That one boss that got away

For me it was the Ancient Dragon from Dark Souls 2. I fought the dragon over and over again but I never managed to kill it! I knew roughly where to stand and how to dodge the attacks, but somehow I always ended up flattened by its feet or roasted by the flames. So, I shrugged off this dreadful experience and thought to myself that it was an optional boss after all. Here is an example of a fight with it:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtkB8e5V9pM

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I had problems with dragons as well. Never managed to beat Scyorielaphas from Pillars of Eternity 2. He was very hard, if you tried to beat him on the suggested level. I decided to pass on him because I didn't have willingness to repeat the whole quest from the beginning at a later stage. He caught me by surprise and I decided to release him.

I also never managed to beat the Sinh dragon from the first Dark Souls 2 DLC (Crown of the Sunken King). It was way too much for me. :) The DLCs for this game are extremely hard.

For me it was the Ancient Dragon from Dark Souls 2. I fought the dragon over and over again but I never managed to kill it! I knew roughly where to stand and how to dodge the attacks, but somehow I always ended up flattened by its feet or roasted by the flames. So, I shrugged off this dreadful experience and thought to myself that it was an optional boss after all.
It's funny how my mind immediately went to exactly the same game. However, for me the one that got away was Lud and Zallen, the King's Pets. It's not even that the boss fight itself is that hard --after playing Sekiro I'm no longer that easily impressed-- but the trek across the frozen wasteland to even get there is just sheer madness. A vast sea of snowy nothingness engulfs you and even if you manage to keep walking in the right direction, you'll be assaulted by frozen reindeer every step of the way. Not of the cuddly Rudolph variety, either.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2z9u0w4oaw

To this day I haven't beaten the twin tigers. Someday.
---

I also never managed to beat the Sinh dragon from the first Dark Souls 2 DLC (Crown of the Sunken King). It was way too much for me. The DLCs for this game are extremely hard.

Man, I loved the fight against Sinh! Dark Souls does dragons incredibly well, whether it's Khalameet from DS1, Sinh or the Ancient Dragon from DS2 or Darkeater Midir (the best one) from DS3. The games really have a way of making you feel incredibly insignificant against these mighty creatures. The only other game that came close in terms of dragon battles was Dragon Age: Inquisition, but I still prefer the Dark Souls variety. In Dark Souls it just feels more personal and dangerous somehow.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPlWnCE4Edo

Zloth

Community Contributor
Sheesh, there's a bunch of these. Mercifully optional, thank the devs.

The White Conqueror in The Last Remnant is probably the most regrettable. In my final (third) play-through, I limited myself to rule out certain powerful characters (no David or any of his generals, no Jager because he was a 3rd Committee general). I also refused to try and cheese the game mechanics by keeping my levels as low as possible. Exploiting certain boss battles for near-infinite XP was out, too, as was farming areas for XP. The whole point was to prove that it was possible to beat the game playing normally - something many people still don't seem to believe. Not only did I beat it, I beat it without the best characters in "hard mode" and I beat all the optional bosses as well... except this guy. He would throw this thing at me and it was game-over every time.
full

I've still got a save so there's still a chance but to do it I think I would need to run through the hidden dungeon many, many times to get every single character's super-weapons. Blah.

Reactions: Frindis
The 4 dragons in the end of Tiny Trina's DLC in Borderlands 2. Never managed to kill them, but I actually feel like that was near impossible to do solo anyway.
I really need to play this DLC. I'm a lazy guy, having the 'Handsome collection' and I even love Tiny Tina from the main story. She is funny as hell!

I also never managed to beat the Sinh dragon from the first Dark Souls 2 DLC (Crown of the Sunken King). It was way too much for me. The DLCs for this game are extremely hard.

I managed to find a nice strategy that worked for my particular build. If I remember correctly I was using a bow and basically taking a shot, running, then taking another shot. I am quite glad I was not using any melee build against that nasty creature!

Going through Sekiro endings at the moment and one of them is so hard I'm stress eating
I have to play Sekiro, but I know for a fact that I am going to be having a very, very, very hard time with the fast-paced combat. Coming from Dark Souls, It will be a major slap in the face for me.

A vast sea of snowy nothingness engulfs you and even if you manage to keep walking in the right direction, you'll be assaulted by frozen reindeer every step of the way. Not of the cuddly Rudolph variety, either.

I can't seem to remember the snow area at all. Was this an alternative path?

Man, I loved the fight against Sinh! Dark Souls does dragons incredibly well, whether it's Khalameet from DS1, Sinh or the Ancient Dragon from DS2 or Darkeater Midir (the best one) from DS3. The games really have a way of making you feel incredibly insignificant against these mighty creatures. The only other game that came close in terms of dragon battles was Dragon Age: Inquisition, but I still prefer the Dark Souls variety. In Dark Souls it just feels more personal and dangerous somehow.

The fact that the dragons feel heavy and impact the surroundings makes them pretty amazing in my eyes.
Speaking of dragons, I remember having a haaaaard time against the corrupted dragons in Neverwinter Nights. I was using some horrible bow build and they just killed me over and over again. I had to hide in a small cave and shoot at them at an angle where I could not get hit. Took me forever as I also had horrible ammo left, lol.

Not only did I beat it, I beat it without the best characters in "hard mode" and I beat all the optional bosses as well... except this guy. He would throw this thing at me and it was game-over every time.

Instadeath, it sucks... What move did he use, like was it a type of power attack move?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sarafan
I just can remember only one. On nintendo DS (sorry, can't think on one on pc, but surely is one somewhere) an optional bossfight on Final Fantasy XII revenant wings. Can't remember details right now but was a a battle with some huge creature that when beaten would give something cool like all other optional bonus bosses. But this one, like, beat me to pulp with such ease (even after I grind that game so furiously that nothing before it even presented something that resembled an actual challenge) that I leave the game without getting to the final of it. That probably wasn't even remotely as hard.
I would have to check my NDS, it may well still have that savegame.

Last edited:

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I managed to find a nice strategy that worked for my particular build. If I remember correctly I was using a bow and basically taking a shot, running, then taking another shot. I am quite glad I was not using any melee build against that nasty creature!

I was playing a melee character unfortunately. He had a really hard time with the dragon and that's why I decided to give up. I know DS2 was made to be a very hard game, but this was simply too much for me. :)

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Dark Souls 2 - the "multiplayer" bosses they added in DLC. Even stronger and annoying Smoltering Demon? A whole gank-squad? Hell no. Other than that the only boss I avoided was the "winter DLC" one, mostly because it's the only one I somehow never bought for some reason. So let's just say he got lucky :p

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Tomb Raider (2013), I'm pretty sure I got up to the doors leading to the final boss fight, and I just stopped there. Don't ask me why, it just happened.

I probably played hundreds of hours of Jagged Alliance 2, but I'm pretty sure I never even set foot in Diedranna's palace.

But those are boss fights that never happened. What about one I couldn't beat? Hmmm... what immediately comes to mind are the end missions for Command & Conquer series games. Not that I've never beaten them, but now that I mention it, I'm not entirely sure which games/factions I actually finished. I do remember specifically, on the Allies campaign in Red Alert, I got to the final mission, and within the first, probably 10-15 minutes of the mission an enemy nuke destroyed me completely. That was followed by a swift rage-quit.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Another non PC game, but I just remembered the Axem Rangers of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

Everything up to that point had gone fine, but they just destroyed me. I think I tried a few times before giving up and never returning.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Instadeath, it sucks... What move did he use, like was it a type of power attack move?
Oh, it wasn't insta-death. More like the final railroad spike in the coffin. The guy is tossing out full-battlefield death quite a bit so it's hard to keep everyone going. After that thing, nobody was left standing.
I think that it was the best DLC! I loved Tiny Tina in the game, but small spoiler alert: This DLC is both fun and sad. It also has a pretty good story actually
Tiny Tina is also one of my favorite XCOM 2 voice packs. ;)

I got that DLC but never did play it. I really should give it a shot again.

The first that comes to mind is Barma'thazel from The Messenger, great game btw.
I was quite good at it but after playing for a few hours I couldn't beat this boss, decided to try again the next day and still couldn't beat him, left the game for a week and forgot all of the controls.
Gave up.

Allthough I do intend on beating it at some point in the future, or at least trying to.

TRENDING THREADS