RPG burnout :(

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Ok guys. I have to admit that D:OS2 made me a little RPG burnout (or maybe that's not D:OS2 but tons of other RPGs that I played in the last few years). What I mean is that RPG games stopped bringing me joy. And I'm having a hard time to dig through the statistics, dialogues etc. I've been playing less RPGs and more FPSs lately to cope with the issue somehow, but it's not getting better in a significant way. I can say that FPS games are still fun, so it's not a problem with gaming in overall. Looks like I need to experiment with different genres, maybe try some unique indie games. I guess it's time for a longer break from the genre. And to think this happened when I started playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker... :/ It's such a great game... Did someone experience a similar issue? Did it get any better in time or do I have to prepare for retirement? ;)

I'm currently kind of going through it, myself. I'm on my very last run of Divinity to complete all the achievements (4 left and they're all related to two character endings), starting my second game of Pathfinder because I screwed up the first one with kingdom management, and waiting on BG3. I'm starting to feel that burnout and am spending less time on these as a result. Dead Matter enters closed alpha tonight so I'm hoping the survival stuff will help me break out of this before BG3 hits, and maybe Wasteland 3. I know I'll be able to jump into BG3 and love it from the get go regardless, but I'd rather be all in than mostly or somewhat in.

I do notice I go through phases with my gaming, though. before divinity came out, I was pretty much stuck exclusively on PvP shooters. Before that I was stuck on survival games like Empyrion or 7 days to die, and before that on management games like factorio/rimworld. I think that sort of thing is pretty normal, at least for people like myself who spends way too much time playing video games. Sticking with any one genre too long just makes it too easy to burn out.

Reactions: Sarafan

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Focusing on only one genre may be tedious. I made that mistake. Maybe I'll try Ark Survival Evolved as a part of the break from RPGs. It's sitting in my library since it was given away for free, but I didn't have the occasion to play it yet. I clearly need something fresh.

Zloth

Community Contributor
The really long RPGs (and Kingmaker is definitely one of those) can use a break here and there. I like to use 4X games for that sort of thing. Lots of short games would do just as well, like Outer Wilds, or something more arcade'y like a fighting game.

I also don't do RPGs back to back or, if I do, they are different kinds. I wouldn't follow Pathfinder: Kingmaker with Divinity: Original Sin, for instance, but I might follow it with the older Divinity 2 game, which is far more action oriented.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Never happened to me, but I don't keep to single genre all the time. I guess mixing it up is the best way to enjoy everything? Even now, while I started my current Pathfinder: Kingmaker playthrough, I also play some StarCraft II (as usual since 2012 :p) and mixing in either some small indie game like Kingdoms (didn't finish it tho) or Europa Universalis IV.

Mix it up, take a break from long full blooded cRPG's and come back when you'll feel hungry for these again. You know you will.

I think mixing up the games is a good strategy or trying out some games within a genre that really bring with them something new; jumping from something like D:OS2 and straight to Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines as an example. Another strategy I sometimes use is to just go absolutely bonkers with a game to make it more fun, like how I did with Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire when it got a little tedious. I decided to go full zerg and just nuke everything I met, not caring about anyone or anything. That sparked things up:)

Reactions: Zloth and Sarafan

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Thanks for the answers everyone! I hope that my problem is only temporal and RPGs will start to bring me joy once again. Some great titles from this genre are coming in the near future and I'd like to play them with fun. CP2077 will be more action oriented. FPS is my second favorite genre, so a combination of RPG and FPS should be quite enjoying for me even now. But I hope things will improve faster than in 3 months!

Reactions: Zloth and Frindis

TRENDING THREADS