Support on my First PC build for Gaming and Video Editing

Jan 1, 2024
Visit site
Hello,

I am at the beginning stages of purchasing my components for my first desktop PC build. I want to primarily use the PC for gaming to a high spec./standard (e.g., 4k gaming). Secondary I want the PC to have the power to edit 4k video. I have bought the PC case (noted below), and I plan to purchase the Intel i9 14th Gen 14900K CPU.

What I am really stuck on is identifying an appropriate ATX Motherboard (ideally white in colour, but not essential!). From what I have read/researched I believe I need a Z790 ATX motherboard to get the best out of my CPU, but I'd really appreciate some support in narrowing down some options, as I equally do not want to waste any money!

Thanks all,

Purchased:
Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh V2 Black ARGB E-ATX PC Case

Jan 1, 2024
Visit site
I’m also looking at potential appropriate GPUs to get the best out of my PC.

I’m currently considering the AMD Radeon graphics card, from what I have researched you get a lot more for your money. Can anyone offer any guidance as to the best fit AMD Radeon GPU for 1440p/4K gaming, please? I’m looking at the 7900 XT, and I feel it could do the job!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The RX 7900 XT and XTX would perform well for gaming. Suitability for video editing depends on the applications you are using and whether they use the GPU for rendering or not.

What applications do you intend to use?

Reactions: Brian Boru

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I’d likely be using Sony Vegas Pro for video editing and yes, rendering too.
Sony Vegas Spec Req
You should be good with the 7900 XT. Just keep in mind that Nvidia GPUs are often better supported with some applications.

I use a 7900 XTX in my main game rig, but use a Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti in my Linux AI/LLM box because of how the apps I am experimenting with prefer certain GPUs. Editing apps can be like that as well.

Jan 1, 2024
Visit site
You should be good with the 7900 XT. Just keep in mind that Nvidia GPUs are often better supported with some applications.

I use a 7900 XTX in my main game rig, but use a Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti in my Linux AI/LLM box because of how the apps I am experimenting with prefer certain GPUs. Editing apps can be like that as well.
Thank you! What CPU do you use? I’m flip flopping between the Intel i9 14th Gen at £550 or the AMD Ryzen 7900X3D at a (discounted) £450. Given that this PC will primarily be used for gaming it feels like I should lean towards AMD… could the 7900X3D also turn its hand to editing if “asked”? It still has 12 cores/24 thread. Aware I’d need to change my motherboard.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
In my game rig I have a Ryzen 9 7950X. In my Linux box a Ryzen 5 5600G. I prefer AMD builds, but have used Intel before, quite successfully. Any of the modern, high-end CPUs will meet your editing needs.

Really a matter of preference and budget.

Jan 1, 2024
Visit site
In my game rig I have a Ryzen 9 7950X. In my Linux box a Ryzen 5 5600G. I prefer AMD builds, but have used Intel before, quite successfully. Any of the modern, high-end CPUs will meet your editing needs.

Really a matter of preference and budget.
Thanks again COLGeek! That’s great, I’m going to research suitable motherboards for the Ryzen 9 7900X3D. If you do have any suitable suggestions that’d be awesome, if not, thanks for all your help!!

Jan 1, 2024
Visit site
@COLGeek, so I've been back and forth a bit but I've decided on these components:
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU
RX7900 XT Phantom Gaming 20GB GPU
Cooler Master Masterbox TD500 Mesh v2 PC Case

Motherboard... is there much difference between the following 2 options?
MSI MPG B650 Edge DDR5 WiFi ATX MB
GIGABYTE B650 AORUS Elite AX ICE (you recommended this one above)

So! What I would really appreciate is some advice on is the following components, please!
Fans (+ radiators if you think they will also be required)
SSD (assuming these are better off in my MB M.2 slots?)
DDR5 RAM
Power Supply (I'm aware that nailing the right wattage is important. Is there somewhere I can go to understand my PC spec. needs?)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There is little appreciable difference between the motherboards. Go with the better price.

CPU cooling: This is what I use and recommend (https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15)
SSD: I use and recommend Samsung SSDs. Using M.2 vice SATA devices, from a user perspective (not from technical differences) is largely moot. Not talking about benchmarks, but what it will seem like while using.
Memory: I recommend 2x16GB (32GB) at a minimum. Faster is better, to a point.
Power supply: Never cheap out here. Get the best you can afford. I recommend a quality 1000w model, like this one: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/psu...num-certified-fully-modular-psu-cp-9020139-na

To make more detailed recommendations, really need to know your budget. pcpartpicker can help you narrow down options.

With your chosen case, you'll also need to install a rear 120mm exhaust fan. I recommend and use Noctua fans. The front fans included with the case should provide sufficient intake and cooling.

• Love
Jan 1, 2024
Visit site
That's great, thanks again @COLGeek.

So I've purchased the PC Case, CPU, GPU and Motherboard already. I have about £500 left to play with on the
CPU cooling, SSD, Memory and Power Supply.

I've looked online and have identified the following:
SSD: SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 Internal SSD - 2 TB - £138
Memory: Lexar Ares 32GB (2 X 16GB) 6400MHz DDR5 UDIMM RAM - White - £106
Power Supply: Phanteks Revolt 1000W ATX 3.0 PCIe 5.0 Modular 80 Plus Platinum Cable Free Power Supply - White - £175
Total - £419 (however that is without any CPU cooling?)

What are your thoughts on my suggestions there?

Jan 1, 2024
Visit site
That's great, thanks again @COLGeek.

So I've purchased the PC Case, CPU, GPU and Motherboard already. I have about £500 left to play with on the
CPU cooling, SSD, Memory and Power Supply.

I've looked online and have identified the following:
SSD: SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 Internal SSD - 2 TB - £138
Memory: Lexar Ares 32GB (2 X 16GB) 6400MHz DDR5 UDIMM RAM - White - £106
Power Supply: Phanteks Revolt 1000W ATX 3.0 PCIe 5.0 Modular 80 Plus Platinum Cable Free Power Supply - White - £175
Total - £419 (however that is without any CPU cooling?)

What are your thoughts on my suggestions there?
Found this Liquid Cooler, that takes me just above budget, but thats all good!
Cooler Master MasterLiquid 360L Core ARGB White - £95
New Total - £514

Jan 1, 2024
Visit site
The choices all seem okay. I am not a fan of AIO coolers, but they certainly work.

I am not familiar with the memory you selected. I prefer Corsair and Gskill. However, what you chose should be okay.

You still need an exhaust fan (120mm), preferably a PWM fan.

Excellent, thanks for all your help @COLGeek! Now just the small (but exciting!) task of putting it all together!

Jan 5, 2024
Visit site
Hello,

I am at the beginning stages of purchasing my components for my first desktop PC build. I want to primarily use the PC for gaming to a high spec./standard (e.g., 4k gaming). Secondary I want the PC to have the power to edit 4k video. I have bought the PC case (noted below), and I plan to purchase the Intel i9 14th Gen 14900K CPU.

What I am really stuck on is identifying an appropriate ATX Motherboard (ideally white in colour, but not essential!). From what I have read/researched I believe I need a Z790 ATX motherboard to get the best out of my CPU, but I'd really appreciate some support in narrowing down some options, as I equally do not want to waste any money!

Thanks all,

Purchased:
Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh V2 Black ARGB E-ATX PC Case
A problem with this old form factor is that there is not enough space for both a 3-slot graphics card and for providing PCIe expansion slots. All the RTX cards take up 3 slots on the motherboard and if you want 10GB Ethernet for connecting to a fast NAS it will require adding a card.

Jun 13, 2021
Visit site
Building a gaming rig for 4k and video editing? Solid plan going for the i9 14900K. For motherboards, you can't go wrong with a Z790. ASUS and MSI both have some sleek designs, might find a white one if you're lucky. About video editing, check out movavi.com software. It's user-friendly and handles 4k editing smoothly. Good luck with your build!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts