Share your stories of self-isolation

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Many stores have apps and curbside pickup scheduling. Just saying.. otherwise sounds like you're doing the right thing. When I drove to my curbside pickup and crossed the WalMart parking lot, 99% of people were just carefree walking and brushing alongside each other, idling at the entrance, not pushing through. No masks. Not a good sign. I would even hesitate to enter or exit until you can pass through without being in a crowd, obviously. Goooood luck!

Reactions: Zloth
Apr 3, 2020
Visit site
Short version: This crisis has affected me minimally, and I've been extremely lucky.

I've been out of work since last year, and I already spend most of my waking hours at home on the internet, so you can imagine how I'm coping with having to stay indoors. It's pretty nice getting to stay inside in your pajamas all day, and the fact that almost all my favorite restaurants deliver means I don't have to compromise on eating well either. I may be out of work, but my country's welfare system, my very supportive family and my savings account mean I won't be left high and dry for a while.

Of course, just because I'm doing okay doesn't mean this isn't a crisis as far as I'm concerned. The fact that my home country has comprehensive healthcare and welfare systems means I can coast along at home without a care, so that makes me extremely fortunate at a time like this. I can only imagine the devastation that's happening in the US right now, with millions out of work, and many more having to brave the virus just to make ends meet. And even if they catch and survive the virus, those without health insurance are going to be in a world of hurt.

It's not just Americans that are SOL though. Even locally, our government is scrambling to salvage smaller businesses that are losing customers fast, and I feel really sorry for them too. A gaming café that I really like just started operating last December, but they've been forced to shut their doors 'til the summer, and I have no idea if they can bounce back. I imagine a lot of startups are also hurting too, and that's going to reflect on the job market once this crisis is all over. It's not a great time.

Oh right, this forum is for talking about games. I kinda decided that I wasn't going to buy any new games this year, so the fact that Epic and Ubisoft are tossing freebies left and right is pretty nice. Though for the time being, I'm still gonna focus on just clearing my backlog.

Overall, while there is a lot of suffering going on all over the world, I find it most productive to just focus on what you CAN do at the moment: Stay inside, wash your hands, and distract yourself if you have to. And count your blessings.

Reactions: indigit5l
its the weekend soon so i will have to do the grocery shopping. Whilst where i live in the uk hasn't been that bad, my family still insists i go out with a face mask and gloves. The face mask thing is the bit i'm not sure about as information has been mixed. Some people say they don't work or at worst, makes you more susceptible to catching it. others say that it will help when combined with current advice (social distancing, wash hands, minimize human contact etc etc).

outside of food concerns, work continues at home and is business as usual. Gaming wise i seem to be drawn to playing Path of exile way, way too much. nearly 4 hours a day (1/6 of my life). All so that i can get that cloak for 24 challenges. I'm at 14 and just a few away from getting 16 completed.

Last edited:
Reactions: indigit5l

Zloth

Community Contributor
Many stores have apps and curbside pickup scheduling.
The local grocery store has that so I tried it on Tuesday. The first time I could schedule wasn't until Thursday so I set that up for between 4-5pm. Around 2:30pm on Thursday I get an email saying they are swamped and the order will be "a bit late." At 7:30pm I call up and find out there's really no chance it will get done that day so I ate dinner then went in at 9pm.

Turned out that was a great time to go! I nearly had the store to myself! Of course, that's also after everyone else has been through so it's likely the worst time in terms of picking up the virus from something I touched - but I was careful not to touch my face with my hands (push glasses up with the back of my wrist), washed my hands after getting everything put away, and then tried not to touch anything I bought for 24 hours after that.

The paper aisle was flat out empty. No toilet paper, no Kleenex, no paper towels, just a sign saying "limit 1." Glad I didn't need any. Beans & rice was really low for some reason. The one that really confused me, though, was ground beef. There was lots of it that was 80% and 85% lean but none at all for 90% or higher. Errr… why? I was able to find everything else, though I had to look to the back of some shelves to get a few of them.

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Here in Australia people are calling isolation "iso" and coronavirus "the rona" because there's nothing we won't abbreviate. While we're in iso, my roleplaying group have started playing over Discord, which we're still getting used to. Not being in the same room is weird for us.

The shops around here have toilet paper again, but they're still low on pasta and rice.

Zoid

Community Contributor
Here in Australia people are calling isolation "iso" and coronavirus "the rona" because there's nothing we won't abbreviate. While we're in iso, my roleplaying group have started playing over Discord, which we're still getting used to. Not being in the same room is weird for us.

The shops around here have toilet paper again, but they're still low on pasta and rice.
My friends and I are also calling it the rona, but I'll have to see if I can get iso to catch on. We are also planning to start a D&D session over video chat!

I am doing okay so far.

I am able to work from home, and am happy watchung TV shows and playing video games to keep myself occupied - but I do miss seeing my family. I live alone, and normally see my family quite regularly, but we are just having to Whatsapp each other in our family group.

The Elder scrolls Online guild I am in having been going into voice chats every Monday and Friday to complete some trials, so I'm at least getting some social interaction and using my voice

I live close to a supermarket, and I usually go every couple of days to make sure I have fresh produce and nothing goes to waste. Now I am only shopping once a week, so I am having to plan my weekly meals out a bit better and not just have whatever I fancy that day. I also run out of milk near the end of the week, and porridge with water is gross.

I did expect to be a bit more productive with my gaming time and work on completing some games, but I've just been playing the same online games :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Zoid
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS