Retro PC build power supply/SLI

Nov 25, 2020
Visit site
I'm building a new to me retro gaming PC and I'm just wondering if 620 watt power supply will support two GTX 460 I'm running an FX 8350 CPU and have 3 120mm fans running plus an SSD hard drive and an older mechanical hard drive just wondering if I have enough power to support all of it?

Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
I'm building a new to me retro gaming PC and I'm just wondering if 620 watt power supply will support two GTX 460 I'm running an FX 8350 CPU and have 3 120mm fans running plus an SSD hard drive and an older mechanical hard drive just wondering if I have enough power to support all of it?

620 watts doesn't sound like a modern branded power supply with 80+ silver or gold.

So I think it will take some time, but if you want to overclock the CPU and you have to do that to properly fuel your SLi setup, it could quickly become very scarce, especially with a power supply that is rather inferior in terms of efficiency.

I would advise you to invest in a new 700 WAtt 80+ Gold brand power supply from Silverstone, Corsair, Enermax, Thermaltake or be quiet.

But there are of course many other good companies that build power supplies, super flower or cougar, kolink as well

@8iosat has a point, although I'll point out that 80plus rating isnt a measure of quality only of efficiency.

You might be o.k. Seems the GTX460s will use something around 150-175 watts each. An 8350 system can easily use 200 watts by itself without any load on the graphics.

Which leaves you at 550 watts worst case scenario.

Double check that PSU runs the whole 620 watts on the 12v rail(s). Hopefully you arent trying to overclock the 8350 or 460's as that will push it close to the edge if not over.

TRENDING THREADS