Sound Problem With Temporary Card

Oct 1, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I hope somebody can help me here ... I was installing a fresh version of Windows 10 (my OS is on an SSD of its own, all my data is on different drives) when I ran into problems. I suspected it was a Graphics Card failure and in the end that turned out to be the case. My trusty AMD Radeon R9 270X has given up the ghost after about 7 or 8 years, I guess it could be worse !!!

So, I've found an old NVIDIA GEForce GTS 250 and plugged that in, and my PC is alive again, that's the good news.

I use a Samsung TV as my monitor and it's connected to the Graphics card via an HDMI cable, watching the (Smart) TV is fine, as ever, but I am getting no sound when I am using the PC. As far as I know, I haven't changed anything apart from the Graphics card although the RAM and all the USBs have been unplugged and replugged (is that a word ?). My Corsair headphones work when plugged in to USB and wirelessly, so I know the PC is putting out sound, but I cannot get any through the TV ...

All my Sound settings look ok, but something is obviously NOT ok !!!

Hardware is not my main thing, but I did read that an HDMI cable supplies both video and sound, so some questions ...

1) Is this a consequence of the temporary Graphics card not being strong enough / good enough to supply sound to the monitor as well as the picture ?

2) Could this temporary Graphics card, removed from an old PC 6 months or a year ago, be faulty ?

3) Could this be a problem with the HDMI cable ?

4) Troubleshooting tells me there are no problems, but obviously there are, where do I look next ?

5) Slightly different question, but possibly connected ... I play Forge of Empires and have never had a problem, but right now everything takes a long time, like 6, 7, 8 seconds or more compared to it previously being maybe 1 or 2 seconds, if not instant. There's no problem with the actual picture on the screen, just this delay ... would that be connected to the lesser card or do I have another problem ?!?!?

I don't have external speakers, though I realise that if I can find a pair and plug them in, that's another thing I need to test, but I'm just pretty sure that all I did originally was plug in the HDMI cable at both ends and it worked !!!

Any help much appreciated ... Thanks in advance ...

Reactions: Brian Boru
Oct 1, 2021
Visit site
Do you disable the headset—eg switch off the USB port, or pull out the USB cable—when you want to change to TV sound? Or how is the change supposed to happen?

Did you download the latest Nvidia drivers for it?
No, the headset is wireless via a USB dongle & that’s never been touched since I first plugged it in.
The change has always been done by clicking on my Sound Icon in the System Tray and then choosing whether I want to use Digital Audio S/PDIF, Speakers or the Headset … this has always worked but now only the headset works 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ok. If you have the latest Nvidia drivers, I don't have anything further to suggest, I'm afraid :(

I always find sound misbehaving to be a bit of a dark art, often takes me lots of futzing around to eventually get it working—without being too sure of what fixed it, or why. Just one of my blind spots, I guess.

Hopefully someone less blind will have something more useful to offer soon :)

TRENDING THREADS