Suggestion

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
The sidebar should be in a fixed position. Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing to be gained from having the sidebar scroll down with the rest of the forums.

Perhaps add an icon to the navbar that takes you to the home page (forums). I keep accidentally clicking on the PC Gamer icon that links to the site.

Can you share a screenshot of what you see? The panel to the left doesn't move when you scroll down also clicking on Home on that panel takes your to parent site.
Edit:
About the second part, if you click on Forums, it takes you to main page with all forum categories.

JSimenhoff

Community Manager
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
The sidebar should be in a fixed position. Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing to be gained from having the sidebar scroll down with the rest of the forums.
Are you talking about the left or right sidebar? Or both? Or perhaps you are on mobile? Both sidebars are fixed for me, in fact the left side bar has a separate scroll. I've attached a video captured from my desktop. Does your sidebar behave differently?
In any case, check out your account preferences. There are quite a few options there to personalize your style and experience. Follow the link provided, or click on your username in the upper right hand corner:
EAxcYYN.png

Perhaps add an icon to the navbar that takes you to the home page (forums). I keep accidentally clicking on the PC Gamer icon that links to the site.
This is a great suggestion! We love that we're your new home :) That said, we don't want to completely sever you from the editorial site. The PC Gamer and home links are there so you can easily navigate back to the editorial site. We do have a quick link for the forums on the left side bar (called forums). You can also navigate using the links below the thread title:

5ieLWr8.png

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
Are you talking about the left or right sidebar? Or both? Or perhaps you are on mobile? Both sidebars are fixed for me, in fact the left side bar has a separate scroll. I've attached a video captured from my desktop. Does your sidebar behave differently?

The left one, sorry. I meant fixed as in relative to the user's view, it behaves exactly as you've shown me. In case that's still confusing, my suggestion was that it should stay fixed just like Twitter's left sidebar that doesn't scroll down. Although, I hadn't noticed it has its own scrollbar.

This is a great suggestion! We love that we're your new home :) That said, we don't want to completely sever you from the editorial site. The PC Gamer and home links are there so you can easily navigate back to the editorial site. We do have a quick link for the forums on the left side bar (called forums). You can also navigate using the links below the thread title:

Of course, maybe there could be a smaller icon linking to the forums somewhere on the navbar, there's plenty of space. I know of the link on the left sidebar, that's why I suggested it should be fixed. It's a lot more convenient to be able to jump to the main page or any of the links from the sidebar at all times, as opposed to having to scroll up to see the sidebar.

Reactions: Lutfij

JSimenhoff

Community Manager
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
That's exactly what I'm saying. I don't know how I managed to make this so confusing, haha.
Ah! I definitely misunderstood you there. So, this is actually a fairly contentious issue lol

Some users prefer to have the sidebar "stickied" (this is the software's nomenclature) and scroll as the user scrolls. Others have shown preference to a "fixed" sidebar, which remains "fixed" to its current location. Historically the "fixed" users have been in the majority, so it's going to remain fixed for the time being.

I'm going to see if we can create a solution that allows users to personalize this option. Right now we're in the "find bugs and squash them" phase of development, but this will be a nice feature to have in the future.

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
Ah! I definitely misunderstood you there. So, this is actually a fairly contentious issue lol

Some users prefer to have the sidebar "stickied" (this is the software's nomenclature) and scroll as the user scrolls. Others have shown preference to a "fixed" sidebar, which remains "fixed" to its current location. Historically the "fixed" users have been in the majority, so it's going to remain fixed for the time being.

I'm going to see if we can create a solution that allows users to personalize this option. Right now we're in the "find bugs and squash them" phase of development, but this will be a nice feature to have in the future.

Alright. Sounds good, thanks!

it would be nice if the left hand menu remembered if you collapsed the menus - see below

vamfrEh.jpg

as then it might reduce the size on screen and allow people to see more of it.

Currently when you refresh it opens all the menus under the arrows.

ON TH, it only reopens the forums menu on refresh.

having the option to allow it to float on screen in left panel is a nice idea :)

Last edited:
Reactions: PioneerRaptor
I can't see what that gif is meant to show? (it is 3am, I might be blind) . I have looked a few times now. I don't see a change?

I am talking about the left hand menu not showing all the submenus (For example, under "Forums") unless you click the drop down arrow. Here right now all the menus show everytime you open forum front page. It makes the menu longer than it needs to be.

JSimenhoff

Community Manager
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
I can't see what that gif is meant to show? (it is 3am, I might be blind) . I have looked a few times now. I don't see a change?

I am talking about the left hand menu not showing all the submenus (For example, under "Forums") unless you click the drop down arrow. Here right now all the menus show everytime you open forum front page. It makes the menu longer than it needs to be.
In the video I click the refresh button multiple times and the left hand submenus do not change.

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Nice thread, thanks all.
Xenforo is already head and shoulders above other forum software I've had to use in recent years.

Suggestions and asks are great; that there are limitations to what the current software and available man-hours (people-hours?) can accomplish. Josh is the grand arbiter of what is possible here!
:)

Reactions: JSimenhoff

TRENDING THREADS