Skyrim lovers! Are you going to keep Skyrim SE, or will you buy the new Skyrim AE?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

What are you going to do when the Skyrim Anniversary Edition arrives?

• 1-Buy it! I want the new content and don't care that it overwrites Skyrim SE

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • 2-I play Skyrim, but I don't really mod it, so I'll take the free update.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • 3-I'm keeping my Skyrim SE installation, I love to mod it.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • 4-Skyrim? Never played it.

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
how to even take a complete disk image
I use Macrium Reflect…
…which is one of the most highly recommended backup and imaging apps—been using it for many years, highly recommended.

Here are the Quick Start instructions for making an image:

My C: drive has 170GB and it takes 30-35 minutes to make a verified image. So around 5-6GB per minute. You can halve the time by omitting verification, which is something you have to select—ie it's off by default.

You can continue to use your PC while it's imaging—altho I've never played a game during it, I let it run when I'm taking a break.

If you need more help, start a thread in System Building forum and I/we will pitch in :)

• Love
Reactions: mainer and Zloth
Skyrim DOES use the registry! It stores where the application is located there. And there's a little program to edit it, if you want.

Skyrim Registry Utility at Skyrim Nexus - Mods and Community (nexusmods.com)
Thanks great information, thanks @Zloth ! I had no idea that Skyrim made registry entries, and no idea that there was a mod for editing that. That's definitely something I'll keep in mind, especially if I buy the Skyrim AE on GOG (which is looking doubtful at this point).

I'm not sure how to even take a complete disk image.
I'm not sure either, as I've never done it. I do a lot of backups, small & large, but those probably(?) don't help with registry entries.

I use Macrium Reflect…
…which is one of the most highly recommended backup and imaging apps—been using it for many years, highly recommended.
If you need more help, start a thread in System Building forum and I/we will pitch in :)
This is also good information that I'll keep in mind. I've heard the term Disk Imaging before (I think you many have mentioned it once or twice:)), but never really investigated it before.

For you guys—and everyone else too, of course :)

Tempted as I was to get the newer edition, if it means cancelling all the good work that I'll experience from modders, they can forget it. While there is some Creation Club content I might've enjoyed, as I'm a sucker for official content over user made stuff, I am slowly but surely getting into the modding side of things.

Otherwise I would eventually get that update. I just think it's a bit much after all the other versions of the game. I had enough trouble with Oblivion having a GOTY and GOTY Deluxe edition. >.<

EDIT: As it turns out, the new quests that come with the Anniversary Editions come in the form of picking up someone's journal and carrying out their will. There have been comparisons to Morrowind which had minimal voice acting, but even so, the dialogue between player and NPC was still there, not a loredump to chase. I'm not overly impressed with that, to be honest.

Last edited:
Tempted as I was to get the newer edition, if it means cancelling all the good work that I'll experience from modders, they can forget it. While there is some Creation Club content I might've enjoyed,
That's pretty much my feeling on that "free update" for Skyrim SE. While mods may eventually be updated, or not, I don't really want to depend on that or loose the compatibility to use the mods I want. Some of the Creation Club content looked interesting, especially the Fishing Mod, it didn't justify the "upgrade".