Steam Autumn Sale 2021

I haven't bought anything or been tempted. There are good games there but I really need to save at the moment.

Saying that, I bought the annual Humble Bundle release of last year's Corel products for a combined £22. It's a really good deal.

On the fence about Death Stranding...

What you have to ask yourself is, how much do I love cutscenes? I'm sure it calms down after awhile, but I had to quit after about an hour or so when it seemed like practically the whole thing was a series of cutscenes...and I still had no clue what was going on. Not having a clue is nothing surprising for me, but I've heard many other people say that they didn't understand the story at all, so basically you are watching hours of pointless cutscenes.

As for the sale, I've got a couple of Christmas gifts for gamers I need to check for sales on, but nothing for me.

Last edited:
What you have to ask yourself is, how much do I love cutscenes? I'm sure it calms down after awhile, but I had to quit after about an hour or so when it seemed like practically the whole thing was a series of cutscenes...and I still had no clue what was going on. Not having a clue is nothing surprising for me, but I've heard many other people say that they didn't understand the story at all, so basically you are watching hours of pointless cutscenes.

I think the hours of cutscenes in general is the Kojima part I'm not that interested in, and I hear its gets even worse in the last third of the game. The running around in the middle looks fun though and it's quite pretty. Maybe I'll wait and see if it comes down to 10 anytime.

Wasteland is only €11.99, bargain. Surprised to see it that low.
That was a shock to me to see that huge price cut ($13.19 USD). It's been on my wishlist since before it released, so I'll probably end up getting that. Weird, the base price when released was $59.99, then somewhere along the line that changed to $39.99 without any announcement.

I'm also on the fence about Death Stranding. I'm intrigued, and overall I'm a fan of well done cutscenes, but I'm just not sure about the actual gameplay.

I haven't delved too deeply into all the games on sale yet, but from my wishlist, a couple stand out as possible purchases:
The Bards Tale IV: Directors Cut, 75% off, $8.74 USD
Visually, it reminds me of the old Wizardry and Might & Magic games, which is a good thing. But I have concerns about the combat, which looks a bit weird, and character development feels like it lacks much depth. I could be wrong on both counts, but it's enough to give me pause.

Terminator: Resistance, 50% off, $19.99 USD
Not high on my list, and the discount is probably not deep enough, but I'm still intrigued. More of a linear shooter than an RPG, but looks to be a fun experience.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I just noticed something... the game queue is gone. Steam normally gives points in the sales for going through their queue of games they suspect you might like. This time, it isn't just being excluded from the push, it's flat out gone! I scrolled all the way down the page looking for it.

(Or was getting me to scroll down to look for it the whole intent? Those marketing folk can be a tricky lot.)

True story... So the only thing i had money for atm to buy was Destiny 2's anniversary pack for 25 bucks, not on sale since i play that with my clan i could only budget for that. So i buy it, then i had to grab my wife one when i get an email from the Fanaticals black friday sale for like 21 bucks. At least i saved on hers, not on steam lol.

Am thinking of picking up greedfall gold edition for 18. Anyone play that?

Hmmm... i've had my eye on greedfall for quite a while now. its cheaper on greenmangaming at £13

although why the gold edition is cheaper then the base game i have no idea.

Last edited:
Hmmm... i've had my eye on greedfall for quite some while now. its cheaper on greenmangaming at £13
It took me a little over 100 hrs to complete the main game, without any DLC, as I bought it when it first came out, and mostly I loved it. It's very much a story, companion, faction, and choices matter RPG; similar to the Dragon Age games in that respect. It looks open world, but it's not, and you'll hit invisible barriers at points where you think there shouldn't be any. I was a bit disappointed in that aspect at first, but it really didn't detract that much from the main story, which I really did love.

Visually, it reminded me a bit of Witcher 3 (though not open world). Character personalities and interactions are excellent, and there are frequent cut scenes, but most of those dialog choices that can radically affect how the story plays out.

Combat had a learning curve for me, and was difficult at first, especially with boss type enemies. The controls felt a bit awkward early on, especially when trying to control your companions. But I learned and adapted and was fine with it later in the game. But I wouldn't say it's a strength of the game; the strength is in the story, your companions, and the choices you make.
1qvzKqR.jpg

MrMEuko.jpg

why the gold edition is cheaper then the base game i have no idea
Not saying it's going on here, but there's an old sales trick…

I have a product A which is not selling well, so I need to increase sales. I create product B which is the same or a bit less than A—eg A is a bag of 100 cookies, B a bag of 90.
I then price B higher than A, and make sure they're placed side-by-side.

Customers see both, and snap up the 'deal' that is A. QED :devilish:

Don't mind me, just gonna shill for Brigador. Also, I think that game deserves the "Labor of Love" reward thanks to the Blood Anniversary (You can now drive the floating head of doom that's been unplayable for the longest time) and Grave to the Rave updates (Games can be suspended between missions!)

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama

Zloth

Community Contributor
I could give Labor of Love to X4:Foundations or to Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children. Both have been giving out lots of free fixes/updates for a long time. Two new features? HA!
I then price B higher than A, and make sure they're placed side-by-side.
Clearly the B cookies are higher quality because they cost more! I'm buying those!

I ended up buying Wasteland 3 for $13.19 usd, as it just seemed too good a deal to pass up since the original price was $59.99. I considered the 2 DLCs, but one had a "mixed rating" and the other a "mostly negative" rating, so I stayed away from those.

I looked at several others, even Death Stranding, but nothing really jumped out at me; besides, the Winter Sale is only a few weeks away.

No matter how much I chip away at my Steam backlog, it just seems to get bigger.

Strangely enough (or maybe not) I tend to buy games when they are not up on these types of sales. Not that you can't get some good deals, but seldom do I find the game I want to buy. So, I tend to buy a game here and there on more random sales. If I were to recommend a game I played recently it would be Forza Horizon 5. I would definitely not recommend buying it if you are not a car nut, rather use a free game pass for some months for your driving pleasures.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I ended up buying Wasteland 3 for $13.19 usd, as it just seemed too good a deal to pass up since the original price was $59.99. I considered the 2 DLCs, but one had a "mixed rating" and the other a "mostly negative" rating, so I stayed away from those.

No matter how much I chip away at my Steam backlog, it just seems to get bigger.

Wasteland 3 is a steal at that price, if anyone has any interest at all in isometric RPG's its worth a go.
Didnt get the DLC's either, they do sound bad.

I have a collection of games. Just think of them as non limited edition NFT's :p Although I dont have as many as some in total, I do enjoy skipping around between games sometimes depending on my mood. So its good to pick stuff up that I'm interested in when its at a good price so that I dont just buy it for full whack when I get an urge to play it.

Strangely enough (or maybe not) I tend to buy games when they are not up on these types of sales. Not that you can't get some good deals, but seldom do I find the game I want to buy. So, I tend to buy a game here and there on more random sales. If I were to recommend a game I played recently it would be Forza Horizon 5. I would definitely not recommend buying it if you are not a car nut, rather use a free game pass for some months for your driving pleasures.

I really used to like rally games, but its been a long while. Would you say Forza Horizon is a good series for someone who doesn't really care for cars but just wants to mess about, or is there something better for that purpose?

Reactions: mainer and Frindis
Good question @Kaamos_Llama. I don't really care that much about cars either, but I gather different ones and have some fun with them. I recently have been having fun drag racing, making huge jumps, drifting, and just overall driving around smashing into things. The Battle Royale in FH5 is also quite fun, even if it is a bit buggy still.

In that way, the game caters to both casual players and those who want to dabble with the tuning of the cars and climbing on the leaderboards. The game is basically for everyone, to the point of you being able to even have the AI drive the car for you.

Last edited:
Good question @Kaamos_Llama. I don't really care that much about cars either, but I gather different ones and have some fun with them. I recently have been having fun drag racing, making huge jumps, drifting, and just overall driving around smashing into things. The Battle Royale in FH5 is also quite fun, even if it is a bit buggy still.

In that way, the game caters to both casual players and those who want to dabble with the tuning of the cars and climbing on the leaderboards. The game is basically for everyone, to the point of you being able to even have the AI drive the car for you.

Its been so long since I played any kind of car game that I probably need to just pick something up and try it to see if it appeals. Sounds more like a sandbox than any kind of racing as I understand it!

Reactions: Frindis

TRENDING THREADS