System filecheck on C:

Jul 26, 2022
Visit site
Hi

Now i've gotten more problems with my sons computer since yesterdays BSOD it scans the C: at startup but it can't fix the corrupted files.

When i made a chkdsk i got:

"
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
1049600 file records processed.
File verification completed.
Phase duration (File record verification): 12.65 seconds.
35212 large file records processed.
Phase duration (Orphan file record recovery): 0.00 milliseconds.
0 bad file records processed.
Phase duration (Bad file record checking): 0.48 milliseconds.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
95519 reparse records processed.
1455180 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
Phase duration (Index verification): 29.31 seconds.
0 unindexed files scanned.
Phase duration (Orphan reconnection): 7.44 seconds.
0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
Phase duration (Orphan recovery to lost and found): 0.34 milliseconds.
95519 reparse records processed.
Phase duration (Reparse point and Object ID verification): 261.81 milliseconds.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.
Phase duration (Security descriptor verification): 24.90 milliseconds.
202791 data files processed.
Phase duration (Data attribute verification): 0.37 milliseconds.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
41832912 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
Phase duration (USN journal verification): 201.08 milliseconds.
The Volume Bitmap is incorrect.
Windows has checked the file system and found problems.
Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair.

116212812 KB total disk space.
105187968 KB in 653632 files.
471540 KB in 202792 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
1168980 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
9384324 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
29053203 total allocation units on disk.
2346081 allocation units available on disk.
Total duration: 49.93 seconds (49935 ms)."

When i tried the suggested command "Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair." it couldn't allocate place for a shadow thingy...

How or what can i do to fix this corrupted files?

First time i run this scan i got the name of the files that was corrupted but not now, still when we start the computer it makes a autoscan on C: why is that?

it couldn't allocate place for a shadow thingy...

what make/model is the C drive?
he has an SSD right?
open command prompt (admin)
type chkdsk c: /f and press enter
2 paragraphs will pop up, Press Y to agree to run it at start up
restart PC and let it run scan

/f = fix
if his drive was a hdd, you could use /f /r which is fix & repair but ssd don't have sectors so nothing to repair.

I am going to work out how to read dumps this week. I have to go out tomorrow but after then I give it a go

right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Jul 26, 2022
Visit site
what make/model is the C drive?
he has an SSD right?
open command prompt (admin)
type chkdsk c: /f and press enter
2 paragraphs will pop up, Press Y to agree to run it at start up
restart PC and let it run scan

/f = fix
if his drive was a hdd, you could use /f /r which is fix & repair but ssd don't have sectors so nothing to repair.

I am going to work out how to read dumps this week. I have to go out tomorrow but after then I give it a go

right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Hi and thank you, i've tried this now and here is the results:

From the first command Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth it says when done:

Path :
Online : True
ImageHealthState : Healthy
RestartNeeded : False

Seccond command Then type SFC /scannow gives me:

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

And here's the logfile:

When i restart it still tries to do the scan of the c: wich is a Samsung SSD 120 GB. It is just 60% full because i've told him not to install any games on it.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jul 26, 2022
Visit site
If I read the data correctly, you have a 128GB SSD system drive, which has close to 120GB used—is that correct?

This may be a cause of various problems. While modern SSDs usually have some hidden capacity, I recommend you uninstall some big game before trying to fix anything further—give Windows extra room to breathe.

No it is just 60% full becuase it is so small i told him not to save or install any games to it.

Did you run chkdsk c: /f ?
if its still running it at start... it could be you need to clean install windows 10 to fix the error

So backup anything on the ssd he doesn't want to lose, put it on hdd
Clean installs not so bad if you not forced to lose anything. You can take time and make sure you have a list of programs to reinstall, or can look over files and make sure you copied everything. Its what I did 2 years ago when I got new PC and had to move everything across.
If he has any steam games, the games themselves can be reused on new install without need to reinstall them
I think same applies for other game clients too

unplug the hdd from data inside case (helps to unplug power before hand) - if the installer finds blank space on another drive, it has been known to put the boot partition on it, and if you remove drive later, it won't boot.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

boot from installer

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Once PC starts fine from ssd a few time, turn PC off, unplug it and plug the hdd back into data again so your son can access files.

the upside to a clean install is it could fix that BSOD.

Jul 26, 2022
Visit site
Did you run chkdsk c: /f ?
if its still running it at start... it could be you need to clean install windows 10 to fix the error

So backup anything on the ssd he doesn't want to lose, put it on hdd
Clean installs not so bad if you not forced to lose anything. You can take time and make sure you have a list of programs to reinstall, or can look over files and make sure you copied everything. Its what I did 2 years ago when I got new PC and had to move everything across.
If he has any steam games, the games themselves can be reused on new install without need to reinstall them
I think same applies for other game clients too

unplug the hdd from data inside case (helps to unplug power before hand) - if the installer finds blank space on another drive, it has been known to put the boot partition on it, and if you remove drive later, it won't boot.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

boot from installer

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Once PC starts fine from ssd a few time, turn PC off, unplug it and plug the hdd back into data again so your son can access files.

the upside to a clean install is it could fix that BSOD.

Yes i tried the chkdsk command and it is the same that windows runs every startup so now i just got 2 of them instead. :)

Can one use the built in reinstall windows without removing any files? Does it fix my problem?

No, because the problem is the actual file structure of the drive, resetting windows won't fix it. Only way is to remake it.
Resets just replace windows, they don't touch the underlying level

The Volume Bitmap is incorrect.
Now the volume is C drive
from what I can gather, the bitmap is used to track used and unused clusters on the drive (clusters are groups of sectors)
so it means it can't tell what space is used/unused

I help people with computer problems on Tom's Hardware and I don't think I ever seen that error before. I lost count of number of people I helped reinstall windows 10.
its unusual.

How old is the ssd?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022
Visit site
No, because the problem is the actual file structure of the drive, resetting windows won't fix it. Only way is to remake it.
Resets just replace windows, they don't touch the underlying level

Now the volume is C drive
from what I can gather, the bitmap is used to track used and unused clusters on the drive (clusters are groups of sectors)
so it means it can't tell what space is used/unused

I help people with computer problems on Tom's Hardware and I don't think I ever seen that error before. I lost count of number of people I helped reinstall windows 10.
its unusual.

How old is the ssd?

Ok, then i have to make a new installation then. Will the inside command in windows do this under the choice erase all? Or how do to make a format of the c: before the new windows?

The SDD is my old one and i think it is about 3 years...

clean install of windows includes a format of the drive so no need to do it first.

3 years isn't that bad but 120gb drives have less extra space on them for error correction

what make/model is drive? most makers have software you can use to check drive. Makes sense to check drive before installing on it. If you tell me what it is, I go see what I can find.

Jul 26, 2022
Visit site
clean install of windows includes a format of the drive so no need to do it first.

3 years isn't that bad but 120gb drives have less extra space on them for error correction

what make/model is drive? most makers have software you can use to check drive. Makes sense to check drive before installing on it. If you tell me what it is, I go see what I can find.

it’s a Samsung sad 840

I removed the Samsung software because in a bother forum I was told it slowing the computer down. Crystal disc info says that the drive health is good.

@Colif nice work here :)
Educational aside please:
116212812 KB total disk space.
105187968 KB in 653632 files.

9384324 KB available on disk
and
it is just 60% full
Ignoring 1,024 not = 1,000, I read the first bit as 116GB total, 105GB used in files, and 9GB available. Iow ~90% full, compared to Todd seeing only 60% full—what am I interpreting wrongly?