Steam Summer Sale 2023

McStabStab

Community Contributor
  • What are you eyein' for buyin'?
  • Bought anything yet?
  • Anything you're not buying because it's not on sale or on sale for a lower price than you expected?
  • Need any advice on a game you're looking to buy?

I'll start:
I'm eyeing Sons of the Forest and System Shock. I have not purchased anything yet. I am holding off on Resident Evil 4 and Aliens: Dark Descent because they're still full price, and God of War and Returnal will have to wait for a deeper discount. The only advice I'm seeking is: Is Detroit: Become Human worth a $20 price tag? Who here has played it? Enjoyed it?

I'm considering buying The Silence & The Fury, the Beastmen (and Lizardmen) DLC for Total War: Warhammer 2. I was recommended to try the Beastmen when I mentioned I like factions that play well without having to build an empire, as I find that the empire management becomes very tedious the bigger my empire is.

I'm just not sure if I can justify spending money on a game when I could also just pick another game out of my expansive backlog.

I'll have to give my wishlist a good look. The steam summer sale is my 2nd favorite of the year behind the winter sale, so I'll probably pick up a few indies and cheap older games. Off the top of my head: I've been considering Yakuza: Like a Dragon the past few sales, so perhaps I'll pull the trigger on that. Similarly, Mafia: Definitive Edition has been on my wishlist awhile and I know I'm going to pick it up eventually.

I'm picking up a couple of casuals:
Jewel Match Atlantis Solitaire 2 - Collector's Edition for GF, and
Storm Tale 2 a Match 3, for both of us—I recently finished Storm Tale 1 and enjoyed the limited moves mode.

I'm tempted by a few others:

The Royal Game of Ur 3D, but I'll leave it for now since I have the 2D version of this ~5000yo board game. Only reason to want the 3D is it's set in the British Museum room where one of the 5 known game boards are kept, and there's narration by the archaeologist who deciphered the rules.

Northgard, but will leave it this time.

HUMANKIND is tempting at first glance at 80% off, but DLCs are not included, so I'll pass.

Soren Johnson must be a Patient Seller—33% off is best discount for Old World so far, so still too expensive with DLCs included.

I'm just not sure if I can justify spending money on a game when I could also just pick another game out of my expansive backlog.
Exactly, same here. Only pulling trigger on very cheap games I'll definitely play right/soon after buying.

The steam summer sale is my 2nd favorite of the year behind the winter sale

What makes the winter sale better than the summer sale?

I'm picking up a couple of casuals:
Jewel Match Atlantis Solitaire 2 - Collector's Edition for GF, and
Storm Tale 2 a Match 3, for both of us—I recently finished Storm Tale 1 and enjoyed the limited moves mode.

One of the phone games I played was a competitive match-3, where you alternate with the AI to make matches on the same board. It was a pretty interesting way to play, have you ever tried something like that?

No, never heard of that mechanic.

I looked it up, the app is called Gunspell. It's free to try out, but designed to get you to spend money eventually to get better gear. I got to level 6 before giving up.

It's also from the time where apps would have you advertise their game on Facebook to get in-game rewards, which honestly was slightly nostalgic.

There's also a Gunspell 2 that focuses on multiplayer, though the reviews seem to indicate it might take a bit to find a match.

nothing stands out as serious deals for me atm. Sure hades for 10.99 is nice but i can wait. The Master chief collection for 7.49 is a fantastic deal. Only problem was that i got the deal only a couple of weeks ago during the MS anniversary thing. So no good there.

Cross code collection for 7.17 is pretty good, but i think i can wait a bit before getting it. I'm sure it will be on offer in winter or dare i say next year?

Underail+ expediation for 7.66 is another is nice, but again, no rush to get it.

other then that? Nope, nothing that has attracted me to buy.

The only game that I'm positive I'll purchase is the System Shock Remate @ 20% off, and considering it only came out a month ago, that's a pretty good discount. I'm just waiting until I finish the Palace of Ice DLC for Solasta (which should be in the next day or two) before I buy it.

Just going by my Steam Wish List, the only other games that I'm currently considering, and those probably marginally, as I'll be pre-ordering Starfield August:

Nordic Warriors. An Indie RTS that's very similar to the old Myth RTS games from Bungie years ago. I don't know how many of you are old enough to have played those games, but they were great fun, especially with the destructive environments which was rather new back then. 70% off @ $5.99.

Phantom Doctrine. Part TBS and RPG, spy thriller. 90% off @ $3.99

Ditto… with everything getting more expensive and my paycheck not compensating for inflation I think I should really stick to my backlog and resist temptation to waste money. It sure is a good time to start up the old annual Half Life 2 marathon again.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I'm considering Dark Souls Remastered. I only finished the first version of the game and don't own the remaster. It wasn't on sale for two years or so (other Dark Souls games too). It's overpriced, but I wouldn't count for a better discount in the near future. I'm also considering Metal: Hellsinger which currently has the lowest price in history.

Oct 19, 2022
Visit site
Throwing in that you can use https://gg.deals/deals/historical-lows/ to see which game might be worth grabbing for the best historical low discount on Steam or other platforms. I don't think it covers all sites possible, but you'll get at least GoG, Steam & Epic Games for safe purchases.
Big fan of that site, it shows official and key shops separately and links Steam, Humble and GOG wishlists. Use it at least weekly to check in on deals on my wishlists.

Ended-up with a couple, but I'm mostly trying to go through my library and pick games I already own and want to play. Did pick up

Neo Cab, as it's been on my wishlist for ages now and I'm starting to feel a bit more in the mood for a visual novel.

Also picked-up Paradise Killer because it's supposed to be pretty good, looks fun enough and I think it'll run on my low-end Surface Go.

Lastly, Atari 50, I've been eyeballing it for awhile and it this looks to be the cheapest it's been. Am curious to play it as my next game, but currently working my way through some other stuff first.

Throwing in that you can use https://gg.deals/deals/historical-lows/ to see which game might be worth grabbing for the best historical low discount on Steam or other platforms. I don't think it covers all sites possible, but you'll get at least GoG, Steam & Epic Games for safe purchases.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/32470/Cyberpunk_2077__Phantom_Liberty_Bundle/ is one of the more interesting ones for me.

Now thats more like it. I use isthereanydeals.com and yeah that tells me the cheapest price but seeing it like that makes it more interesting. Arcade paradise for 7.79 is pretty good , the pedestrian puzzle game peaks my interest a bit more.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I popped into the sale, hit the queue, and the first game to come up was:
Where the Abyss did this come from!? A restaurant management / subnautica hybrid!? And how is the queue actually making good suggestions!?

I popped into the sale, hit the queue, and the first game to come up was:
Where the Abyss did this come from!? A restaurant management / subnautica hybrid!? And how is the queue actually making good suggestions!?

It's apparently very good.

I bought:

Cruelty Squad
Guardians of the Galaxy
Resident Evil VIII

Really would like some more well made single player 3D campaigns, hopefully these work as I've heard good things about all.

Would like a bigger reduction on Returnal, System Shock remake, Resident Evil 4 remake some point in the future, theyre all fairly new so not surprised they aren't cheaper.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
I haven't spent much on the Steam Summer Sale, but I did preorder Cities Skylines 2, the Ultimate Edition.

I don't usually preorder games, but this is the exception. Game is looking sweet, and will only look better.
If there was a game I was to preorder it would be Cities: Skylines 2, but I've been bitten all too recently by Cyberpunk and BF 2042 (yes I know, I deserved it). I thought for sure Kerbal Space Program 2 would be a success and it has proven to be the opposite, so despite Colossal Order's track record, I may stay on the sidelines until the reviews roll in.

If there was a game I was to preorder it would be Cities: Skylines 2, but I've been bitten all too recently by Cyberpunk and BF 2042 (yes I know, I deserved it). I thought for sure Kerbal Space Program 2 would be a success and it has proven to be the opposite, so despite Colossal Order's track record, I may stay on the sidelines until the reviews roll in.
KSP2 is still early access though. Yeah, I bought Cyberpunk on day one. It wasn't really the bugs that killed it for me. I came to realization that I am not just cut for games in the first person. I think I would have loved it in third person.

Either way, buying it at release, or preordering it is the same thing in my opinion. I can still get a refund if I don't like it.

June is always a good month financially for me. Low electrical bills, extra salary, so there is that too. October, not so much. I would have spent this on useless stuff anyway😂

TRENDING THREADS