Should my hardware be able to run at 144hz?

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Hi.

I have recently received my ACER Nitro VG270UP monitor, but I am finding that the performance my PC is providing isn't up to the mark. I bought the monitor because I wanted to be able to game at (Primarily) 144HZ and (Secondary) at 1440p. The two games I play the most are Call of Duty MW & League of Legends.

On League I have the resolution set to 2,560 x 1,440 and all other graphical settings to max (with V-sync disabled) and my PC can just about hold a steady 150FPS. On CoD the situation changes quite drastically. I am very aware that CoD has a very very different graphical requirement to LoL, I only included LoL in this post as a reference/basemark. On CoD at 2,560 x 1,440 or indeed 1,920 x 1,080 I am receiveing what I would say (based on my specs) low FPS. At 1,440 I am getting around 50-60FPS and 1,080 I am getting around 80-90FPS.

These are my PC specs.
CPU - Ryzen 2600X (Gaming mode enabled 4.15Ghz)
RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengence @ 2400 Mhz
GPU - Nvidia GeForce EVGA 1660XC
PSU - EVGA 600W 80Plus White ATX

CoD settings.
Resolution - Either 1440 or 1080
Render Resolution - 100
Screen Refresh Rate - 144
V-sync - Disabled
Custom Framerate - Unlimited

Details and Textures downwards as follows:
Normal
Normal
Low
Enabled
All

Shadow & Lighting
Normal
Enabled
Enabled
High
Disabled
Disabled
Disabled

Post Processing Effects
Filmic SMAA T2X
Enabled
Disabled
Disabled

All drivers are up to date. Game is ran on a 840 Evo. Shaders installed 100%.

Finally to reiterate my question: Should my hardware to be able to run CoD at 144hz?

Thank you for reading my wall of text!
Matt.

I don't play that game so have had to rely on Dr Google for info, but it seems like:
1) 144hz at 1440p, and constant 144hz at 1080p, is unrealistic for a 1660 for COD MW
2) Your framerates could possibly be a bit lower than expected, even so. But not necessarily.

It's a bit hard to say because with you using very customised settings rather than maximum or minimum, which is what most people test FPS on, there isn't anything fair to compare it to.

Although it seems clear that a 1660 Super is not going to do constant 144fps.

Check out the following:

While COD:MW has an array of settings to tweak, many of the individual setting increment seem to have little benefit to framerate on their own. Only turning them all to the lowest seems to give a big boost to performance. Gauging by the above.

Try again at the lowest settings. You could also try lowering resolution scale a little especially for 1440p.

Or try settings at max (no Raytracing) and compare what you get to those articles.

Also test FPS in single player rather than multi as it's much harder to replicate situations in multiplayer (obvs:))

Last edited:

MangoPop

BANNED
Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
On CoD at 2,560 x 1,440 or indeed 1,920 x 1,080 I am receiveing what I would say (based on my specs) low FPS. At 1,440 I am getting around 50-60FPS and 1,080 I am getting around 80-90FPS.

These are my PC specs.
CPU - Ryzen 2600X (Gaming mode enabled 4.15Ghz)
RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengence @ 2400 Mhz
GPU - Nvidia GeForce EVGA 1660XC
PSU - EVGA 600W 80Plus White ATX

my PC specs are almost identical:

Ryzen 5 2600
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000
ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1660 Ti Advanced

you want to play at 1440p/144Hz with 1080p/60Hz hardware. GTX 1660 SUPER (not the XC) is close to Ti fps and is said to be "entry level" for 1440p 144Hz. Here's just one example:

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Oussebon
- I seem to have found a nice medium of graphics and FPS. 80 FPS at 2k with some reduced settings. Seems to work for now but thank you for the advice.

MangoPop
- I'll have a look into it. Would you say the GPU is the only weak point from my specs?

0 FPS at 2k with some reduced settings.
That sounds about reasonable. What settings did you change from your settings above? Could help others to know :)

Would you say the GPU is the only weak point from my specs?
For 1440p gaming, yes.

Some titles might also see meaningful performance improvement from a new CPU but COD:MW isn't one of them.

Although faster RAM is ideal for Ryzen CPUs, you're unlikely to see meaningful benefit from upgrading that. It would certainly not be worth the cost unless you could recoup almost all of the spend by ebaying your old RAM.

But, if you are fundamentally okay with your performance at 1440p - e.g. your newly found balance of FPS vs graphics on your 1660 - then don't bother upgrading the GPU unless you aren't satisfied. Because by then, new GPUs offering more performance for the same or a lower price will be out :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts