PCG Article Sony may be working on its own PC game launcher

A reference to "PlayStation PC launcher" was found in the PC version of Marvel's Spider-Man.

PlayStation PC launcher is not a configuration of words I thought I'd ever see.

If true, I think this is good news in that it's a significant commitment on Sony's part and probably bodes well for the future of Playstation games on PC.

Now, whether you are happy with the prospect of another launcher or not may be a different story. Doesn't really bother me, and I know a lot of people use GOG or that other one.

But, yeah, I think that's good news.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
If true, I think this is good news in that it's a significant commitment on Sony's part and probably bodes well for the future of Playstation games on PC.

It's good because there are chances for more Playstation exclusives on PC. I have no doubts here. I'm not delighted with the fact that Sony games will probably disappear from Steam however. The number of launchers that I already have is horrific. You can say that one more won't make a difference and while that's generally true, it fragments the game library even more (at least until Galaxy receives an appropriate plugin ;) ).

Sony, but I thought they already had something on the PC
Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Death Stranding, Heavy rain, Days Gone, … plus another ~20 I can't recall. There are also Spidey games on the way, plus Final Fantasy XY.

a competitor to Game Pass. Isn't that what PS Now is?
Yes, in the same way that Linux is a competitor to MacOS.

Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Death Stranding, Heavy rain, Days Gone, … plus another ~20 I can't recall. There are also Spidey games on the way, plus Final Fantasy XY.
Well, I was talking about a game launcher, not the games. But it was pointed out that the only thing they have like that for the PC is PS Now, which is kind of different since it's a subscription.

Yes, in the same way that Linux is a competitor to MacOS.
Right. So why do people say Sony needs a competitor to Game Pass if they already have one?

Well... if it encourages more sony exclusives onto the PC i suppose i'm all for it. of course, we'll have to wait and see how it all pans out. Another launcher to add to my desktop and who knows what kind of pricing to expect. My last experience with the PS store was that you had to buy credit and you couldn't just buy stuff off the store without a credit card/paypal. Probably going to make us get a membership for multiplayer etc similar to the consoles. But on pc.

Reactions: Brian Boru