Question Strangely Colored After-image With a New Monitor

Jul 8, 2023
Visit site
I've tried out 2 new 27'' curved monitors in the last week, and in both I noticed a strange effect with the colors during motion There would be some type of afterimage but the colors were distorted. Brown would become a bit reddish or sometimes green, depending on the shade. Black becomes purple.

It's visible in most places, but I noticed it the most in a few of my games. Moving around at all would cause the colors to distort in quickly-changing areas, but would return to normal when the image stopped moving. This issue was not present in either my laptop or my all-in-one desktop. Is there a setting I need to change in the monitor, or is it just this type of monitor that has this issue?

I've already tried increasing the refresh rate of the monitor and that made no difference whatsoever. However, there was a setting in the monitor's menu called "Response Time", and the lower that was, the less the colors would distort. I could never get them to fully go away.
I should also note that the cable between the laptop and the monitor is not the issue, as I tested it with another computer and cable and it had the same problem.

An example of what I'm seeing. Notice how the black on the left of the screen leaves behind a brief purple after-image.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I've tried out 2 new 27'' curved monitors in the last week, and in both I noticed a strange effect with the colors during motion There would be some type of afterimage but the colors were distorted. Brown would become a bit reddish or sometimes green, depending on the shade. Black becomes purple.

It's visible in most places, but I noticed it the most in a few of my games. Moving around at all would cause the colors to distort in quickly-changing areas, but would return to normal when the image stopped moving. This issue was not present in either my laptop or my all-in-one desktop. Is there a setting I need to change in the monitor, or is it just this type of monitor that has this issue?

I've already tried increasing the refresh rate of the monitor and that made no difference whatsoever. However, there was a setting in the monitor's menu called "Response Time", and the lower that was, the less the colors would distort. I could never get them to fully go away.
I should also note that the cable between the laptop and the monitor is not the issue, as I tested it with another computer and cable and it had the same problem.

An example of what I'm seeing. Notice how the black on the left of the screen leaves behind a brief purple after-image.
What exact models of monitor?

HP V27cG5 1920x1080 60Hz
Sceptre C275W-1920RN 1920x1080 75Hz <-- The distortion on this one was much more noticeable, though I don't have it anymore.
Sorry I forgot about this thread. Sounds from what you say that the monitors in question might not have the fastest response times for gaming, that causes this kind of visual artifacting. The fact that you can lessen it by increasing the settings seems to confirm it. A more gaming oriented monitor might well solve the problem.

Reactions: Brian Boru and Alm

TRENDING THREADS