Strategies with unit trees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2020
Visit site
Hi, people.

Can you recommend me some of the strategies, that include promoting your units to other types of units. I'm interested in strategies with various unit trees.
Examples, to use as references: Disciples 2, Battle for Wesnoth, Fantasy General 2, Mount and Blade.
Don't recommend Heroes of Might and Magic.
Thnx.

Reactions: Frankiespa

Zloth

Community Contributor
Well, the first would be checkers where your unit gains extra movement abilities if it gets to the opposite row. ;)

Later Civilization games (I haven't played much of 6 but I know 5 has it) let you pick out skills for units as they gain experience. Those skills can give them pretty different strengths that other units.

Would equipping units with different weapons/armor count as promoting?

Reactions: muhammad hisbulloh

Zloth

Community Contributor
I was thinking of Endless Legends, mainly. Stardock's Fallen Enchantress has a similar system. Basically, as your research improves, you can outfit them with better and better weapons. Quite a few 4X games let you upgrade units instead of just replacing them with new ones. It isn't based on the unit itself having a lot of experience, though, it's based on what you've found and researched.

I'm not sure what's motivating you so it's hard to guess at games that aren't perfectly aligned with what you're asking. I haven't seen many games where attack dogs will turn into hell hounds if they fight enough, or an army of musketeers turning into riflemen via promotion.

Reactions: muhammad hisbulloh
Later Civilization games … let you pick out skills for units as they gain experience.
an army of musketeers turning into riflemen via promotion
The Civ games from 4 on have both of those characteristics. It's a standard strategy if you have a mid-game unique unit to level up early game units which can be promoted to your UU, and then go on the warpath.

Status
Not open for further replies.