actually a great point. Disney already has a deal with them for the Star Wars games. They might decide to just buy them.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I've heard rumors that they might try to get into the gaming scene sometime, but I don't believe it will ever happen.
again?

I would prefer to see EA evaporate than to be sold.

the bigger fish trying to reduce waste right now, don't need to buy EA
Disney, Apple, and Amazon
Disney losing money right now, down 33% value.
Apple... no idea. Not like they haven't before. Having your own games sure helps when it comes to selling a console.
Amazon could buy it, their last MMO could have used people who knew what they doing.

No, definitely not. MS needs Apple as a separate and independent entity to keep MS safe from anti-trust and monopoly investigations—they once went so far over 20 years ago to save Apple so they'd stay in the game.

Also, Apple isn't a gaming company, other than as a retailer of mobile games thru the app store.
You know, I read what I wrote yesterday, and I don't know why I even thought that. Sometimes I really need to think my thoughts through before I type (if that makes sense).

Even if EA gets bought by a company that's even worse for BioWare than EA, it's not like the chain the developers up in the company basement. They might tempt them to do other projects, but I expect many of them will simply quit and join another company. The talent will still be out there, it will just show up under different company names.
That's certainly a possibility, but my concern with that is that they (the former Bioware) would loose the IP of the Mass Effect & Dragonage series of games, effectively ending them as they stand, which would be a shame in my opinion.

Microsoft is being screamed at by irrational lawmakers accusing them of antitrust issues related to their purchase of Activision/Blizzard. Some are even blaming Microsoft for enabling ethical issues at Act/Bliz. They aren't likely to want more attention right now.
Yeah, they garnered a lot of attention right now, with the Act/Bliz (pending) acquisition right on top of the Bethesda & Obsidian acquisitions. Even if/when the Act/Bliz one gets approval, they might wait awhile before they gobble up another gaming company.

Sony is actively looking to buy people and seems like the obvious choice.
Please, gaming gods, no. That would probably lead to PS exclusives for both the next Mass Effect & Dragonage games.

I suspect what will really happen is that we won't hear anything else about this for a year or so and then Microsoft will buy them.

And lastly, told to follow their hearts, Bioware would return to being a great company.
This is my secret hope (well, no longer a secret). That MS will eventually buyout EA and give Bioware free reign to develop their RPG games as they want to, effectively resurrecting Bioware. MS, at least to this point, seems to have left both Bethesda & Obsidian to develop their games without interference, so my hope is that this would also apply to Bioware.

You know, I read what I wrote yesterday, and I don't know why I even thought that. Sometimes I really need to think my thoughts through before I type (if that makes sense).

That's certainly a possibility, but my concern with that is that they (the former Bioware) would loose the IP of the Mass Effect & Dragonage series of games, effectively ending them as they stand, which would be a shame in my opinion.

Yeah, they garnered a lot of attention right now, with the Act/Bliz (pending) acquisition right on top of the Bethesda & Obsidian acquisitions. Even if/when the Act/Bliz one gets approval, they might wait awhile before they gobble up another gaming company.

Please, gaming gods, no. That would probably lead to PS exclusives for both the next Mass Effect & Dragonage games.

This is my secret hope (well, no longer a secret). That MS will eventually buyout EA and give Bioware free reign to develop their RPG games as they want to, effectively resurrecting Bioware. MS, at least to this point, seems to have left both Bethesda & Obsidian to develop their games without interference, so my hope is that this would also apply to Bioware.

Another possibility is that EA, failing to find a buyer, decides to either split into two companies (sports and other) or decides to sell the non-sports developers.

HOWEVER
One odd thing about the article is that it isn't consistent or simply fails to provide information. It says that EA was seeking to be bought, but provides no evidence of that. The NBC/Universal negotiations were initiated by NBC/Universal. Apparently they became serious but fell apart. At that point, discussions were had with other companies. But those other companies could well have been the hyenas standing at the fringes of the brush. They smelled the kill and just showed up. When the lion left, they approached. Um, sorry, I just wanted to describe EA as a dead wildebeest. The point is that EA probably didn't initiate anything. After they talked to Comcast, other companies probably just got involved out of curiosity. I don't see anything in that article that makes me think EA is actually actively trying to be purchased. They might be. I just don't get that impression from the article.

Plus, Andrew Wilson wanted to be the CEO of NBC/Universal/Comcast. What does that mean? Was he trying to sell EA to get an even better job? If these other companies tell him he can work in the mail room, would he still be interested?

I'm just going to shut up now. There isn't enough information to go on. We'll find out what happens if something happens, I suppose.

TRENDING THREADS