Question Slow computer

May 19, 2020
Visit site
So I RMAed my motherboard to MSI and they shipped me back a new one, after putting my gaming PC back together my vomputer was running abnormally slow and was running games at very low fps.
My specs are i7-9700k, gtx 970, 32 gb jipjaws ram
Edit: my pc is telling me that my cpu is overheating even though my cpu temps are 27 degrees celcius
Update: I figure it out my heatsink was not completely flush on the CPU and was really hot, I put washers on the back of the panel that holds the heat sink and that fixed it

Last edited:
I'd reseat all your hardware (memory, graphics, make sur eyour 970 has the extra power cables attached if needed as poor performance can be due to low power). Also, boot into your motherboard settings and set everything to default and make sure it's recognizing all your hardware. I'd also reinstall all your motherboard drivers.

May 9, 2020
Visit site
Did you check your system performance in the task manager? Check whether your disk usage is high or CPU? If you CPU then Did you check the thermal paste in your cabinet? If not check it and replace it.

If disk usage is high..about to 100 or 90 then your storage disk or hard disk is going to corrupt soon.

May 19, 2020
Visit site
I'd reseat all your hardware (memory, graphics, make sur eyour 970 has the extra power cables attached if needed as poor performance can be due to low power). Also, boot into your motherboard settings and set everything to default and make sure it's recognizing all your hardware. I'd also reinstall all your motherboard drivers.

I went

Thanks after t
Did you check your system performance in the task manager? Check whether your disk usage is high or CPU? If you CPU then Did you check the thermal paste in your cabinet? If not check it and replace it.

If disk usage is high..about to 100 or 90 then your storage disk or hard disk is going to corrupt soon.

The highest usage of anything (whilem playing a graphically low intense game) is 18% and the thermal paste is brand new I put it on today after reviewing a new motherboard from my RMA

May 19, 2020
Visit site
I went

Thanks after t

The highest usage of anything (whilem playing a graphically low intense game) is 18% and the thermal paste is brand new I put it on today after reviewing a new motherboard from my RMA
Where are you running your games from? An SSD or an HDD? If you're running Windows from an HDD it will very noticable start slower. It also can affect game performance if you're running a game from an HDD instead of an SSD.
That's not an issue I run my games from a Samsung 970 evo

May 19, 2020
Visit site
Where are you running your games from? An SSD or an HDD? If you're running Windows from an HDD it will very noticable start slower. It also can affect game performance if you're running a game from an HDD instead of an SSD.
Can you try running some 3D app like game or benchmark in safe mode? I know lots of things won't work in this mode, but you could try and see if the slowness is there as well.
Still there

May 19, 2020
Visit site
What did you try?

I appreciate it is very frustrating but we need as much info as possible to try to work out what could be happening
As soon as I got my motherboard back from msi I put my computer back together the only change was that I added a mechanical drive when I started my pc it was running very slowly and telling me my cpu is overheating I went to icue and made sure my pump was working and turned my 2 of my 5 fans up to extreme at this point it's 27 celcius but whenever I go to my bios it's still telling me that my cpu is overheating. I got locked out of windows trying to go to safe mode to reinstall Mobo drivers and had to burn windows onto a flash drive to get back in. Other then that I've tried moving my ram around seeing if my gpu was under clocked trying another gpu and doing a clean install of nvidias newest drivers

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Just to be clear, I am pretty confident the temp that iCue shows is the temperature of the liquid which is 27 degrees Celsius, not the CPU.

Rn my icue says 27 degrees too, Ryzen Master for my CPU says 43. So my liquid is 27 degrees, CPU 43 degrees. But an overheating CPU on a liquid of 27 degrees seems weird. It could be that your watercooler is broken, but I'm not really confident on that. Do you have a stock cooler and have you tried using thatt one instead to see if that gives better temperatures?

May 19, 2020
Visit site
Just to be clear, I am pretty confident the temp that iCue shows is the temperature of the liquid which is 27 degrees Celsius, not the CPU.

Rn my icue says 27 degrees too, Ryzen Master for my CPU says 43. So my liquid is 27 degrees, CPU 43 degrees. But an overheating CPU on a liquid of 27 degrees seems weird. It could be that your watercooler is broken, but I'm not really confident on that. Do you have a stock cooler and have you tried using thatt one instead to see if that gives better temperatures?
I have Intel so no stock cooler but is there a program to tell the temp of the CPU directly cause I'm not sure but I think one side of my cooler is slightly raised and not flat on the CPU from the cords attached to the pump

May 19, 2020
Visit site
I think I found the problem my was always at the edge of overheating because my heatsink wasn't completely flush on the cpu, whenever I push the heatsink down the temps go way down.
Now the issue is that I can't get my heatsink to stay flush all of the cables are on one side and it creates alot of tension on that side

TRENDING THREADS