Steam Link on Smart TV ???

Hello

I have a Sony Bravia Android Smart TV (X90H, X900H, X9000H) and using Steam Link on it with my 12th Gen Win 11 Pro PC.
I have 100mbps, normal speeds 68-85mbps at least if not up to 120mbps.
Ping 22-40 average.

But ping can be higher, and speed a bit lower with VPN.

A few questions...

What are the other alternative apps I can use on the Smart TV for PC games which are not Steam Keys? Eg for games on Epic, Origin, Ubisoft Connect, Xbox, Ea Play, Gog (am I missing any other big ones?)

The games on my PC are set to 1440p as that is my Monitor Resolution

Does Steam Link automatically up the Resolution to 4K (my TV's native Resolution)?
If not - how does that work and what should I do?

I use NordVPN on all devices (software app).... do I need to turn them off on both PC and TV - would it really matter ?

I may start using NordVPN on the Router instead (I will disable all NordVPN software apps)...

Will it still work still like that ?
And if it does work - will it be too laggy then?

Any other do's and don'ts you can advise me on as I've not really used this stuff before?

Thank you for your help

MaddMann

A nerd that found his place
Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Personally I have never like the steam link. It was underpowered and was not supported very long. You can get the Nvidia Shield though. I have been using them for years, you can designate any game from any platform to play via nvidia shadow play no matter the launcher. It works fantastically, but I high suggest making sure you are wired, not wireless.

The device is, in my opinion, the best gaming oriented media box for tv. Only thing that would make it better is if microsoft games pass would work directly on it, vs streaming it, but that is not much of a setback.

I do not suggest buying their super overpriced controller though, an Xbox or PlayStation controller works just fine with it.

MaddMann

A nerd that found his place
Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion - but I'm only interested in using my Smart TV

Cheers
Ok, I guess I was confused by the steam link being used, it doesn't do 4k at all, it's not nearly powerful enough. It's why I suggested the nvidia shield. If you are just looking for apps, GeForce now, or you can try Google stadia, depending on the VPN, it might not work. It will increase your ping as it will add hops to the path.

TRENDING THREADS