Question Seeking Suggestions for a Tight Budget PC Build ($290)

Oct 1, 2023
Visit site
Hello everyone

I'm looking for suggestions for a PC build. My budget is pretty tight, with a maximum of $290. I understand that this is a limited budget, but I hope to find components that allow me to perform basic tasks efficiently.

Here are the details:

Budget: $290
Purpose: General use (internet browsing, simple games, maybe heavy games)
Preferred components: Open to suggestions, although I would like an AMD CPU, with its integrated graphics.
Favorite store: I am from Mexico, where I live there are several computer stores, there I will buy the components, that store is called (PCel)

I would appreciate any help or suggestions you could provide. Thank you! :Sunglasses:

[Mod edit: Appeared in Spanish today for some reason, so translated above.]

Hola a todos,

Estoy buscando sugerencias para una compilación de PC. Mi presupuesto es bastante ajustado, con un máximo de $ 290. Entiendo que este es un presupuesto limitado, pero espero encontrar componentes que me permitan realizar tareas básicas de manera eficiente.

Aquí están los detalles:

• Presupuesto: $290
  • Propósito: Uso general (navegación por Internet, juegos simples, tal vez juegos pesados)
  • Componentes preferidos: Abierto a sugerencias, aunque me gustaría una CPU AMD, con sus gráficos integrados.
  • Tienda preferida: Soy de México, donde vivo hay varias tiendas de computadoras, allí compraré los componentes, esa tienda se llama (PCel)

Agradecería cualquier ayuda o sugerencia que pudiera brindar. ¡Gracias! :Gafas de sol:

[Edición de mod: se eliminó el color para que sea legible en temas oscuros.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 2, 2023
Visit site
Building a PC on a tight budget of $290 can be challenging, but it's definitely possible. To maximize your performance within this budget, you'll need to make some compromises and focus on getting the best value for your money. Here's a suggested PC build:
  1. CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G or AMD Athlon 3000G (both have integrated graphics).
  2. Motherboard: A compatible AM4 socket motherboard.
  3. RAM: 8GB DDR4.
  4. Storage: 240GB SSD.
  5. Power Supply: 400W.
  6. Case: Budget-friendly case.
This should give you a basic PC setup within a $290 budget. Keep in mind that you might need to reuse peripherals like a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, as those would be additional costs if not available.

You're probably going to get the most bang for your buck looking at older hardware and budgeting for that, plus a dedicated video card. You'll need to do a little more research here and ensure parts are compatible here, but you can get a lot of gaming power for not much money this way:

Dell Optiplex 3040 with an i7-6700, 16Gb of RAM

GTX 950

Total spend before tax - $240

You should be able to get away with this without upgrading the PSU or anything and it would be well within your budget. It should play relatively modern stuff--probably not Starfield or Cyberpunk--especially AAA games that came out within the past 5-10 years. For reference, I had a gaming PC in my living room that would regularly play XCOM2, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Lego City Undercover, Subnautica, Just Cause 3/4, Spider-Man Remastered and on and on, it was a Thinkserver TS140 with an E3-1225 v3 and a GTX 750 on a stock PSU. It played most everything I asked it to without a problem.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Are there any small computer shops near you, especially ones which do repairs?

They might have an old system or parts they'd give you for that money, and agree to minor fixes in future if necessary.

With old parts, someone you can trust a bit more is a help.

TRENDING THREADS