Question stuttering in laptop

Apr 7, 2020
Visit site
Hi...i am playing on laptop ACER NITRO AN515-52
SPECS-i5 8300H,8GB RAM,1050ti
I feel like there is some amount on stuttering always(sometimes high sometimes less) in laptops as compared to other platforms on which i have played like xbox(my personal experience is gameplay is very stutterfree and smooth on consoles vs laptops)
my questions are
1:-do laptops always stutter?
2:-do desktops never stutter like consoles?
3:-do desktops perform better than laptops with same specs?
3:-are there any tips for making gaming stutter free on pc?
Please help.....thank you

Sarafan

Community Contributor
1:-do laptops always stutter?

It really depends on the laptop specs and games you're playing. Top laptops have enough power to run every game in full details in 60 fps, but they're very expensive.

2:-do desktops never stutter like consoles?

What do you mean by "desktops never stutter like consoles"? Consoles are usually capped at 30 fps (PS5 Pro and Xbox One X may run games above 30 fps). To have an ideally smooth experience you need at least 60 fps.

In general no. If you have a GTX 1060 in desktop and a dedicated GTX 1060 in laptop, the performance should be quite similar. The mobile graphics card can have a slightly lower clocks, but the difference is not significant. The situation is more complicated when it comes to CPUs however. It's hard to find the exact desktop equivalent of mobile processors. You have to compare not only models, but also number of cores, threads and of course clock rates.

3:-are there any tips for making gaming stutter free on pc?
Please help.....thank you

Make sure that your laptop isn't overheating. Also try to experiment with Vsync. Turning it off or on in game options can improve performance. I presume you have a 60 Hz screen in your laptop. You may encounter a noticeable stuttering if the frame rate goes above or below 60 fps. This is due to desynchronization between your screen refresh rate and the number of fps. Vsync usually helps with the stuttering because it caps fps at a constant 60. But you still may encounter visible stuttering when the fps falls below 60.

Reactions: ABHISHEKRKM
Apr 7, 2020
Visit site
It really depends on the laptop specs and games you're playing. Top laptops have enough power to run every game in full details in 60 fps, but they're very expensive.

What do you mean by "desktops never stutter like consoles"? Consoles are usually capped at 30 fps (PS5 Pro and Xbox One X may run games above 30 fps). To have an ideally smooth experience you need at least 60 fps.

In general no. If you have a GTX 1060 in desktop and a dedicated GTX 1060 in laptop, the performance should be quite similar. The mobile graphics card can have a slightly lower clocks, but the difference is not significant. The situation is more complicated when it comes to CPUs however. It's hard to find the exact desktop equivalent of mobile processors. You have to compare not only models, but also number of cores, threads and of course clock rates.

Make sure that your laptop isn't overheating. Also try to experiment with Vsync. Turning it off or on in game options can improve performance. I presume you have a 60 Hz screen in your laptop. You may encounter a noticeable stuttering if the frame rate goes above or below 60 fps. This is due to desynchronization between your screen refresh rate and the number of fps. Vsync usually helps with the stuttering because it caps fps at a constant 60. But you still may encounter visible stuttering when the fps falls below 60.
Thanks buddy

That's a trick question actually because almost no laptops have the same components as desktops. They (usually) have different CPUs, with different power limits and frequencies, and the GPUs are meaningfully slower (~e.g. 25% less powerful: https://benchmarks.ul.com/compare/best-gpus?redirected=true )
It will also vary laptop to laptop, as different models listing the same components can have different performance, depending on things like cooling, how it has been configured by the manufacturer, etc.

I feel like there is some amount on stuttering always(sometimes high sometimes less) in laptops as compared to other platforms on which i have played like xbox(my personal experience is gameplay is very stutterfree and smooth on consoles vs laptops)

+1 to the points about about checking temps etc

What exactly are you having by way of stutter?

What games are you getting stutter in, and on what settings? Doing what in those games?

Can you describe the experience? :)

Apr 7, 2020
Visit site
What games are you getting stutter in, and on what settings? Doing what in those games?
For example when i'm playing arkham knight or jedi fallen order and when i enter a new area or scene,suddenly the frame rate drops and then it normalizes after a few seconds if i stay at the same place and do nothing.....happens in any kind of settings whether low or high

Zoid

Community Contributor
For example when i'm playing arkham knight or jedi fallen order and when i enter a new area or scene,suddenly the frame rate drops and then it normalizes after a few seconds if i stay at the same place and do nothing.....happens in any kind of settings whether low or high
This isn't all that uncommon. What framerates are you getting exactly? If these framerate drops are happening upon loading into a new area, and if they don't change when you lower the graphics settings, then your GPU isn't to blame, but rather some combination of memory and CPU.

Monitor your CPU, memory, and storage usage while playing and see what kind of usage you're seeing. I suspect you're going to see your RAM usage very close to 100% when you see these framerate drops. What's happening is that when you enter a new area, the game is trying to load a bunch of new stuff into RAM at once (textures, models, etc.). If you don't have enough memory to cover it all, your computer will start "paging" back and forth between your RAM and your storage disk (I'm assuming a 256GB SSD?) so that it can find all the data it needs. This can cause framerate drops like you're experiencing.

But that's just a hunch, check your utilization and then let us know what you find :)

i had problems with arkham knight i had a gtx 1070 32gm ram i7 chip and i had poor stuttering performance with the game. i realized it was actually the virtual memory/paging settings on the system. Try looking here:

Apr 7, 2020
Visit site
This isn't all that uncommon. What framerates are you getting exactly? If these framerate drops are happening upon loading into a new area, and if they don't change when you lower the graphics settings, then your GPU isn't to blame, but rather some combination of memory and CPU.

Monitor your CPU, memory, and storage usage while playing and see what kind of usage you're seeing. I suspect you're going to see your RAM usage very close to 100% when you see these framerate drops. What's happening is that when you enter a new area, the game is trying to load a bunch of new stuff into RAM at once (textures, models, etc.). If you don't have enough memory to cover it all, your computer will start "paging" back and forth between your RAM and your storage disk (I'm assuming a 256GB SSD?) so that it can find all the data it needs. This can cause framerate drops like you're experiencing.

But that's just a hunch, check your utilization and then let us know what you find
almost 10-20 frames at that particular time...otherwise 40-60fps...yes this still happens even when i lower the settings.....i dont have ssd,just hdd .....thanks bro

Apr 7, 2020
Visit site
i had problems with arkham knight i had a gtx 1070 32gm ram i7 chip and i had poor stuttering performance with the game. i realized it was actually the virtual memory/paging settings on the system. Try looking here:

i followed the steps and now my currently allocated virtual memory is 9216....can i increase it further manually by selecting the option 'custom size' for better results?

i followed the steps and now my currently allocated virtual memory is 9216....can i increase it further manually by selecting the option 'custom size' for better results?

Certainly. its all trial and error. The recommended is 1.5 of your ram, other people say that if you have lots of ram, you might as well turn it off. Me? I have 32GB ram and i set it at 16000. For some reason. I can't remember why. but again, depends on your laptop size. i have a 1TB NVMe SSD drive.

TRENDING THREADS