Question Ryzen 7 5700G APU - Freezing and/or BSOD

Jan 5, 2022
Visit site
Hi guys, new here.

I come in search of desperate help. Just built my PC a month ago, and can't seem to get it right. There's definitively something wrong and I don't know what else to do.

It will randomly freeze, sound keeps going, and after some seconds screen goes black, and complete lockup. Will do it every couple of hours at least.
Sometimes it will go BSOD too, or tabs in Firefox crash randomly. Very, very unstable.
The lockups happen especially when gaming or doing 3D rendering stuff.
I have tried with W11 and W10 with no noticeable difference.

Specs:
APU: Ryzen 7 5700G
MB: Asus ROG Strix B550F Gaming WiFi
RAM: (2x8)16Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3600Mhz
PSU: Corsair RM650W 80+Gold
SSD: Samsung 980 Nvme 500Gb

Corsair H100i Capellix AIO 240mm
Corsair 4000x Chassis

So far I have tried the following with no success:

- Reinstalling SO (W11 or W10)
- BIOS Update from 2403 to 2423
- Enable/Disable DOCP to 3600
- Manually entering 3600 Mhz / 1800 FCLK
- Enabling / Disabling Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO)
- Installing drivers from AMD and from Asus, different versions. Still having lockups.
- With and without Armoury Crate
- With and without iCue
- Reseating PSU cables (x3)
- Changing RAM modules (installed in A2/B2 as per MB instructions)
- Using a single stick of RAM. (This gave me hope as I could play for about 1 hour)
- Tightening/ Loosening AIO pump mount screws
- Tightening / loosening MB screws
- Cleared CMOS
- Set SOC Voltage to 1.05
- Disabling C-States
- (Everyone says to change Power Supply Idle Control to Typical, but this is a setting I can't seem to find in my BIOS)
-Reinstalling RAM, APU, checking MB connections.
-Can't really remember what else I have done so far.

Benchmarks passed without any issues, and with max 75C for the CPU package during the most demanding tests.
- Heaven (with and without OC)
- Cinebench R23
- OCCT
- MemTest86 (x4 times. Twice with both sticks, and once for every RAM stick)

I have read most of (if not all) of the forums and topics covering similar issues.
I am afraid there's something wrong with my hardware, but don't know where to start to get a clear diagnose.

Guys, I really need your help.
I can get similar sticks of RAM but with different timings, I would change from C18 to C16 which should be better. But can't really tell if this is the issue.
Do you think it's the RAM? APU? MB?

Your help is greatly appreciated,
And if you just read all of this, thanks!

[Mod edit: changed title from "Desperate Help! Ryzen 7 5700G APU - Freezing and/or BSOD".]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Sorry, I probably won't be much help, but I have to ask whether you did a clean installation/upgrade of Windows or whether you just let Windows do it's thing. I ask this because if you just do a regular reinstall or upgrade, Windows will carry over some problems to the new installation. What you need to do to really fix Windows problems is create a bootable flash drive (or whatever as long as it's an external device), boot with it by going into the BIOS, and then select "Custom Install" and go through the options there to get a clean installation.

If you want to try it, here are the links to Microsoft to create the bootable drive:

Windows 10
Windows 11

Jan 5, 2022
Visit site
Sorry, I probably won't be much help, but I have to ask whether you did a clean installation/upgrade of Windows or whether you just let Windows do it's thing. I ask this because if you just do a regular reinstall or upgrade, Windows will carry over some problems to the new installation. What you need to do to really fix Windows problems is create a bootable flash drive (or whatever as long as it's an external device), boot with it by going into the BIOS, and then select "Custom Install" and go through the options there to get a clean installation.

If you want to try it, here are the links to Microsoft to create the bootable drive:

Windows 10
Windows 11
Thanks Zed! Yeah I've done clean installs everytime.
With 10 and 11. I've reinstalled everything at least 5-6 times now 🤣

Thanks Zed! Yeah I've done clean installs everytime.
With 10 and 11. I've reinstalled everything at least 5-6 times now 🤣

We've got a number of people who know hardware a lot more than I do. Hopefully one of them will show up. Have you asked anyone at Tom's Hardware? They tend to be the go to experts on this sort of thing. One of the guys who helps people here also does it there.

Jan 5, 2022
Visit site
We've got a number of people who know hardware a lot more than I do. Hopefully one of them will show up. Have you asked anyone at Tom's Hardware? They tend to be the go to experts on this sort of thing. One of the guys who helps people here also does it there.

Yeah!
I posted this same issue at Tom's too.

UPDATE: It froze again a couple of minutes ago, but I left it alone for about 10-15 minutes and booom it rose back from the death with an AMD Driver Timeout message.
It seems to be a driver issue after all. But this leaves me even more confused as I can't seem to find any driver that works, not even using DDU or AMD Clean Up.

Hi what is the exact model of the RAM kit youre using?

like this.

CMR16GX4M2C3600C18

If its not on the QVL I bet youre having RAM problems.

Memtest is good for finding if your RAM sticks are broken, its essentially useless for finding if an overclock is unstable. Your RAM running at XMP/DOCP settings is overclocked. Therefore Memtest wont help.

Run HCI Memtest and report back. An instance of the program for each thread your CPU has, with 900MB on each thread.

This covers 90% of your system RAM, you should run for 1000% coverage to be sure. But from what you describe it will probably fail long before that.

Welcome to the forum :)

lockups happen especially when gaming or doing 3D rendering

Q for the experts: isn't an APU sort of half-way between integrated graphics and a graphics card? So not at all as good as a card under those heavier load apps where the crashing is most common?

@Juanchoyo what game titles tend to crash it most? Just to get an idea of the load level.

Jan 5, 2022
Visit site
Hi what is the exact model of the RAM kit youre using?

like this.

CMR16GX4M2C3600C18

If its not on the QVL I bet youre having RAM problems.

Memtest is good for finding if your RAM sticks are broken, its essentially useless for finding if an overclock is unstable. Your RAM running at XMP/DOCP settings is overclocked. Therefore Memtest wont help.

Run HCI Memtest and report back. An instance of the program for each thread your CPU has, with 900MB on each thread.

This covers 90% of your system RAM, you should run for 1000% coverage to be sure. But from what you describe it will probably fail long before that.

Thanks Kaamos,

This is the exact RAM model
‎CMW16GX4M2C3600C18W

I checked AMD and Asus QVL, it's on both lists ifI'm not mistaken.

Great tip, I will do the HCI Memtest then.
Thanks

Jan 5, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

Q for the experts: isn't an APU sort of half-way between integrated graphics and a graphics card? So not at all as good as a card under those heavier load apps where the crashing is most common?

@Juanchoyo what game titles tend to crash it most? Just to get an idea of the load level.
Hi Brian!

Well, it crashes randomly even in idle. But the AMD Driver Timeout error happens sooner if Im gaming, sometimes watching YouTube.

It's not really a heavy load like a benchmark. These are doing fine.
I've used Doom, Dirt 2.0 and SketchUp 2021 mostly.

But if you throw a heavier game at it than the APU can handle, won't it crash to protect the hardware—even tho without overload it's quite stable?

Been so long since I've been under minimum requirements for anything I don't know for sure, but I dont think so. I remember some things running like a slideshow or crashing to desktop, but not so much hard locking up the whole system. At least not since Windows ME!

Thanks Kaamos,

This is the exact RAM model
‎CMW16GX4M2C3600C18W

I checked AMD and Asus QVL, it's on both lists ifI'm not mistaken.

Great tip, I will do the HCI Memtest then.
Thanks

Seems Version 4.31 is on the QVL, could be that you have an earlier or different revision with different IC's. They sometimes change the actual RAM chips on the sticks and keep the same part numbers.

Still a good idea to run HCI or another RAM stability test and check.

Jan 5, 2022
Visit site
Been so long since I've been under minimum requirements for anything I don't know for sure, but I dont think so. I remember some things running like a slideshow or crashing to desktop, but not so much hard locking up the whole system. At least not since Windows ME!

Seems Version 4.31 is on the QVL, could be that you have an earlier or different revision with different IC's. They sometimes change the actual RAM chips on the sticks and keep the same part numbers.

Still a good idea to run HCI or another RAM stability test and check.
Do you think that HCI would reveal a compatibility issue? It doesn't necessarily mean the RAM is bad, right? Just not compatible with this particular Ryzen APU.

Thanks for your help

It would mean that it was unstable with your board and CPU combination. That one or more of the timings was to low, basically meaning its 'overclocked' to high and causing errors, which lead to freezes and other problems.

If you could isolate which it was you could in theory set all the timings and subtimings to a level where they would work. Problem is there's a lot of timings to test one by one and a lot of reading and time spent testing to find out what theya re and how they relate to each other.

I've only dipped my toe in RAM overclocking so I cant really help with anything more involved, but I know enough to know that.

Has he posted dump files?
What BSOD codes are you getting?
If it survived a reinstall it is probably hard ware.
I am on here and tom's hardware so what is the link there? I will look just so I don't contradict a possible answer.
I will edit this later once I can add more info that I lack on my phone.
I have fixed a few BSOD in the last 6 years.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
@Colif No dump files yet, freezes and weird browser tab behaviour with sometimes BSOD but not always under load and at idle seemingly randomly.

Fresh Windows Install, BIOS latest lots of common fault finding done already.

Removing one stick of RAM seemed to help, less frequent instability.

Just sounds like RAM instability to me, of course can always be wrong but good to rule out :)

Jan 5, 2022
Visit site
Maybe run prime95 as it checks ram and CPU, in about 8 hours I add a few things to this thread. Kind of stuck without a pc or power (black out)

Thanks Colif! I guess I need to try HCIMemtest and then Prime95 tonight.

I remember these codes on the BSOD.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Lately I haven't got many BSOD but lockups with black screen, and after some minutes the AMD Driver Timeout message.

I can get a different set of RAM sticks next week from Amazon, but I would need to check if they're on the QVL list first.

Last edited:
SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION
that is unusual. I don't like unusual.
Would have been nice to see results - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/special-pool
Other 2 more common.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

maybe we get it via this.

Meant to ask, tried safe mode?

which os you on?
for win 10
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode
for win 11, just change the first 2 steps to settings/recovery/advanced startup - restart now
everything else is the same I think. I haven't tried getting into safe mode in win 11 yet.

Helps to check either qvl of motherboard or possibly ram makers site to see if they tested the ram you want with the motherboard/cpu combo as Ryzen picky about ram choices.

can you tell I have my pc now?

• Love
Jan 5, 2022
Visit site
Would have been nice to see results - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/special-pool
Other 2 more common.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder

which os you on?
for win 10
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
for win 11, just change the first 2 steps to settings/recovery/advanced startup - restart now
everything else is the same I think. I haven't tried getting into safe mode in win 11 yet.

Helps to check either qvl of motherboard or possibly ram makers site to see if they tested the ram you want with the motherboard/cpu combo as Ryzen picky about ram choices.

LOL, yeah I can tell.

Well, I have gone into Safe Mode just to use DDU or AMD Cleanup Utility.
But haven't used it long enough to notice any freezing.

Ill upload the dump files and the AMD Crash Report in a couple of hours when I get home.
Thanks man!

Jan 5, 2022
Visit site
Other 2 more common.

which os you on?
for win 10
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced

Hi again!

Got 3 dump files. Could you please check them?

And this is the AMD Crash report, after the last Driver Timeout. Hope this is useful.

I guess I'll buy these RAM now. It's on the QVL list from AMD. Even if the sticks I currently have are fine, this is faster.
What do you think?

EDIT: Memtest currently running, completing around 650% right now. Will leave it running all night. 0 Errors so far.

EDIT: Memtest currently running, completing around 650% right now. Will leave it running all night. 0 Errors so far.

Just double checking. You opened up 16 instances of the program so there are 16 different windows on the desktop (1 for each CPU thread). And set each to use an equal amount of RAM so that it totals 90% of 16GB. (14.4/16 = 900MB)

Jan 5, 2022
Visit site
Just double checking. You opened up 16 instances of the program so there are 16 different windows on the desktop (1 for each CPU thread). And set each to use an equal amount of RAM so that it totals 90% of 16GB. (14.4/16 = 900MB)

Good morning!
We have results. 0 Errors after 11 hours of testing.
Buuuuut, I only used 10 instances (thought it was for the 8 cores, and added 2 more for safety)

Will leave it with 16 while I go to work.

I still need to try Prime95. I guess it will be tonight.
I'm having a hard time trying to understand that the RAM might be bad after all these good tests.

TRENDING THREADS