Suggestions??

Aug 1, 2020
Visit site
Hey all, super new to PC gaming ! I have an HP Omen

i7, 16g ram, rtx 2060

currently looking for suggestions on what to play! I was going to get EAplay for the Mass Effect series and Dead Space series however, all I own now is The Division 2, Path of Exile, Apex Legends, and Eve. I’m looking for something open world/shooter, RPG related. I love games you can create a character in and progress the story with.
Any suggestions??

Reactions: Sugiana
Wanting it to be open world, RPG, shooter, and with character customization is a rare thing. The only other one I can think of that I really liked in that category is Fallout 4.

Of course the Mass Effect series also fits that description, and is very good, especially 2 and 3 and all their DLC. I really loved the Dead Space series too, but it's not at all an RPG and doesn't have character customization. If you're up for that though, Mad Max is also good, as well as Dying Light, and if you like destructible environments, Red Faction Guerrilla is good too. Another good open world shooter is Ghost Recon Wildlands. It has a massive beautiful game world with no load screens, and character customization, and some light but not full on RPG features.

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
Yeah, Mass Effect (though I wouldn't call it open world) fits extremely well. It should be getting a re-release of all three games plus DLC in about two months.

You don't get to create the character but has open world shooting:

I think you get to make your character in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but it's been a long time

If you liked EVE, you might like the X series. Here's the latest:

Fallout 3: New Vegas is kinda old but it fits the bill.

Elex fits, too, assuming you build a character that's into shooting. Expect to do lots of running away at the start.

Oh, and Outer Worlds! Not as difficult as Elex, from what I hear.

Aug 1, 2020
Visit site
Wanting it to be open world, RPG, shooter, and with character customization is a rare thing. The only other one I can think of that I really liked in that category is Fallout 4.

Of course the Mass Effect series also fits that description, and is very good, especially 2 and 3 and all their DLC. I really loved the Dead Space series too, but it's not at all an RPG and doesn't have character customization. If you're up for that though, Mad Max is also good, as well as Dying Light, and if you like destructible environments, Red Faction Guerrilla is good too. Another good open world shooter is Ghost Recon Wildlands. It has a massive beautiful game world with no load screens, and character customization, and some light but not full on RPG features.
ive played all of those on console, except for mass effect! is it dumb to skip the first one and jump into 2,3, or andromeda?

Aug 1, 2020
Visit site
Yeah, Mass Effect (though I wouldn't call it open world) fits extremely well. It should be getting a re-release of all three games plus DLC in about two months.

You don't get to create the character but has open world shooting:

I think you get to make your character in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but it's been a long time

If you liked EVE, you might like the X series. Here's the latest:

Fallout 3: New Vegas is kinda old but it fits the bill.

Elex fits, too, assuming you build a character that's into shooting. Expect to do lots of running away at the start.

Oh, and Outer Worlds! Not as difficult as Elex, from what I hear.
This is awesome thank you!!

Reactions: Zloth
The Far Cry series don't let you create your own character, but they are open world shooters with RPG elements (except for Primal).

Whaaaaaat? How have I not heard about this? This is going to be the perfect time to introduce my wife to one of my favourite games of all time!

Well, as soon as it's on sale that is.

Reactions: Sugiana and Sarafan

Sarafan

Community Contributor
ive played all of those on console, except for mass effect! is it dumb to skip the first one and jump into 2,3, or andromeda?

As Zloth mentioned, you should wait for the remasters that are coming soon. If you want to play Mass Effect 2 and 3, it's wise to play the first one as well. They're named "trilogy" not without a purpose. You can also try Andromeda without playing the original trilogy, but it's a worse game in overall and there are some references, which you'll understand only if you played the trilogy.

Reactions: Sugiana and mainer
I see that you own Path of Exile, but have you tried Grim Dawn yet? It's similar to POE, and gives you many ways to develop your own character.

The Mass Effect 1-3 Trilogy is a classic, but if you don't want to mod it to update the graphics, I'd say follow Zloth's advice and wait for the remastered version, supposedly due in March.

I also recommend, as mentioned above, Elex. Open world, great gameplay and customization, but can be a bit difficult at the beginning.

Mass Effect Andromeda has an open world, good character customization, and absolutely great combat. It has it's issues when compared to the previous ME games, but it's highly underrated and fun to play. It's also on EA Play if you're into that.

You might also consider the Deus Ex games, the more recent ones being Human Revolution and Mankind Divided:

They're not really open world, but they are above average RPGish type shooters.

As far as Outer Worlds goes, I just completed it yesterday, and was a bit disappointed. Not a bad game by any means, but not open world, companions are a bit shallow, and the combat too easy. The story is okay, but a bit short in length and scope. Not worth full price. Wait for a sale. And get the DLC Peril of Gorgon, as it is far better than the base game.

Reactions: Sugiana and Pifanjr

Zloth

Community Contributor
Whaaaaaat? How have I not heard about this? This is going to be the perfect time to introduce my wife to one of my favourite games of all time!
Feast upon the news: https://www.ea.com/games/mass-effect
As far as Outer Worlds goes, I just completed it yesterday, and was a bit disappointed. Not a bad game by any means, but not open world, companions are a bit shallow, and the combat too easy. The story is okay, but a bit short in length and scope. Not worth full price. Wait for a sale. And get the DLC Peril of Gorgon, as it is far better than the base game.
Half off on Steam right now. (Doesn't exist on GOG yet.)

• Love
Reactions: Sugiana and Pifanjr
The Far Cry series don't let you create your own character, but they are open world shooters with RPG elements (except for Primal)
FC5 & New Dawn do have some character customization. You can pick male or female and their appearance & clothes.
New Dawn also has base upgrading and weapon leveling—you won't do well taking on Level 2 opposition with Level 1 weapons. Good open world shooters, light on the RPG.

Primal has RPG elements too, but isn't a shooter—it's 10,000 BC so it's clubs, spears, bows and bee bombs! There's no character customization apart from the usual FC skill trees, but there is base upgrading.

Reactions: Pifanjr
FC5 & New Dawn do have some character customization. You can pick male or female and their appearance & clothes.
New Dawn also has base upgrading and weapon leveling—you won't do well taking on Level 2 opposition with Level 1 weapons. Good open world shooters, light on the RPG.

Primal has RPG elements too, but isn't a shooter—it's 10,000 BC so it's clubs, spears, bows and bee bombs! There's no character customization apart from the usual FC skill trees, but there is base upgrading.

I quit the series at Far Cry 4 because I was experiencing micro stutters. Perhaps I'll pick it up again if it's on sale now that I have a new computer, I did really like 2 and 3.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Mass Effect Andromeda has an open world, good character customization, and absolutely great combat. It has it's issues when compared to the previous ME games, but it's highly underrated and fun to play. It's also on EA Play if you're into that.

get Mass effect andromeda. Both ME:A and Dragon age inquisition had a much more open world to them. IMO both are fantastic games. The game play in ME:A to me is the best of the bunch, the story is basically where most people differ. ME:A does limit powers to 3 and some folks didn't like that, but the cool jumpjet, and awesome vehicle to me more than makes up for that. You also have profiles, so you can swap those 3 powers when ever you like. It's kinda a neat system.

I'm currently playing Mass Effect Andromeda along with a few other games and I can confirm that the game was criticized a little too hard. It has some problems though. My biggest issue is that weapons (and combat in overall) don't feel strong enough. Yes, they deplete enemy health bars quite quickly, but this is not the case. What I mean is that you don't feel this power. They're mostly something like "pew, pew", a feeling like you're shooting with toys. Anthem has a quite similar problem. Another problem are the MMO-like side quests. I know it's hard to fill an open world space with interesting content, but collectible quests are very boring and just don't feel right. Of course there are also some good side quests as well, which improve the impression of this part of the game.

Reactions: Pifanjr and mainer
I'm currently playing Mass Effect Andromeda along with a few other games and I can confirm that the game was criticized a little too hard. It has some problems though. My biggest issue is that weapons (and combat in overall) don't feel strong enough.

I just started re-playing ME:A on Saturday after having finished Outer Worlds. I felt the need to play an RPG that had better companions and combat, as I felt disappointed in the way Obsisian handled those aspects in OW. Since I'd already re-played ME1-3 and DA1-3 last year, I thought I'd give ME:A another shot.

It won't ever achieve "greatness" status, especially compared to ME1-3 as a whole, but as you said, it's really under rated but it has some issues when compared to the original trilogy. I really enjoy the combat and exploration. Too bad they never did a DLC with the Quarian Ark, that whole scenario was set up the in game, but they just dropped the game because of poor ratings and response, and that's a shame.

Reactions: Pifanjr and Sarafan

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I just started re-playing ME:A on Saturday after having finished Outer Worlds. I felt the need to play an RPG that had better companions and combat, as I felt disappointed in the way Obsisian handled those aspects in OW. Since I'd already re-played ME1-3 and DA1-3 last year, I thought I'd give ME:A another shot.

Yes, I agree that the companions are better written than in The Outer Worlds, but I'll still have problems remembering them after I finish playing (except for Peebee perhaps). The last time I played Mass Effect 1 was around 12 years ago, but I still remember most of the companions from that game. This is probably due to the fact that the series was fresh back then and everything we saw was for the first time. The original Krogan for me will still be Wrex, not Drack. :)

It won't ever achieve "greatness" status, especially compared to ME1-3 as a whole, but as you said, it's really under rated but it has some issues when compared to the original trilogy. I really enjoy the combat and exploration. Too bad they never did a DLC with the Quarian Ark, that whole scenario was set up the in game, but they just dropped the game because of poor ratings and response, and that's a shame.

The game is a solid experience, which is a lot in the gaming world, but I guess everyone expected something more. :)

Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr

Sarafan

Community Contributor
If you don't like collection quests, don't do um. It's kinda funny how i always see collection quests frowned down on, but at the same time i never see any complaints about go here and kill this person.

Killing quests can also be annoying if there's little to non story behind them. But I agree that in Andromeda most of the collection quests have a quite solid background. They're better than in Dragon Age: Inquisition.

As for the weapons in ME:A, the game does scale so that could be part of it, but there are some very powerful weapons. If you want things to die in 1 or 2 hits you need to use a shotgun or a sniper rifle, and only some of them are powerful,. The others are more DPS/assault style.

What I meant was not the exact damage that weapons do, but rather feeling of shooting. If done right the weapons feel powerful even if enemies are quite resistant. This was done properly in CP2077, where some enemies had a huge resistance to damage, but the weapons felt powerful nonetheless. It's quite hard to design this effect and Andromeda (along with Anthem) lacks it. But this doesn't mean the shooting isn't fun in this game. It's still quite ok. It just doesn't go above average.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
i dunno, how does one shoting an enemy not feel like you have a high powered weapon? Drop someones shields and blast um in the face with your Shotgun at melee.. Or popping them from a ledge under cover. 4-5 shots, 4-5 kills.

It's a little hard to explain. Maybe the game needed some staggering effect on enemies when shooting them? This would make the guns feel like they have more of a kick. Anyway the main point is that the combat isn't satisfying enough for me. It's fine, but I expect a little more.

TRENDING THREADS