The last game you completed

Page 35 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
ok a couple of games finished on the raspberry pi.

the first is the Firemen on the snes by HUMAN Entertainment. Take control of a fire fighter and fight your way up a towering inferno. Got to say, for a 1994 game its a pretty clever and fun take on fire fighting. Its essentially a 360 shoot em up as you're up against the clock to reach the objectives on each floor. it can get decidedly tricky as there are very few life restoration opportunities (maybe 1 or 2 tops per level) and that time limit is brutal. You probably have enough to get to the boss and have 3 to 4 minutes spare to take on the boss. An AI assistant thats actually competent, nice graphics and audio makes it a pretty quality game. The only downside is perhaps the random situations where you could lose health, sometimes open the wrong door or shatter some glass and you can cause an explosion causing massive damage. Would i recommend it? for a shooter for its time absolutely. Might be even more interesting if there was 2 player mode or something.

lastly another game Wiz 'n' Liz on the mega drive. Now what intrigues me is that i think i saw this on the amiga first but opted for the mega drive version. The first thing that hits you is that awesome sound track, gives me amiga vibes all over. The second thing that hits you is the speed the game runs at. its like faster then sonic and makes precision extremely difficult. its not surprising as the aim of the game you have to move quickly, the time limit is like 3 minutes and its neigh impossible not to lose a life. I played it on easy and i barely completed it.

Speaking of completing it, on easy i managed to beat it, but on normal and above its extremely difficult. The problem with the breezy gameplay is that its not very compelling. its just collect the rabbits and after you get x amount you leave the zone with whatever fruit, time and stars along the way. There is some layer of some complexity, but its more like bonus rounds / points and honestly not that thrilling.

I just completed the base game and story DLC of The Callisto Protocol. The Final Transmission DLC extends the story arc of the main character and reveals how the game really ends.

I must say, despite some Steam reviews claiming this game has an uninteresting story, I thought it was pretty well written and suitably as horrific and desperate as you'd want a survival horror game to be.

There was also a bit of cognitive dissonance revealed at the end and a really sad ending in the DLC that wrapped things up well. It's one of those games that puts you in a mood after playing it that makes you really feel for the protagonist.

Gameplay wise, the arsenal, is rather minimalist, especially if you limit yourself to the 3 most effective weapons. You also have more inventory space that way, since there's less ammo types to carry. I actually prefer this in Survival Horror games for two reasons, they are limited resource type games anyway, and it feels more realistic than being able to carry an armory on your back like in Doom.

Combat loop wise it's fairly minimalist as well, requiring careful balancing of melee, guns, and GRP Glove. Some have claimed it gets repetitious, but I feel they varied the types of enemies and environs just enough to keep things from being predictable. Just the fact that you often don't know when an enemy's combo is going to end, or when another will join in the fight, keeps you on your toes.

They also save some of the best potential projectiles to toss with the GRP Glove for later in the game. I also prefer how the use of the GRP Glove looks, sounds, and feels compared to Kinesis in Dead Space. The inventory space is also more minimalist, as you don't change suits as often as in Dead Space. This means you have to carefully weigh your decision of how much health, ammo, and GRP batteries you carry.

Even the monetary system is more minimalist than Dead Space, where money you get for selling rare parts you find is not nearly enough to fully upgrade 3 guns, the baton, and the GRP. In fact I often times had to buy ammo vs an upgrade. It works out well as long as you don't overuse any part of the basic combat elements, which can leave you low on health, ammo, or batteries. In fact I'd say the game is well balanced.

Some have said as well that the combat, especially the melee, feels clumsy. It can, but mainly if you try to overuse melee, as when Jacob gets tired, it shows, as it SHOULD in a survival horror type game. There are also times when the reticule to shoot a worn down enemy appears when you're VERY close to an enemy that is sprouting, which is more likely to happen if you don't balance melee with shots and dodges.

Tentacles sprouting on an enemy while in combat can be good, or bad. With a balanced attack, Jacob will less likely stumble toward the enemy, allowing him space and time to not just blindly shoot at the reticule prompt, but instead at the tentacles. The latter is preferred, because it can down them in one shot. That means less ammo used, and less likely another will gang up on you, leaving two to fight simultaneously.

If you get caught out stumbling tired though, chances are at some point, an enemy's sprouts are going to fester, and they'll transform into something MUCH harder to deal with. A lot of people I find don't pay attention to or appreciate small details like this in a game. It can mean the difference between a well fought fight, and feeling like the game is "too clumsy" in it's combat as some claim in negatively biased reviews.

Last edited:

McStabStab

Community Contributor
Rolled the credits on Resident Evil 4 Remake in hardcore difficulty. Had a great time replaying the game.

One thing that's common for all of the current-gen Resident Evil games is they put a TON of detail into the environments and the asset models. What's even greater about it is they showcase the models, environments, and concept art right at the main menu where you can "purchase" (with easy to come by in-game currency) these models to zoom in and inspect in detail. Getting to see the Regenerador's disgusting maw, the detail on Leon's tactical outfit, or the texture on Ada Wong's dress (eh, fellas?) close up is a nice little extra on top of what already is a rewarding playthrough.

Can't wait for more RE titles!

*Side note - I don't see what all the fuss was about Ada's voice actor, she did a great job.

Finished XCOM 2: War of the Chosen today on Veteran. Amazing game, easily 9/10, the best tactics game I've played.

I love the overarching campaign setting, letting you lose soldiers or entire missions without forcing you to start over and giving some variety between the tactics gameplay. The variety in maps is also pretty decent and a lot better than in XCOM: Enemy Unknown (from memory). I only started getting a bit bored of doing missions when I got so powerful there was no challenge left, so if I ever replay the game I need to pick a higher difficulty (and save scum less).

One complaint I have is that I wish you could predict sight lines better. You can see which enemies will be in sight before you commit to a move, which is nice, but that doesn't include enemies you have detected but are in fog of war at the moment, it doesn't let you predict what will be in line of sight if you destroy a wall or obstacle and it doesn't tell you which squares will be covered by overwatch.

I also wish you could save equipment loadouts and just apply them to a class with a single click. It got pretty annoying having to re-equip all my soldiers before every mission. Though I see now that there is a mod that does something like this (Automated Loadout Manager), so I'll have to remember that if I ever do a replay.

Those are fairly minor complaints though, the main gameplay loop is amazing and while it got a bit boring when it got too easy, I never skipped any missions. I definitely plan to return to the game, either on a higher difficulty or with the Long War mod.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
capsule_616x353.jpg

All in all, can't really recommend it. It's a solid 6/10 take on similar games like Battle Brothers, Wartales and with a tiny bit of Darkest Dungeon thrown in for good measure.
Combat remains mostly the same, but since you level up your mercenaries and upgrade/unlock skills, there's some variety there and some of of the late game fights can be actually challenging.
That being said, The Iron Oath tries a lot of things, but fails to establish them in any manner that isn't shallow. Story is basic, but works ok-ish as a "prompt for next dungeon to traverse". All the events, some wars, battles fought by factions - it's almost impossible to spot these. And since I was friends with everycity (since I was doing quests everywhere and at some point I did something for every single city), not even changes in city ownership mattered at all. Nothing changes, expect some mild price range due to certain events.
The whole game is just that: a bit too shallow. It would be better if the devs focused more on making the skills more unique and useful instead of adding more features that don't really matter, imho.
For example: almost every class has the same damn skills, just named slightly differently. A lot of the skill progression feels weak and in practice some differences between classes are very minor.
Because let's be honest, Defenders, Pugoglists and Pyrolancers all have that one attack that will hit an enemy and push him back. It's the same thing, with just different name.

Pixel art is nice, there's that and there's fun to be had, but in the genre of "leader of mercenary band", The Iron Oath falls behind both Battle Brothers and Wartales.

Well i'm calling it. i've finished Assassin's creed odyssey after 169 hours. The best way to describe the game? its like eating mid/low budget brand of frozen pizza for dinner for the last 4 months. I could do it, but its not top quality, its samey and there are far better things i could be playing. yet, i do like the assassins creed series and the exploration for a while and find comfort in it.

Initially i was quite excited with the game it looks fantastic and the world is vast to explore. The only draw back visually was more technical issues where going into dark caves would tank my frame rate and the microstutters (never got to the bottom of those. Some say its the ubisoft client, but it more likely my aging graphics card+ poor optimization)

Gamesplay wise its more of origins but at a much larger scale and throwing in some free boat action whenever you want it. Whilst there are a lot of content and missons to be played, the game will get very samey, very quickly as its filled with the usual bloat and grind to complete stuff. yet at the same time, its all very doable. Levelling up is surprisingly quick and i would do so every day doing the odd spare missions here and there. Like i said in previous posts, after you reach level 50 everything is unlocked and accessible. whilst there is supposed to be a sense of progression (areas are locked off as high areas to make you stay away), after reaching level 50 the whole thing feels directionless. Too often i would have randomly find mission items, kill HVT before unmasking them and going back to previously cleared bases. The combat whilst is fine isn't all that hot as it has an MMO style grind to everything. bosses and elite enemies will take a long time to chip away and sometimes you can't assassinate targets even if you maximise critical damage as enemies will be, at most one level below you and you're constantly trying to get better gear to keep up. I also found some annoying bugs. The spartan kick ability isn't that reliable as i try to kick targets off a ledge or it kills targets after i knock them down.

Whilst the game has top production values, at the same time it also seems lacking. All the cultists have very little fanfare to them, unlike in origins you get to feel and sense the bad side of these characters and even get some decent screen time. In odyssey, most of them are just random targets and might as well be another faceless goon. To its credit, the way i can customize my gear visually is a great QoL feature.

So... is the DLC worth buying? That depends. legacy of the first blade DLC does pad out the main game areas with some additional content and without it, some areas are pretty vacant and void of any thing interesting. Sure it adds some side content that enriches and has some character building but again, not entirely necessary.

The fate of Atlanis episodes isn't that much more special. Sure it has a nice aesthetic to everything and we get to see some old friends we lost on the way and we get some backstory that refers to the game backlore on the ISU. Tbh i found much of the content tedious (but by this point i was getting sick of playing the game) namely the layouts were mutlifloored and travelling is a slog. hell, atlantis itself is pretty but a real nightmare to travel around on foot. To top it off the content isn't all that compelling. best way to describe it would be pretty, but pretty vacant too. The worst part is the story, its suppose to extend the ending of the original game after cassandra\alexios hands over the staff but the whole thing feels rushed and cheap. hell the final encounter with that abstergo villian is pretty dire, almost saturday morning cartoon levels of complexity.

So... is bothe pieces worth £20 each? Absolutely not. I would save it was quite good value for the gold edition for £12 when i bought it, but really your mileage will vary on them. If you have the patience, want to dip your toes in more assassins creed odyssey later down the line, its ok. But for less patient probably not.

Well i'm calling it. i've finished Assassin's creed odyssey after 169 hours. The best way to describe the game? its like eating mid/low budget brand of frozen pizza for dinner for the last 4 months. I could do it, but its not top quality, its samey and there are far better things i could be playing. yet, i do like the assassins creed series and the exploration for a while and find comfort in it.

I think Assassin's Creed became more and more like a kind of brainless slog over time. It's fine if you just want to zone out and tick off some of the many, many activities in the game, but I feel like the story has gradually become worse and the gameplay much more grindy over time.

I used to really like the Assassin's Creed games, but I don't think I'll ever play another game in the series.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I think Assassin's Creed became more and more like a kind of brainless slog over time. It's fine if you just want to zone out and tick off some of the many, many activities in the game, but I feel like the story has gradually become worse and the gameplay much more grindy over time.

I used to really like the Assassin's Creed games, but I don't think I'll ever play another game in the series.

yeah i don't recall origins as grindy as odyssey. i mean there were points in the game i was just groaning as how much health bosses have. I invested in assassin abilities partly because you dished out the most damage with skills like herostrike or critical assassinate in the early game. Bow skills just aren't worth the investment as it did so little damage. its made much, much worse if your weapons are several levels below the current level.

poison and fire damage does ease the pain, but again against elites and bosses can take inhumane amounts of damage.

At times it reminds me of The division series, how enemies just become absolute damage sponges.

yeah i don't recall origins as grindy as odyssey. i mean there were points in the game i was just groaning as how much health bosses have. I invested in assassin abilities partly because you dished out the most damage with skills like herostrike or critical assassinate in the early game. Bow skills just aren't worth the investment as it did so little damage. its made much, much worse if your weapons are several levels below the current level.

poison and fire damage does ease the pain, but again against elites and bosses can take inhumane amounts of damage.

At times it reminds me of The division series, how enemies just become absolute damage sponges.

Whereas in the first game, only the final fight was any kind of a challenge and even then you could kill him with one attack of your hidden blade if you managed to get him to the ground. In fact, I think pretty much every enemy until Rogue could be one-shotted with a single attack. The series has basically become an entirely different genre by now.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I had an ok time finishing Origins but I had a great time finishing Odyssey. I don’t know why, I’m a huge ancient Egypt fan but overall the Greek Islands were so gorgeous. Great review btw!
i agree, ancient greece was really nice, but tbh it lacked much variety. i would argue Origins was more interesting with more diverse wild life, the deserts gave way to swamps, sprawling cities, temples, vast deserts, mountainous regions and even lush greenscapes that looked like greece.

odyssey it felt more like a variety of green trees. Sure, there were salt planes and beaches etc but it wasn't vastly different, more a subtle different. Sparta wasn't all that great compared to athens.

one thing i forgot to mention, the MTXs of this game and customization. The good news is that there was plenty of opportunity to customize your ship with various crews and flags, stuff like that. The MTX stuff is a mixed back tbh, i had a look and most of it i felt was meh. But i've never been suckered into cosmetics and most/ if not all of them verged on the fantastical side and really wasn't my thing. Not sure if everyone got it, but i did get 200 helix points free and when a sale rolled around i just picked the one i liked most and i could afford and left.

But wait! you can get the MTX without helix/money! you just need to collect the super rare orichalcum scattered all across the world. Don't bother buying the map, there are online maps for free to collect the 300+ or so scattered around. Plus you could do a daily mission and grab 5-10 a day.

Unfortunately thats where the good news ends. there are 2 ways to spend it:

A: weekly sales where you can pick and choose what you want. The legendary MTX stuff is there but unfortunately its bloody expensive.

b: Loot boxes. mixed in with the epic loot is the mtx legendary stuff. Which is bloody rare you'll get legendary stuff and its piece by piece. At the very least with helix points you can buy a set but the free method is a stingy spin of the wheel as to what you get. No surprises that from the 780 i amassed i got maybe 5 or 6 items... Most of the legendary stuff not all that hot. Maybe some boots, a set of gloves, a legendary captain there.

TRENDING THREADS