Stormworks

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
I'm a little surprised there isn't any mention of this on the forums. Is anyone else playing this game? PC Gamer wrote a blurb about it last March but it just popped on my radar again this weekend during a Steam sale and I was curious enough to give it a shot. The search and rescue stuff seems like it would be best done with teammates, but you can pull it off solo.

The Steam workshop for this game is INTENSE. Some of the stuff people have made is just mind boggling. Approaching the systems in this game is certainly not for the faint of heart. It's not really like you can just flick an "on " button for most of these creations. But when you download a helicopter from the workshop, power on all the systems and get the rotors spinning up, you'll undoubtedly grin.

The reviews for the game are mixed with good reason. Most people don't want to sit down and figure out how to build an engine to get their vehicle moving around. I can sympathize with that. I haven't made a moving vehicle yet. I did make a diesel generator, but it is basic compared to some of the ones on the workshop.

I think that is where the real fun is with the game. Learning the systems and then using the knowledge of how they work to design something. You can start by using the "tutorial" to learn the bare basics and then continue learning from mods. There is a Youtube channel by MrNJersey that is really helpful.

Some of the caveats of the game engine are things like the environment being mostly static except for weather and some AI vehicles. You can go carving a side out of a mountain. And the flight model is very basic, it doesn't have things like air resistance or lift. The game was more created for building ships but many different vehicles can be made.

TRENDING THREADS