PCG Article Resident Evil 4 Remake is ditching QTEs and I couldn't be more upset

At least Ashley sounds like she'll be harder for the zombies to kill this time.

In another revelation, we find out that they've added durability to the knife. Ha! I never use the knife! Sure, I've watched other people play. They shoot the Ganado in the legs with the pistol and then slash them repeatedly with the knife. That's fine, I guess, but I shoot for the head, which works out to the same amount of ammo used on your average mob.

So, who is upset you don't have to mash buttons to run from the boulder anymore? Certainly not me. QTE's were about the only things that killed me in that game.

Certainly not me
You sure about that? Sounds to me like you wrote that article:
"I'm going to be bold, steely-eyed, and handsome enough to say it"
If that's not classic Zed, I dunno… :D

I didn't expect to ever find someone who actually enjoys QTEs.
Seconded. I wonder do they work better on controllers, maybe? @WoodenSaucer over to you…

Seconded. I wonder do they work better on controllers, maybe? @WoodenSaucer over to you…
I'm no expert on QTEs, but I'll bet they would work better on a controller. But I guess if you're used to keyboard and mouse, it would probably be similar.

I'm not a fan of a lot of QTEs, but I'm fine with them peppered throughout the games in small amounts, like they did with the Tomb Raider trilogy.

I'm no expert on QTEs, but I'll bet they would work better on a controller. But I guess if you're used to keyboard and mouse, it would probably be similar.

I'm not a fan of a lot of QTEs, but I'm fine with them peppered throughout the games in small amounts, like they did with the Tomb Raider trilogy.
There were only a handful, if that many, in RE4, but they were tough.

I picked up RE4 on sale a while ago, missed out on it back then, still havent played it.

As far as QTE sequences go, I mentioned when I was talking about Uncharted 4. I like them when you manage to get through first time by the skin of your teeth, they can get you on the edge of your seat when done right. If you have to repeat more than once or twice then they can be frustrating and not so exciting anymore.

If its the kind of QTE you get when you're grabbed by a zombie or something and have to hammer a button, I'd mostly rather not.

It was like that in Far Cry 3, the worst was the 'boss fight' v Vaas, but it wasn't too bad—got thru on second try as a QTE lamer.

Others were when jumped by a tiger or similar, mash A to survive—except next time it was mash D or C or…
Haha. On a controller, I have buttons A, B, X, and Y. I hate those QTE sequences where they just randomly throw out different buttons that you have to immediately push.

The worst use of QTE's for me was in the original Dying Light. The final boss battle has you climbing to the top of a huge skyscraper that is falling apart. The whole way up I was thinking, "This is going to be amazing fighting the final boss on top of a crumbling skyscraper." Then you get there and the whole thing is a cutscene interrupted with the first QTE of the game. Ugh.
If its the kind of QTE you get when you're grabbed by a zombie or something and have to hammer a button, I'd mostly rather not.
For some reason I never thought of those as QTE's. But, no, while those exist, the problem QTE's in RE4 are much more involved. For instance, you have to hit one key as fast as possible to run away from a rolling boulder, and then all of a sudden it asks you to hit a different key.

TRENDING THREADS