Should we have a dedicated forum section for Mods & Modding?

Should we have a forum section for Mods & Modding?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • I don't really care one way or the other

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
I'm trying to gauge the interest in a potential Mods & Modding section from our members/moderators/PCG staff to see if others feel that such a topic is warranted. We've got sections on RPGs, Shooters, Strategy, Retro Gaming, and General Gaming, but nothing specific to modding, and the ability to "mod" our games is one of the things that makes gaming on a PC unique (I know there are modding capabilities on gaming consoles, but they're not nearly as extensive). Maybe there isn't enough interest, which is fine, so I've got a simple poll of "Yes or I don't care, or No".

The potential discussions could be anything mod related: specific modding tools like Reshade (Home (reshade.me), mod managers, large mod projects like Skywind (TESR Skywind - Home), PCG articles about mods/modding, or even a mod you made yourself. Some of my favorite articles in the PCG Magazine are in the Extra Life and Mod Spotlight sections.

So cast a vote and leave a comment, whatever your feelings may be.

I'm trying to gauge the interest in a potential Mods & Modding section from our members/moderators/PCG staff to see if others feel that such a topic is warranted. We've got sections on RPGs, Shooters, Strategy, Retro Gaming, and General Gaming, but nothing specific to modding, and the ability to "mod" our games is one of the things that makes gaming on a PC unique (I know there are modding capabilities on gaming consoles, but they're not nearly as extensive). Maybe there isn't enough interest, which is fine, so I've got a simple poll of "Yes or I don't care, or No".

The potential discussions could be anything mod related: specific modding tools like Reshade (Home (reshade.me), mod managers, large mod projects like Skywind (TESR Skywind - Home), PCG articles about mods/modding, or even a mod you made yourself. Some of my favorite articles in the PCG Magazine are in the Extra Life and Mod Spotlight sections.

So cast a vote and leave a comment, whatever your feelings may be.
I almost posted this exact thing last week when you were talking about possibly making a mod pack. I think a mod section would be great and probably have more activity than some other sections.

SHaines

Community Manager
Staff member
The good news is we can add subforums as we see fit, so if folks want to try out a section for modding, we can certainly do that. If it doesn't get much interest, we can fold it back into general gaming. If there are even a handful of people who would make use of it, we can certainly look into that next week.

OK, so, if I want to start a topic on Skywind, would I do it in the mods forum or the RPG forum?
good question.

I think it depends on usage. And demand...

What types of mods will be asked about? Any hardware ones or just games?

Say if majority were all rpg related we could make the mod forum just an off shoot of the RPG forum, instead of apart from it.

But if mods were for all sorts of games, it makes less sense to just have it under one area. Could perhaps have a mods sub forum under each area in the General gaming area (Shooters, RPG, Puzzle).

Having a mod section with them all under it would make it easier to search for but doesn't really answer your question. Don't really want duplications.

I can't do it myself but ideas are helpful :)

Last edited:
OK, so, if I want to start a topic on Skywind, would I do it in the mods forum or the RPG forum?

A forum makes sense for general use mods like Reshade or UUU, but for specific games, wouldn't it be better to put it wherever the specific game goes?
I don't know what Skywind is, but I was thinking of the mod forum as informational. If you are discussing the mod itself, then it would go into the forum. If you are just talking about play experiences while you happen to have a modded game, but you aren't specifically addressing the mods, then it would go to the regular forum. If the post has both, then just just pick one. We do that with other topics already, games that are shooters but have RPG elements, for instance.

for specific games, wouldn't it be better to put it wherever the specific game goes?
That's my feeling also. If I want to make threads about Far Cry and Civ mods, I'd put them in the Shooter and Strategy forums—cos that's where people interested in those genres will look.

You're probably best off visiting the sites that are dedicated to modding
My view too. For new info on above, I'll head to Nexus/ModDb or CivFanatics, and maybe have a peek in Workshop.

modding tools … mod managers, large mod projects … PCG articles about mods/modding, or even a mod you made yourself
That's the content I see as relevant for a separate forum, or sub-forum of General G. Not related to a specific game or franchise.

The good news is we can add subforums as we see fit, so if folks want to try out a section for modding, we can certainly do that. If it doesn't get much interest, we can fold it back into general gaming. If there are even a handful of people who would make use of it, we can certainly look into that next week.

This was my thought as well, there's no harm in making a subforum and see if it gets used. If not, just remove it again.

visiting the sites that are dedicated to modding, and thus have more knowledgeable people chatting about it. You always have people participating in such discussions whom need help, and some of the modding talk can get quite technical. Most of those sites have a technical support forum to refer to for such help.
That's one of the reasons I hesitated on making this post, as I wouldn't want to see a Mod Section (or Sub-Section) degraded into simply mod trouble shooting. Not that members here aren't willing to help, but it would mostly be pointing a person to other sources, like the mod author's page.

I frequent the Nexus Forums and various mod author's discussions, and I'm constantly seeing questions/statements such as, "I installed your mod and now my game crashes", and in most of the cases that person hasn't read the install instructions, installed other required mods, or paid attention to conflicting mods. Some mods are complex (as you stated), while others are basically a one click install, but it was not my intent to have a Mod Section that was basically troubleshooting.

A forum makes sense for general use mods like Reshade or UUU, but for specific games, wouldn't it be better to put it wherever the specific game goes?
Say if majority were all rpg related we could make the mod forum just an off shoot of the RPG forum, instead of apart from it.

But if mods were for all sorts of games, it makes less sense to just have it under one area. Could perhaps have a mods sub forum under each area in the General gaming area (Shooters, RPG, Puzzle).

Having a mod section with them all under it would make it easier to search for but doesn't really answer your question. Don't really want duplications.
No, we don't want duplicate posts or redundant discussions, and a mods/modding section might be too generic, so maybe the sub-forum option would work best (?). My original visions for this topic (as abstract as it was), was to have a place to discuss anything mod related in one place, rather than have them scattered all over the various sections. But if we're to discuss specific mods/mod projects, PCG articles about modding and "best mods for (name of game) or other genre specific mod information, having that information within each genre section might work best. That does leave some overlapping mod topics that cover multiple game genres, but I think it's good that we're discussing this so that refinements can be made before we make @Colif wear out his mouse in making the changes.:)

That's one of the reasons I hesitated on making this post, as I wouldn't want to see a Mod Section (or Sub-Section) degraded into simply mod trouble shooting. Not that members here aren't willing to help, but it would mostly be pointing a person to other sources, like the mod author's page.

I frequent the Nexus Forums and various mod author's discussions, and I'm constantly seeing questions/statements such as, "I installed your mod and now my game crashes", and in most of the cases that person hasn't read the install instructions, installed other required mods, or paid attention to conflicting mods. Some mods are complex (as you stated), while others are basically a one click install, but it was not my intent to have a Mod Section that was basically troubleshooting.
Yeah such topics, and even game discussion in general, often includes a lot of repeat questions by people whom haven't even read the Sticky on how to ask for such help. I must say though, this forum is far less cluttered with such talk in it's gaming forum than places like Tom's Hardware. The staff here are very understanding and flexible as well, and we have a lot of members whom participate in social gaming discussion. So I have to agree with what others have said that it's worth a try.

One of the reasons I was reluctant to think it's going to work well though is mods, poorly made ones anyway, are more likely to cause performance problems or even worse with your PC. It's rare a game can actually harm your PC, but more common that a badly made mod can. So this kind of forum would need extra consideration regarding warning players how to install and especially vet mods before using them, as well as possibly even a disclaimer that releases PC Gamer from all liability for user error.

Last edited:
I think it would be a good idea. I know this is a general gaming forum and mod post would fit in here, but I think a sub forum wouldn't be a bad idea. Might make things a little easier for those looking into modding stuff. Can also let some pay tribute to the great mods of the old days too, like Revolt, Tour of Duty and Movie Battles 2.

That does leave some overlapping mod topics that cover multiple game genres, but I think it's good that we're discussing this so that refinements can be made before we make @Colif wear out his mouse in making the changes
The topics that don't fit into one of the predefined ones (RPG, Shooter, Strategy & Simulation, Retro Gaming) can just go into General and we can work it out as we go along. As I said, could make a sub forum of each type and since admin flexible, we can see how it goes

Do we want one in Game troubleshooting or best leave that to the other forums to deal with those questions?

We might need other categories, expect more mods for game types we don't have yet, like adventure, or racing games, for instance

Last edited:
Do we want one in Game troubleshooting or best leave that to the other forums to deal with those questions?
I'm not sure we should encourage people to ask mod troubleshooting questions here. Could just become a complete mess. Seems like every mod has a group of people who can't get it to work, usually because they didn't read the installation instructions, and helping them would require a lot of research and back-and-forths, and half the people who ask questions here never come back for the answers.

TRENDING THREADS